****Track and Field 2023-2024****

72,262 Views | 498 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by taylorswift13_
oragator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
taylorswift13
AG
This was funny to see!
taylorswift13
AG
Abigail Martin of Jamaica wins the silver in the U20 Pan Am discus with a throw of 182'0 or 55.47! Close to her PR! Can't wait to have her on campus!
taylorswift13
AG
Sanu Jallow transfers to Arkansas
taylorswift13
AG
Now our 400 relay pool loses Tierra Robinson-Jones, Jania Martin, and Sanu Jallow… what went from a strength of ours quickly becomes a liability
triniaggie
AG
I ask sometime ago if she was in the transfer portal based on her social media and just knew she was transferring. Now is a good time for new coach to get some really good 800 and 1500 runners
triniaggie
AG
How could one school take all the top athletes in the transfer portal? It just amazes me how the inequity is so blatant
trackaggie76
AG
I think hogs have creative ways to get everybody on their team on close to a full scholarship!
cheese85
Do y'all have any athletes you think will have a breakout year in 2024?

Personally I'm excited to see Eric Hemphill III healthy. Seeing him in the 4x400 at the national meet got me excited to see what he can do in the open.

He's the first name that comes to mind but there are so many names that pop up as I think more. Sam Whitmarsh with a healthy season behind him will be a monster, DeMarco Escobar will be good, Auhmad got back to the track after a couple years of no running and he'll be a good one. Not to mention Ondrej in the 1500m coupled with Chandon and Cooper.

On the women's side, Jermaisha Arnold will have the 400m to herself after most of the big names in the NCAA turned pro. The Semira/Camryn duo will be fun to watch.
Basically the entire team with a year under their belts are going to be a force to be reckoned with!

Obviously I'm excited, but would love to hear y'all's thoughts as well
taylorswift13
AG
Agree with everything you said! A breakout star for me will be Bryce McCray, he improved throughout the year coming off an injury where he had no offseason training! I feel with an off season of training he will be good to go and get to a low 49! Him and James Smith will both score! We will need a 400 guy to breakout or a couple! Hopefully those freshman growing pains are gone! The 800 trio will be strong! Whitmarsh and Norris are healthy, and the Jamaican transfer will make for a scary trio. Connor Schulman can establish himself as the top hurdler! I feel like Ryan Martin is poised for a big year! I'm also excited to see the development of our multis! We should also score in high jump and hopefully pole vault can have someone break out!

Indoor related but I'm excited for a DMR! Whitmarsh can run indoors, Cawthra is improved, Casarez can go faster! And we can have a strong squad!

The women's side I think we see a lot of improvement from our sprinters! Not saying the scoring is wide wide open but a lot of top girls have moved on so there will be new names emerge throughout the country l. I hope our sprint relay of Killebrew, Dickson, Hackett, and maybe Campos or Burr or someone else can make it a top 3-5 relay! We're gonna need as many points in 100-200-400 and 4x100 that we can get! I hope Bailey Goggans can be healthy but that's a tough ask! I hope Abadie can improve like she did again! Our jav girls will score, Abigail Martin in the discus an he a threat if her PR improves a little! And I also expect Joniar Thomas to breakout and establish herself as one of the top multis and even improve and score in the open long jump! I'm sad we don't have any 400 hurdlers
taylorswift13
AG
Didn't even mention how scary a men's 4x100 can be with Issam Assinga, Ryan Martin, Devantae Mount, and Jordan Anthony while also having Chopane, Teer, Schulman, and a healthy Keanu Jones!
triniaggie
AG
I am also hoping that our Long and Triple Jumpers do well next year. Joniar Thomas, Jade Johnson and Ruth Agadama.

I think Rylee Lydon will do very well especially indoors. Her PBs indoors currently will put her at about 4000 points

Not sure if Lamara would stick around after graduation. I hope she does.

Looking forward to see who our new coach can bring on the women side in the 800m and 1500m
cheese85
The addition of Coach Ereng already excites me, but then add in what he can bring from a recruiting standpoint and you gotta think that we'll immediately be a podium threat again for the foreseeable future!
taylorswift13
AG
https://12thman.com/sports/mens-cross-country/roster

Cross country rosters are out and they were right about the cuts! Hopefully they're still adding some to the roster cause there are some big losses on the men's side! Never have I seen an Aggie cross country team this small! Some new additions on the girls side. Only 23 women and 16 men on the roster! Good news is Mary Grace Rodriguez is coming back, I was afraid she wouldn't! There are still a lot of question marks on the girls side and lots of shoes to fill losing Julia Abell, Grace Plain, Abbey Santoro, and Deirdre Nelson! Hopefully Goddard is healthy so her, Livingston, Rodriguez, Fontenot and Buckley can be the veterans of the group and should be a factor into the scoring! Shewaye Johnson should break in there as well and establish herself as one of our top runners!

