*** MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: DEAD RECKONING PART ONE *** (Spoiler Thread)

10,191 Views | 98 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by G.I.Bro
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Now that at least one person here has seen it, and fan screenings begin tomorrow (Sunday), it's finally time to get a spoiler thread going.

Also, just a reminder that this releases on Wednesday, not Friday. They pushed up the official release by two days, and then added fan screenings starting tomorrow, after Oppenheimer wouldn't budge from from any IMAX screens starting the 20th. In other words, you'll have less than two weeks, and only one full weekend, to catch this in IMAX, so plan accordingly.

As for me, I'm seeing it a week from today, so I'll see you guys back here then...
Eso si, Que es
Got my tix for Tuesday afternoon. High expectations.
nosoupforyou
AG
tickets for Early Access tonight at 7 - just posting here now so I can share thoughts and questions with others that have seen it
CoppellAg93
AG
Going Saturday at Noon - will have to skip this thread until then.
BCSWguru
caught some behind the scenes stuff on twitter. Apparently Tom Cruise rode the motorcycle off the cliff six times to get the shots they did. Pretty unreal.

also great to see Esai Morales again. He will never not be Bob in La Bamba to me, though.
YNWA_AG
AG
Really enjoyed it. Not as good as fallout but about the same as rogue nation.

The premise was really entertaining and well done. Final train sequence was great. Can't wait for part 2
nosoupforyou
AG
YNWA_AG said:

Really enjoyed it. Not as good as fallout but about the same as rogue nation.

The premise was really entertaining and well done. Final train sequence was great. Can't wait for part 2

This is exactly my thoughts

But I expect 8 to match or even exceed Fallout

Overall it was fun

Need to fill in more storyline about Gabriel and Ethan before Mission 1.

Who was the person Gabriel shot when he was younger?

What was the date from the submarine scene at the beginning?

Where was The Entity all this time?
BassCowboy33
That. Was. AWESOME.

Stunts weren't as crazy as Fallout, but the pacing was much better. I've never seen Pom in a role like that before. Some serious physical range there. Atwell was a great addition.
BoydCrowder13
Sucks that Ilsa is gone. They had kind of built her up to be Ethan's soulmate (only chick to be in the majority of 2 movies). Granted Hayley Atwell is pretty perfect.

Thought it was great but the Gabriel character kind of comes out of left field. They'll need to do a better job with his backstory in Part 2.

Not sure how I feel about the Eagle Eye plot.

I think I enjoyed Fallout and Rogue Nation more. We'll see how they tie everything up!
BassCowboy33
How I'd rank them:

1. Fallout
2. M:I
3. Dead Reckoning P1
4. M:I-3
5. Rogue Nation
6. Ghost Protocol
7. M:I-2

I admittedly am not as high on Solomon Lane as some people. He always seemed like a lame villain to me.
JayHowdy!
I agree that Fallout and Rogue Nation were better, but not by much. Maybe because there was not a true ending to this one. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, and I could have watched parts 1&2 back to back, if I had that option. The action scenes were very well done and bringing in Haley Atwell was a great casting choice. I also agree that we needed a little more back story on Gabriel to bring the audiences back up to speed with the character.

After watching Maverick 3 or 4 times over the past year, it took me a little while to adjust to Tom playing Ethan Hunt instead of Maverick.

Great fun and I will probably go back to see it on IMAX.
Eso si, Que es
Thoroughly enjoyed it. The Fiat chase scene was freaking hilarious.

Luther and Benji are showing their age, but I loved it. Seeing Benji spearhead the bomb defusing without involving Ethan was cool. Ethan's line about your life will always be more important to me than my life was spot on.

I loved that there were several people checking to see if people were wearing masks, kind of Austin Powers - thats a man, baby!

I agree with everything said about Gabriel, it just felt like I was supposed to know some stuff that I didn't know. Like I went to pee during an important scene. Will catch another viewing.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Awesome. Easily a close runner-up to Fallout as the second best in the series.

Really, there was two things that kept this from being the best for me. First, the plot was really hard to follow at times, even for an M:I movie. I kinda felt like I was trying to keep my head above water just trying to keep up with character motivations, objectives, alliances, etc. Second, I feel like it might have ventured just a bit too into sci-fi territory with the Entity. I still like it, but it felt a bit too much like magic at times.

Other than that, absolutely loved it. The train sequence was amazing.

Somehow this franchise is still pumping out fantastic movies seven movies in. Between this and John Wick 4, it's a hell of a year for action movies.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, with the three major action franchises having so many movies now (M:I, F&F, John Wick), I started noticing a lot of random connections between them.

Fallout and John Wick 4 both have major action scenes set at the Arc de Triumph in Paris.

Fast X and Dead Reckoning both have car chases in Rome. And Wick visits Rome in JW2.

JW4 and Dead Reckoning start with our heroes riding horseback in the desert.

Brian's FBI buddy in F&F is the guy chasing Ethan in Dead Reckoning.

