Aggie Volleyball - The Morrison Edition

147,244 Views | 1277 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Anchorhold
DripAG08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wasn't eve close to a touch
Ag4eva95
Killing ourselves with errors. The girls seem tense. If they can settle down, they will be competitive.
DripAG08
AG
Looks like a Jimbo coached team right now
Ag4eva95
Looks like we lack leadership. There isn't anyone that steps up and leads.
Gap
AG
Houston takes set 2 by 25-14.
Ag4eva95
Meuth and Ledinecky have both let tips drop in front of them. We're killing ourselves with effort. We look so lost defensively
flintdragon
AG
get your serve in....
Gap
AG
Aggies alive. We win set 3 by 25-21.
Gap
AG
Meuth has come alive but we need some others to get it rolling too.

Houston leads 15-11.
Gap
AG
Service errors are absolutely killing us. 11 for us. 3 for Houston.
Ag4eva95
Our off blocker defense has also been embarrassing.
Gap
AG
Houston wins set 4 by 25-18.

Next match for us is Liberty on Friday with a Noon start time.
Ag4eva95
Positives for the match:

- thought underwood earned the jersey tonight. While I wouldn't say it was flawless, she's the better libero.

Ledinecky is in a slump. Need her to find her confident hot hand. Defense needs to improve quickly. Ital has been alright, but she costs us a lot of points. She should just focus on blocking and understanding that role. If you watch her hands and eyes, you can tell she doesn't see the plays quick enough. Our blocks had so many gaps, but we can't play backrow defense down the line to help out the block. Our setters are probably the weakest spot defensively. I do appreciate how much they try to run the middles. Perkins looks a little gun shy right now, but we have two of the better middles in this league. Looking forward to Liberty and getting back on track!
B$Weigem
AG
They need to spend time learning how to serve
Swollen Thumb
AG
Yep. No excuses to miss 12 serves with only 3 aces. Momentum killers. Ladies looked like they really lacked focus tonight. They might be one of those teams that play better on the road.
Wicked Good Ag
That was our worst effort of the season. Thoughts

1. We are frontrunners. Other than the fifth set against Wright State we have shown no ability to comeback and fight during a set. We get tentative and make mistake after mistake. Not as much the case while we are leading and tend to play looser and better overall. We have to show fight when down. It seems that every time we get down we cant comeback and sustain. We got down in the fourth set against TCU i think and made a comeback to get back in the set and promptly gave it all back and it was over. We play scared when down 9-10 points and dont swing away and tip. That wont work against top 15-25 teams or better

2. Hogan had a horrid passing match. Someone said earlier that Underwood earned it but I didnt see wnaything Underwood did to earn it more so that Hogan might have lost it. She and Muoneke passed terribly for the match, and when Underwood became the libero we had to put in the person that probably was the worst passer tonight for the second worst passer so it wasnt much better. You should not have your libero be the target in serve recive and that was evident from the beginning of the match then when she was taken out that went a Muoneke and it started all over again. Scouting report was dead on balls accurate. That said both of them are better than they were tonight and hopefully will bounce back because both of the girls need to be on the court in some capacity. I was a bit surprised in the fourth set with Hogan not having played that we didnt have her serve for Cos. I dont think it really would have mattered in the grand scheme of things but to leave a middle in when you have a DS that can play/serve for her down quite a few points would have been a time to sub her in. Cos served for an error giving them match point.

3. Our block wasnt ready for the accurate passing and tempo of attack and thus the block that has been so good this season wasnt effective at all. Front row block didnt close and the back row wasnt in position to defend with the gaps that were created.

4. As others have said serving was bad too may errors. Passing was worse IMO because it sets up our offense and the setters were running around trying to get a decent set out of a poor pass and when we had actually had a freeball we could not terminate at a level you should.either because we made a wrong choice or our hitters were worried about

5. Our block coverage was terrible We looked as if we were watching our hitters take swings thinking no way they get blocked and we did a lot. Houston had twice as many blocks and some could have been picked up if we had been paying attention and in the right spots to cover our hitters. I think that comes down to us for most of the season having our pins be terminal (meaning ending the play) Mainly that is a kill but lately it has been kills and errors combined...we tend to end a lot of plays from our pins but the last two matches the ending of plays hasnt always been for points (erros have been way up in the two losses)