But wow I didn't think Madison Brown would have any eligibility in cross country when she transferred but she's on the roster! She comes from D2 Dallas Baptist and will be our top girl potentially! She has PR's in xc of 16:47 in the 5k and 21:05 in the 6k! Which are huge times! Her track times are just as impressive with a 4:27 1500, 9:24 3000, and 16:19 5000! What a pickup!

On the men's side we lost a lot of depth due to cuts like Victor Zuniga and Teddy Radtke. And we lose Gavin Hoffpauir and Francesco Romano which are tough losses! But we return a strong strong trio of Casarez, Chhikara, and Chung! I hope Cawthra can take his xc game up like he has in track! Benn and Jayaraman the hometown boys should be improved as well! I'm not sure of the xc ability of Gajdos but I'm intrigued and we have a talented group of freshman led by Jack Johnston and Carter Gordy.

My way too early predictions for our top 7 are

Women's
Madison Brown
Maddie Livingston
Kennady Fontenot
Mary Grace Rodriguez
Shewaye Johnson
Katelyn Buckley
Gemma Goddard

Men's
Eric Casarez
Johnathan Chung
Chandon Chhikara
Joseph Benn
Cooper Cawthra
Siddharth Jayaraman
Ondrej Gajdos
Look Out Below
AG
I believe Radtke graduated/not a cut.
hurdlenut
Downsizing shows up on the current cross country rosters:
'23 rosters women 23…. Men 15
'22 rosters women 27… men 23
trackaggie76
AG
The cuts were brutal---was told, second hand, that some of the cuts happened as late as last month!
hurdlenut
I am a little surprised that nobody has mentioned the provisional suspension of sprinter Issam Asigna, (accused of ingesting steroids) of Suriname, who attended high school at Montverde Academy in Florida (coached there by former Aggie ace Gerald Phiri) and who set national high school records in the 100 (9.89) and 200 ,19.97 (both of which are pending and in doubt.)
I would assume that A&M has the authority to void his scholarship offer and because of his quick performances I would assume it was a FULL OFER. My question is, what happens to that offer?
shady
AG
I hope they wouldn't do that.

He was tested after virtually every record he set and none failed according to Asinga.

We need this guy on the team. We are NC contenders with him and no chance without.
jt2hunt
AG
hurdlenut said:

I am a little surprised that nobody has mentioned the provisional suspension of sprinter Issam Asigna, (accused of ingesting steroids) of Suriname, who attended high school at Montverde Academy in Florida (coached there by former Aggie ace Gerald Phiri) and who set national high school records in the 100 (9.89) and 200 ,19.97 (both of which are pending and in doubt.)
I would assume that A&M has the authority to void his scholarship offer and because of his quick performances I would assume it was a FULL OFER. My question is, what happens to that offer?

Rookie post???
YaBoyBP
Quote:

The lone current student-athlete and three-time NCAA Champion high jumper, Lamara Distin, dons the Jamaican flag at the championships. She is joined by recent Texas A&M graduate Charokee Young, who will also represent Jamaica while competing in the women's 400m and 4x400m relay.
From the A&M release on World Championships.

So do we think Lamara is staying?? Sure she could declare pro later if she wants, but glad there's still hope at least! haha
taylorswift13
AG
I'm thinking maybe she's on the roster till she graduates in December apparently! But there is a chance she comes back to compete!!
triniaggie
AG
Is James Smith using his eligibility and transferring? The post says unwanted champ and is heart broken

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CwGi8WsM52z/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA
taylorswift13
AG
Oh no! Please be about a girl!
YaBoyBP
Dang…
taylorswift13
AG
GCU??? WOW there goes a huge piece to our team! Gonna need Bryce McCray to step up and I believe she will!
triniaggie
AG
I am just wondering if it is a policy this year with the track team that once you graduate that's it and these athletes are not being considered for their final year eligibility. It is strange that everyone that graduated this year with an extra year eligibility has transferred.
hurdlenut
I'm pretty sure hurdler Connor Schulman graduated and still has a year left to run…sure hope he is given the option to return. Will be interesting too see who returns
shady
AG
With Asinga not running in the WC and school already started does anyone know if he is on campus?

jt2hunt
AG
Isn't he in his senior year of high school?
shady
AG
jt2hunt said:

Isn't he in his senior year of high school?

He was a SR in HS this past season. Should be on campus now if he's going to college vs turning pro.
YaBoyBP
Just checked, he's not in the school directory. Could always join in the spring, I suppose.
triniaggie
AG
Asinga is listed as a freshman in Business Administration

https://directory.tamu.edu/people/5befb9a3824857e9a08478a047ab637f/?branch=people&cn=Asinga
shady
AG
Thanks!
cheese85
A few friends have seen him around campus!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.