Laurence Fishburne in both JW and M:I3.

Vanessa Kirby in Fallout/DR, and Hobbes & Shaw.

Fate of the Furious and DR have submarines below ice.
jograki
AG
JayHowdy! said:

After watching Maverick 3 or 4 times over the past year, it took me a little while to adjust to Tom playing Ethan Hunt instead of Maverick.

Especially since "Warlock" (Charles Parnell) was at the Intelligence briefing.
BassCowboy33
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Also, with the three major action franchises having so many movies now (M:I, F&F, John Wick), I started noticing a lot of random connections between them.

Fallout and John Wick 4 both have major action scenes set at the Arc de Triumph in Paris.

Fast X and Dead Reckoning both have car chases in Rome. And Wick visits Rome in JW2.

JW4 and Dead Reckoning start with our heroes riding horseback in the desert.

Brian's FBI buddy in F&F is the guy chasing Ethan in Dead Reckoning.

Laurence Fishburne in both JW and M:I3.

Vanessa Kirby in Fallout/DR, and Hobbes & Shaw.

Fate of the Furious and DR have submarines below ice.
I do love how much Vanessa Kirby plays to Max's demeanor and mannerisms. Totally believable.
nosoupforyou
AG
ok - on the train - how does Gabriel get on?

Answer - he was in a box wearing an oxygen mask

but wait... it was more like a welding helmet he was wearing - with a blue light on it - and the sound of The Entity.

so I think he was learning what will happen in the future when in there as he communicates with The Entity

did anyone else see that?
MrPlow2010
AG
I thought it was incredible. I don't know how he does it but Cruise can still bring it. Haley Atwell is gorgeous. She looked amazing in the whole airport scene. I hope they explain Gabriel more and his backstory . It felt a little fast and furiousy just introducing him and saying he made Ethan who he is today.

I did like how it didn't end with the team losing the key and having no hope. Now they don't have to try to get it again in part 2.

Can't wait for part 2. I love James Bond and Daniel Craig but the Mission Impossible movies are what I wish the Bond movies could be.
toucan82
I was sure Benji was going to die as Ethan was parachuting toward him
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Thinking about viewing #2 this weekend.
mslags97
AG
The only thing I didn't love about it is having to wait a year for part 2.

I love these movies. Outside of the oddity that was MI2, these are all great.

I am not sure where to place this one, but I think it's premature, because it's not the whole story. Part 2 could change your feelings about this one….

I loved Fallout, but I thought the pacing in this one was so much better.

What a great franchise! My favorite action franchise with Wick the only other I would put even close.

As weird and nutty as Cruise is, man he is a great action movie star. Gotta be the best ever.
pfo
AG
Totally awesome movie! We loved it! Easily one of the best movies I have ever seen. Non stop action and no corners cut.
CAR96
AG
Saw it last night in IMAX and really enjoyed the movie. I cannot say that I am a huge mission. Impossible guru, but I do own all the movies, and do not have a ranking.

Of course, the motorcycle jump scene was amazing and the Fiat/handcuff driving scene was wild. The train scene at the end has to be one of the top action scenes ever filmed

And I have been a huge with a crush on Haley Atwell for a long time and she looked amazing in this movie
Froppe
AG
We saw it on IMAX yestiddy, and loved it. Great movie!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
PlanoAggie
AG
Wife and I enjoyed MIR Part 1, can't wait for Part 2!!

These are always so fun to watch!

Except for Ilsa dying She was one of our favorites!
FancyKetchup14
AG
That movie was awesome. I'd also rank it a tad bit behind fallout (which is my number 1 in the franchise) but that's such a high standard to overtake. The set pieces were great, stunts were fun as usual, and I love how these movies do a good job of really placing you in a city vs just an overhead shot with "Rome" digitalized at the bottom.

The plot was a bit convoluted for me at first, maybe cause I'm just too smooth brained to properly understand AI, but eventually it kinda mapped itself out for me. And I don't mind this villain, but after recently watching M:I 3, every villain will be chasing PSH.

I hated seeing Ilse die, especially after her and Ethan's brief moment in Venice. But man, what more can be said about Haley Atwell. She crushed it in her role and not to mention she's absolutely stunning.

in all, really good movie and can't wait for a rewatch when it hits streaming.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Great movie with lots of fantastic action. Loved the train but also the car chase with the chick with the antennas in the Humvee and Mav+Cap's girlfriend in the yellow Fiat.

I'll wait to rank this one since Part Two could very well elevate it, but I already think Part One is trailing only the last one and at least equivalent to a couple of the other recent entries in the series.
#FJB
Jack Thauer
AG
Huge MI fan. Surprised at the critical response and response in this thread so far. Near the bottom for me in terms of the series. Gabriel coming out of nowhere makes zero sense and feels very F&F.

Rogue Nation and Fallout provide a continued story which I like. I'm fine not having Lane in this one but continuing the Syndicate storyline makes more sense than the AI/Gabriel stuff. Just my opinion but clearly in the minority.