6. I usually point out positives in a match to go with the negatives but i didnt see any tonight that are things we can build on. If you look at the stats in set 3 vs the other sets you will see a huge difference in play but when it is only one set of four the last two matches it is got to change

Regroup and come to battle Liberty on Friday at noon. Chance to see how Liberty is against Houston tomorrow at 5 at Reed but the things Libery might be able to do shouldnt be the focus. The focus needs to be controlling what happens on our side of the net.
Ag4eva95
With Underwood, she atleast covered and got some digs. Was only aced once. I think you're spot on in saying Hogan lost it. The part that doesn't quite process with me is Morrison gave Hogan a lot of praise in the off season/preseason, but she has so far underwhelmed. Especially for a 5th year senior. You can see the athleticism, but there is a big gap between our liberos and what Houston had tonight. Houston can out ball control most teams they will play.
Gap
AG
I saw them prepping in the parking lot. A big pile of new red shirts with each pledge grabbing one. Body paint. For some reason I kind of enjoy this.

BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Logan Lednecky looks depressed-few smiles, several missed kills! Has her role been reduced?

Can we sub for Meuth on serves? is not good serving as opposeto her great kills.
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
Ag4eva95
She technically was playing 6 rotations last year on a badly coached team. She took way too many swings and it led to injury. But she didn't look excited out there, something did seem off
Wicked Good Ag
Ag4eva95 said:

She technically was playing 6 rotations last year on a badly coached team. She took way too many swings and it led to injury. But she didn't look excited out there, something did seem off
She is very hard on helself on the court she shows those emotions on her face. She had the most errors on the team and in a match for her this season hitting negative. Shehas had error filled games but usually hit enough kills to overcome...tonight not so much.

Right now she has a heavy arm and hits cross all the time. She is very effective when on because whe can hit all sorts of level of angles with that hard cross shot. She needs to develop and push deep down the line and line attack but when on she is one of the top RS's in the country. She just has to be on and sometimes set location helps and seeing the block.

I just think that our worst first contact match we have had is a direct correlation to having 90% of our hitting errors coming from the pins ...set location wasnt ideal based upon the pass and we pressed way to hard last night and didnt play loose like we do when we are ahead and it showed in all facets of the match to a VERY GOOD TEAM
flintdragon
AG
What I saw was UH passing very well giving the setter all 3 options which led to easy middle kills or sets to the pins where our middle and sometimes even both blockers were late.

Exact opposite for us, bad serve receive and passing you can easily guess where the out of system set is going.

You saw this problem in our earlier games as well but I didn't think it would make this big of a difference playing the last two much tougher competition but it did.
Ag4eva95
With Ledinecky though, she's looked a little uncomfortable all year. I know she's coming off an injury. The last two matches she just hasn't been seeing the court. Looks like she's swinging blindly because she can't read the block. While UH has good offensive pins, they aren't known for their blocking. Logan hit straight into their block, her numbers could have been much worse last night. Also the same thing with TCU. No way Parra should have been stuffing her.

I look forward to when the light switch turns on for Ledinecky.
Wicked Good Ag
Ag4eva95 said:

With Ledinecky though, she's looked a little uncomfortable all year. I know she's coming off an injury. The last two matches she just hasn't been seeing the court. Looks like she's swinging blindly because she can't read the block. While UH has good offensive pins, they aren't known for their blocking. Logan hit straight into their block, her numbers could have been much worse last night. Also the same thing with TCU. No way Parra should have been stuffing her.

I look forward to when the light switch turns on for Ledinecky.
I didnt see her uncomfortable in the wins and when she plays well I see it when she struggles bushe is just the type of player who is hard on herself and most people arent hard on themselves when things are going well. We have won all the games up until the last two and neither team we played is a slouch that we lost against
Wicked Good Ag
If we lose a set to Liberty I will be disappointed
flintdragon
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

If we lose a set to Liberty I will be disappointed
So far so good. 1-0 Ags
Ag4eva95
I will give the girls credit. They dominate the teams they should. Liberty beat a ranked Hawaii team, so they have some potential
flintdragon
AG
Ags win in 3 as they should vs Liberty. Don't think I noticed anything out of the ordinary. Hitting efficiency high. 11 blocks. Good amount of playing time for Molly and Brooke. Was hoping to see Lexi more.

