Women's Tennis 2023/2024

284,539 Views | 3573 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by bigfoot10s
Chapa96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ags takes the doubles. Win at #1 and #2. Both #2 and #3 went to tiebreakers.
Aggie Tennis
AG
Chapa96 said:

Happy with the win at doubs, but I really miss that feeling from two years ago when it felt like it was a guaranteed point.

They won't be able to hang with us in singles.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Aggie Tennis said:

Chapa96 said:

Happy with the win at doubs, but I really miss that feeling from two years ago when it felt like it was a guaranteed point.

Same. Very good team this year but currently not AS strong as the past two years from what I'm seeing. There's still time.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Up 3-0. Lucciana and Mia drop their first sets. Jeanette hangs on to win 7-6 after leading 5-3.
Quail
aggiedrjdub said:

Aggie Tennis said:

Chapa96 said:

Same. Very good team this year but currently not AS strong as the past two years from what I'm seeing. There's still time.
Right now, this is what I am seeing. Just seem to struggle at too many spots. Season is young so hope it works itself out but this is ugly win today!! But,a win is a win.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Very good recovery by Mia and Lucciana with both winning their second sets 6-1 and 6-0 after dropping their first sets 6-7.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Looks like Mia and Lucciana were in control of their matches after a tough start. Line 6? Would have been a toss up.

Aggies advance 4-0 (probably would have won 7-0 giving Jeannette the advantage since she won the first set and was 2-2 in the second).
aggiedrjdub
AG
Doubles is super concerning. Still cannot find a way to win line 3. Just a head scratcher.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Oklahoma State takes down ucla 4-3
B$Weigem
AG
We missed way too many easy volleys at the net. For some reason they try to slice all the volleys instead of placing and putting them away. It was really windy today Si hopefully that was the reason
aggiedrjdub
AG
B$Weigem said:

We missed way too many easy volleys at the net. For some reason they try to slice all the volleys instead of placing and putting them away. It was really windy today Si hopefully that was the reason

I saw some of that too. Honestly, much of it is singles players playing doubles. I watched line 2 and I cannot tell you how many balls are returned or rallied through the middle and Lucciana and Nicole just don't feel comfortable poaching and cutting them off. We aren't very active at the net and are relying more on our ground strokes.
aggiedrjdub
AG
BTHO tcu!
Chapa96
AG
Ags takes doubles. Wins at #1 and #3.
bigfoot10s
AG
Easy wins too!
aggiedrjdub
AG
Woohoo!
Chapa96
AG
Ags win 4-0
aggiedrjdub
AG
Aggies advance 4-0 over tcu.

Doubles put us up 1-0
Mary wins 6-0, 6-0 wow
Mia 6-3, 6-3
Lucciana 6-3, 6-4
Nicole was up 6-7, 6-1, 2-1 (seemed in control of that match)
Daria was down 6-7, 2-3
Jeannette was up 6-3, 4-4

Man - we've lost every singles tiebreak this weekend it seems. Anyway. Good win and happy to advance without dropping a point. Gig'em!
aggiedrjdub
AG
Curious to know if Gianna is injured or have we just gone with another look at line 3?
bigfoot10s
AG
Gianna isn't a great doubles player. There are better options
aggiedrjdub
AG
I'm not saying I disagree but she's been the mainstay at line 3 for the last 2 years. Guess he's finally moved on and willing to give others a chance. Line 3 looked great today.
bigfoot10s
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

I'm not saying I disagree but she's been the mainstay at line 3 for the last 2 years. Guess he's finally moved on and willing to give others a chance. Line 3 looked great today.

From all I've seen, she doesn't do the little things well that you must do to be good in doubles. Her returns weren't good last year. I think Renee made her look good freshman year.

Hopefully she's healthy if we need her, but I think Mark and Jordan will continue to look to find a solution for line 3, whether it's the current team or not.
Aggie Tennis
AG
I was at the match today and it was a lot of fun.

We need to appreciate Mary this year. I don't think we get her back next year. She was on a completely different level than anyone else - singles and doubles. Mia was also great today.

Daria played the best doubles match I've ever seen her play. Unfortunately, that didn't carry over to singles.

My overall thoughts haven't changed. Great 1-4 and desperately need Jeanette, who played better today, Daria, and doubles to step up to make a deep run.
B$Weigem
AG
I'm not certain Luciana is the right doubles player for line 2 doubles. She's a good singles player and perhaps she will improve.

