Northern Lights for Spring Break?

4,521 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Decay
dabo man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My 14 yo really wants to visit another country. I'd been planning a long summer vacation that included a visit to Niagara Falls where we were going to cross into Canada. Once I got looking at the cost of everything, I realized I wouldn't be able to fund it.

He recently asked me if we could go to Canada for Spring Break. Spring Break is the last week of March for us. I could drive to Winnipeg in 14 hours, but I suspect there wouldn't be much to do. My guess is that it would be in early spring melt; too cold to be pleasant but winter activities (i.e. outdoor ice skating/hockey/etc) closed for the season.

I got to thinking about driving as far north as possible, getting a motel for a few nights, and hoping to view the Northern Lights. My first thought was Thompson, Manitoba, a nickel mining town at 55 degrees N. Now I'm leaning towards Prince Albert National Park in Saskatchewan. It's only 54N, but I've been looking at climate norms at Environment Canada, and it's considerably more likely to have clear skies. It also looks like a much nicer setting than a mining town and with less light interference.

Have any of you done anything like this? Clearly the best chance of an aurora payoff would be to fly to Fairbanks (a whopping 65N) and head out to the country, but I can't afford the plane tickets. I also like the idea of all of the time spent in the car with my son. He'll have to put down his phone (and his switch) at some point!!
superunknown
AG
Aurora Borealis? At this time of year, at this time of day, in this part of the country, localized entirely within your kitchen?

May I see it?

(Your idea sounds awesome, I wish you the best.)
dabo man
AG
I found a site that does short-term aurora forecasting. Prince Albert (according to this site) had the lights last night. Going to keep looking each night.

https://aurorareach.com/places/ca/prince-albert
Anchorhold
This is relevant to my interests. Pleae keep us updated.
555-PINF
I thought this thread was going to be about something totally different.
Actual Talking Thermos
555-PINF said:

EliteZags
AG
superunknown said:

Aurora Borealis? At this time of year, at this time of day, in this part of the country, localized entirely within your kitchen?

May I see it?

Well, Seymour, you're an odd fellow. But I must say you steam a good ham.
dabo man
AG
I keep having the same thought, and it's my thread. Oh well...
G.I.Bro
Watch out for ****ing degens from upcountry
TV Casualty
AG
I'm going to Northern Finland in a couple of weeks and hope to see them as well.

$680 round trip cost for flights wasn't bad.
Grapes
I'm from Canada. I'd suggest flying to Yellowknife. Churchill, Manitoba will also get you into some polar bear action.
BenFiasco14
AG
Keep driving north until you hit Santa's workshop
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
dabo man
AG
Grapes (Don Cherry reference?!?)

If I had money for plane tickets, I'd have bought them. Not sure what I'm going to do, but it will be some version of driving north until I hit Santa's workshop (or the until road ends) and then finding a two star motel. Might be Manitoba. Might be Saskatchewan.
Not a Bot
AG
Would be a lot cheaper just to get a flight to Fairbanks, Alaska via Anchorage. A lot to do there as well. Can fly back with a stop in Vancouver just to say you were there.
StinkyPinky
AG
555-PINF said:

Right. I was going to also suggest Acapulco Gold until I read more.
Slim Isle
Aliens> Xi
TheHappyCouch-potato
ATF or GTFO!
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
I get to see the northern lights every night iykwim, and costs me nada
Anchorhold
dabo, did you have any luck?

dabo man
AG
I had no idea. And it was clear last night (cloudy tonight). This is going to piss me off all week.

Didn't make it to Canada for Spring Break. The Aurora is still on my bucket list.
combat wombat™
AG
It's on my bucket list, too.
harleyds2
AG
we went to finland in feb to see the lights. it was an amazing trip!!! highly recommended
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
The Northern Lights were visible from Texas Sunday night.

combat wombat™
TV Casualty
AG
harleyds2 said:

we went to finland in feb to see the lights. it was an amazing trip!!! highly recommended

I was in Finland in February as well. Took this picture with just my phone while ski touring.

Anchorhold
Start driving north OP

dabo man
AG
Quote:

Start driving north OP

But I have work scheduled for tonight at 10 PM.
@#$%&@#$%&!
Southlake
Cool.
dabo man
AG
Northern lights this weekend? Auroras could be visible as far south as Alabama.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/weather/2024/05/09/northern-lights-forecast-auroras-possible-this-weekend/73629276007/

Quote:

Federal forecasters from NOAA's Space Weather Prediction Center said that during previous solar activity of this magnitude, the "aurora has been seen as low as Alabama and northern California." Experts say the aurora might be visible Friday, Saturday or Sunday nights.

The spectacle would be courtesy of a series of coronal mass ejections (CMEs) from the sun, which are forecast to reach the Earth early this weekend and produce the geomagnetic storms that trigger auroras. A G4 (severe) geomagnetic storm watch is in effect for Saturday May 11, NOAA said.

Skies here in Mid-Missouri are going to be nice and clear.
aggie98infl
AG
From Myrtle Beach tonight.

AtticusMatlock
https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/news/g5-conditions-observed

G5 conditions (extreme) observed overnight. Potential for power outages, blackouts.

Some cool charts:
https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/
AtticusMatlock
I'm sure we'll all be fine.

Anchorhold
Nerds say it should continue tonight. I've seen some nice pictures from San Antonio, but forgot myself last night.
Moral High Horse
WTF. Is the world ending? Is this ***t normal? Climate change? We didn't listen!!!
dabo man
AG
I couldn't see anything last night from my vantage point in the south part of Columbia. Of course, downtown is about four miles north and provides a lot of light. I really should leave town tonight.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.