The train scene was cool but just sat there thinking it was just Uncharted 2 (one of my favorite games ever but didn't feel original)

Was a great IMaX experience though.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I've seen it twice now and it has fallen just a bit for me. I may rank this just slightly lower than 1 now, mostly due to the story issues like you had. Maybe right about on par with Rogue Nation for me now in third place.
MEENag
AG
Just saw. Badass.
We went to Italy last summer and visited Venice and Rome so we related on that level as well… familiar settings.
I recommend seeing this in the theater and not waiting.
T dizl televizl
AG
I agree with you. Not trying to **** on the movie but it never really clicked for me. I think my main problem was the "villain" being AI / sentient learning / computer program. I just never really felt invested in that.

Another issue was the humor just didn't land for me. Prior movies had him and Simon pegg bouncing off each other better imo. Part of this might also be Elsa foust (who I've really liked) being killed off and just instantly replaced with a hot chick that just happens to be there.

Just saw it tonight so still trying to process it, but I really enjoyed the last 3 and this one just didn't do it for me.

Action was great but for some reason felt like it maybe erred too far on the side of unbelievable. I know that is a fine line they have to toe. So don't want to be too critical of that. Tom cruise is incredible for what he can still do. I do really appreciate that he is still making movies that make me want to go to the movie theater still (this and top gun)
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Caught it tonight and would rate it middle of the pack as far as MI movies go, which is still better than most action movies

The performances were all fantastic. Every single actor nailed their role and was compelling.

The stunts were good, but I was expecting more. And I really didn't like that they showed all the major set pieces in trailers and commercials that were practically impossible to avoid. I kind of knew where the whole movie was going because I knew there'd be a jump and I knew there'd be a train, etc. as a result, the beginning spy stuff in the airport was one of the most engaging scenes because it was the only thing I hadn't seen in commercials.

The story was… weak. Introducing a backstory for Ethan that involves Gabriel and some woman being killed is a really weird thing to save for your seventh movie. And then to never explain it? Why hold that for a sequel? Give us the compelling backstory of Ethan and Gabriel now.
The stakes are also muddled. What does the AI want to do? Why does Gabriel work for it? If the AI is so all-powerful, why doesn't it just take over Tom Cruise's car and crash him into a wall so he's dead and it looks like an accident? (The AI was as powerful or as weak as the story needed it to be at any given moment, which is weak storytelling)
Grace's motives were pretty muddy the entire movie, too. And a lot was rushed through to prevent the audience from realizing "hey, this doesn't make very much sense."

I felt like I must have missed something with the Americans hunting Ethan, too. How did they know to go to the party in Venice?

Did Ethan and Ilsa have feelings for each other in prior movies? If so, I missed it. It was so out of left field in this movie that I immediately suspected she was going to die. (That and they gave the actress like 10 lines the entire movie.)

Blah. I just wish it had a tighter story and all the good action hadn't been spoiled in advance.
Thanks and gig'em
TCTTS
AG
Easily the funniest of the franchise - our packed audience was absolutely cracking up throughout - but it's hard to nail down exactly how I feel about this one overall. While it's obviously far and away better than the vast majority of blockbusters nowadays, and no doubt up there in the top 5% of all action movies in general (as expected), I was surprised at how clunky and expository it felt at times, while the quality definitely felt like a peg or two below Fallout and Rogue Nation as well, despite being from the same director.

I think a huge part of that was the bright, digital cinematography, which just had me scratching my head throughout, especially compared to Fallout, which looked so incredibly rich and stunning. I just don't understand how they went from that look to this look, abandoning film, utilizing some suspect CGI here and there, etc. My only guess is that because so much of the movie felt like an ode to the first Mission: Impossible - Kittridge back in the mix, the analogue vibe of the tech in trying to avoid The Entity, the third act train sequence, Max's daughter being the one to make a deal on the train this time, the chase on top of the train, etc - that maybe the cinematography was supposed to harken back to '90s action movies as well? Who knows...

Either way, we still had a hell of a time, Hayley Atwell was a revelation (to the point where I could legit see her taking the reigns if ever need be), and our theater broke out in applause at the end, which was encouraging for word-of-mouth.

As of now, I'd say my franchise rankings are…

1) Fallout
2) Rogue Nation
3) Mission: Impossible III
4) Dead Reckoning Part One
5) Ghost Protocol
6) Mission: Impossible
7) Mission: Impossible 2

That's such a misleading list, though, seeing as one through six are all wildly entertaining in their own right, and the quality margin between most of them is razor thin.
C@LAg
TCTTS said:

I think a huge part of that was the bright, digital cinematography, which just had me scratching my head throughout, especially compared to Fallout, which looked so incredibly rich and stunning. I just don't understand how they went from that look to this look, abandoning film, utilizing some suspect CGI here and there, etc.
or it is b/c of limitations incurred by peak covid period filming, to get it done,
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.