Same issues: 11 service errors, passes were ok but not outstanding which led to so-so sets.

Is it just me or is Lednicky not hitting down the line as much this year?
Ag4eva95
That's what I was alluding to after the houston match. She isn't as confident in her shot selection. She's still getting her kills, but have some concerns once conference rolls around.

Meuth is actually struggling. Ledinecky, she's just a beast and will get her kills(hoping to see more confidence). Meuth has had a rough 4 matches. Lots of errors, lots of missed serves. We need her if we are going to make noise in the SEC. She was hitting negative most of todays match before the last 15 or so points
B$Weigem
AG
There is no excuse for the service errors, especially when you consider that most of our players aren't hitting hard serves.
Wicked Good Ag
We have finished non conference and enter conference play on Wednesday at home against Mississippi State.

We finsihed a very respectible 8-2, While our schedule I feel was more of a RPI thing playing top teams from various smaller conferences none of the opponents were slouches with many of them having some upsets in their own right.

We looked to me the worst against Houston, a very good team who dismantled us at the serve receive game and was able to run a smooth and very effective offense based upon their transition game.

Looking at the numbers we are hitting a very respectible .280 in the season and lead the SEC in opponent hitting percentage at .137. While we have not played top level teams like Kentucky and Florida do annually we have done great at the front line of defense with Cos and any of our RS blocks looking great at times.

Most people have said our service game isnt great and while i agree we have made about 3 service errors per set while not being the most agreesive team. We are only being aced less then 1.5 per set but i dont think that tells the best story because we have been scrambling a lot after first contact. When we can be in system we can look very good offensively but it is honestly hit or miss. We have more aces then our opponents but i wouldnt say we are winning the serve pass game for the season.

The passing game is completely separate from the defensive game and I think we do a good job when the block is ready defensively. But when a team stays in system like Houston did because of their ability to hit well in system we looked below average

Going forward I hope we can get more swings out of the middle to open up even more our pin hitters who are hitting quite well overall with some individual sub par performances in specific sets/matches but very solid overall. We dont rely on two players this year which will pay makor dividends down the road

Looking at confernece play I think we are in the second group or tier of the SEC. Kentucky who doesnt have a solid record but has played an incredible schedule and Florida are the two at the top with Florida looking the best overall

Us LSU Tennessee Arkansas and Auburn all being right behind those two. Arkansas would be at the top of Tier 2 IMO and could be the third team in Tier 1 honestly.

Common Opponents

Four SEC teams have played common opponents to TAMU

LSU got swept by Northern Iowa and we swept them
Tennessee beat Loyola Chicago 3-1 and we came back to win in the fifth set 3-2
Georgia lost to TCU 0-3 and we did as well but 1-3
Kentucky defeated Houston 3-1 and as stated we lost 1-3 at home

The SEC season starts at 7:00 Wednesday at Reed. Cmon on out and support

mpl35
AG
I'm optimistic for this year and excited about the new coach from what I've seen. I've watched a ton of VB this year already and I am sure many of you do as well. We follow TAMU, WSU, and CSU. Loved the WSU beating tu in Austin!

Today I've seen some of Stanford v Louisville and now onto UF v Wiscy.

My summary of what I've seen is that TAMU can but shouldn't lose to teams outside the top 50 with what we have on the roster barring a meltdown. That's what I saw against TCU. We seem to be a legit ~25 team to me.

I know we don't have a Kendal Kipp or Logan Eggleston but what we have is tall and athletic players that swing hard. We just need to grind and clean up the areas Wicked has mentioned.

I'm drinking the Koolaide!
Ag4eva95
Not Aggie related, but looks like Alexis Stuckey, UF starting all American setter, is out for the foreseeable future. Looks like she potentially tore something in her knee playing against #1 Wisconsin today. Huge loss for the gators
mpl35
AG
Ag4eva95 said:

Not Aggie related, but looks like Alexis Stuckey, UF starting all American setter, is out for the foreseeable future. Looks like she potentially tore something in her knee playing against #1 Wisconsin today. Huge loss for the gators
yeah that looked bad. I'm sure they will need the MRI but that's big. They are still up 2-1 for now
Ag4eva95
UF looked really good too. They would have beat #1 Wisconsin 3-0 with her. The backup is very capable, but not for a top 3 team

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.