I think as deep as we are, we shouldn't struggle so much at line 6 singles. Maybe Ellie Pittman will get a shot. She was a real competitor two years ago.
aggiedrjdub
AG
I've mentioned Ellie too. Interesting option. The thing with Lucciana is, she's won a lot of doubles matches at the junior level, but I think she's definitely more of a singles style doubles player. Fortunately, we got a great win a line 3 day. Finally. Good job girls!
Aggie Tennis
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

I've mentioned Ellie too. Interesting option. The thing with Lucciana is, she's won a lot of doubles matches at the junior level, but I think she's definitely more of a singles style doubles player. Fortunately, we got a great win a line 3 day. Finally. Good job girls!

Agree on lack of doubles prowess. Nicole and Lucciana essentially replaced Salma and Jayci from last year. Nicole and Lucciana are each a little better at singles which is amazing, but Salma and Jayci were much better doubles players.

If you think about it lines 2, 4, 5 and 6 are all not natural doubles players. They replace Tati, Carson, Jayci, and Salma who are all excellent doubles players. Easy to see why we took 3 steps back.

Players can quickly improve at doubles and you see it in the pros. Mia has improved tremendously playing with Mary for the last year.

I'm confident that Mark is focused on it.
Anchorhold
Congrats to Lester Cook '06 for getting the auburn women to Seattle.

Chapa96
AG
Anchorhold said:

Congrats to Lester Cook '06 for getting the auburn women to Seattle.

What happened to their coach?
aggiesherpa
AG
When was the Auburn coach fired??? Seems like a crazy story.
Chruchie
AG
this is just not close to true... Nichole made the final of a 25k in doubles in the fall which is like the only doubles she played in the fall. Lucianna has an incredible doubles history. she has good hands and can fire a shot when she thinks it's right. Right now that pair plays very simple doubles, which will change the more that play and know each other. Doubles is more about chemistry and gameplan than ability (although it's important). I know the season starts fast, but the further it goes on I believe the more you will see creativity and confidence in the line 2 doubles.

Daria and Sydney figured it out today and played excellent. Both have the hands, ground strokes and serve to win. I think with time together we will see better and more consistent results here too.
aggiedrjdub
AG
This is good stuff. Lucciana is a little power ranger.
Anchorhold
They announced it today without details. The former head coach and first assistant have been removed from the online roster. The remaining assistant was hired in December and Lester started coaching the men in the summer, both for their first collegiate coaching gigs.

https://auburntigers.com/news/2024/1/28/womens-tennis-auburn-announces-change-in-leadership-within-womens-tennis-program.aspx
Aggie Tennis
AG
Chruchie said:

this is just not close to true... Nichole made the final of a 25k in doubles in the fall which is like the only doubles she played in the fall. Lucianna has an incredible doubles history. she has good hands and can fire a shot when she thinks it's right. Right now that pair plays very simple doubles, which will change the more that play and know each other. Doubles is more about chemistry and gameplan than ability (although it's important). I know the season starts fast, but the further it goes on I believe the more you will see creativity and confidence in the line 2 doubles.

Daria and Sydney figured it out today and played excellent. Both have the hands, ground strokes and serve to win. I think with time together we will see better and more consistent results here too.

Definitely hope you are right! Not what we've seen to date, but I'd love them to turn out to be much better than Salma and Jayci who were solid at #1 for us.
Chruchie
AG
I can't guarantee any future, but that is how doubles works. Also, 2 all-american grad students vs. a sophomore transfer and a freshman, that is a pretty unfair comparison.
Aggie Tennis
AG
Chruchie said:

I can't guarantee any future, but that is how doubles works. Also, 2 all-american grad students vs. a sophomore transfer and a freshman, that is a pretty unfair comparison.

I'm not criticizing them as players.

They are super talented and I think they are BETTER singles players already.

However, Jayci was a two-time all American with Tati before teaming with Salma. Jayci and Salma beat UNC, with Crawley, after barely playing together at the indoors last year.

I just don't think it's even close and it's more than time playing together, but like I said, truly hope they gel and dominate.
Aggie Tennis
AG
Great week for Carson. Solid wins.

First Page Last Page
Page 7 of 103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.