Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Splain to me Espresso Machines

1,663 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by ValleyRatAg
Mark Fairchild
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I REALLY like espresso. Would love to have a machine, but not a $6,000 machine. Going to Amazon just confuses me, as they have machines from as low as $19 to the several thousands. Marsha would certainly kill me if I showed up with any thousand plus dollar machine. Lots of 4 1/2 start machines for ~$200. Too many in the ~$200 - $400 range to know which is best. F & S knows stuff, whadya y'all use?
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Bruce Almighty
AG
I have an Nespresso and love it, but if you're wanted something more authentic, this machine was listed on serious eats as the best budget machine and it's less than 100 dollars.

https://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-Espresso-Cappuccino-Stainless-EC260BK/dp/B08C96BG9H?tag=seriouseats-onsite-prod-20&ascsubtag=5185482%7Cn79ff57519933479389ed32549fb1789a18%7CB08C96BG9H&th=1

Here's the link to the seriouseats article.

https://www.seriouseats.com/best-espresso-machines-5185482
FitzChivalry
AG
Have had this one for 6 years and love it. Easy to use and maintain. Solid grinder comes with it which can help justify the price.

https://www.breville.com/us/en/products/espresso/bes870.html
bmc13
AG
James Hoffmann has a series of videos on this

FancyKetchup14
AG
Gaggia Classic pro is legit. Happy owner of one for many years.

I'll add this though, doesn't matter if you have a $100 machine or a $6000 machine, you need a quality grinder to go along with it.
Mathguy64
AG
Gaggia Classic and a Rocky Grinder. Had them for years and never regretted the cost.
Sazerac
AG
Super happy with my Phillips 4300 Latte Go system after 1.5 years.

I'm mostly espresso or coffee, wife does lattes. I'll do latte or cappuccino every once in awhile. Super easy to clean.
HouseDivided06
AG
We bought a DeLonghi Dinamica on Black Friday 2 years ago. I had been looking at a Breville for $600 or so, but the Dinamica was on sale for $700 from $1,000 and is a super automatic. While I enjoy the idea of pulling my own shots and tinkering, I knew my wife wouldn't use one like that. Would do it all over again. Put the beans in, make sure the tank is full, and hit go. Espresso, lungo, iced coffee, regular coffee all super easy. One downside is the milk frother isn't the traditional kind, so it doesn't make the best micro foam which means latte art is basically impossible. But I don't care enough about that. Super easy to use and clean. One of the better kitchen purchases I have ever made.

https://a.co/d/aHhNHlr
Matsui
AG
In the market as well thanks for this thread
Mark Fairchild
AG
Thanks to all for the valuable info, got lots to think about, but the road is much more straight now!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Matsui
AG
What are some quality grinder options?
FancyKetchup14
AG
There are a few options but the main thing you want to make sure you look for is that you buy a conical burr grinder. You wouldn't want to use the $25 Krupps grinder you find in the coffee aisle at HEB. While that's fine for elevating a drip machine, it won't grind the coffee fine enough for an espresso extraction.

If you buy the Breville Barista that someone mentioned on this thread, it comes with a built-in grinder. I've never personally used it but I've heard good things. I paired a Breville Smart Grinder Pro with my Gaggia and I really liked the results I got. Sometimes you can get them on sale.

Another grinder I can personally recommend is the Baratza Encore or, if you can find one second-hand, the Baratza Sette 270. The only downside to the Encore is that it doesn't have a portafilter holder. Meaning, the grinds fall into a little can, and you have to pour the grinds into your portafilter basket.

If you got cash to burn and want to be big pimping, get the La Marzocco Lux D. Which is just an insanely beautiful machine.

A few other unsolicited tips...

• Considering we are talking about grinders I feel like this should go unsaid, but anyway...always buy whole beans, don't buy pre-ground stuff
  • Buy a tamp. The tamps that come with grinders are plastic and dog sh*t. You can get one on amazon for cheap.
  • De-scale your machine once a quarter (unless you're running purified RO water or whatever). It's easy, you can buy descaling material online and find YouTube videos. The better the machine the longer it'll last, but you also have to take care of it.
  • YMMV, but I always prefer to dose my coffee. Meaning, that if I want a double shot I put 19 grams into the grinder because I know I get 19 grams out. Don't just dump your bag of beans into the grinder and expect to get consistent doses, unless you have a really serious grinder.
  • Each bag of coffee will perform differently in the grind and extraction. Some beans grind easier than others (light vs dark). You'll sometimes hear about people "dialing in" a shot, and that's where they're pulling a couple of single shots at different grind settings to get the right balance and measuring contact time, extraction time, etc. You can nerd out as little or as much as you want.
  • Espresso roasts tend to fall on the darker side of things, but don't shy away from a roaster who does a lighter roast on their espressos. I think you can get a ton more flavor the less you roast.
  • Check roast dates on bags. Typically, an espresso roast needs about 10-14 days from roast date to settle in. So if you go to a roastery or a store and buy a bag of espresso roast and it has a roast date from 3-5 days ago, let it sit for a little while.
Matsui
AG
Great info thank you
RustyBV
AG
Philips 3200 with latte go has been a great purchase for us, very easy to use and is a super automatic so only need to press 2 buttons and you're done.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Automatic-Espresso-Machine-LatteGo/dp/B07VFY4MXM?th=1
NE PA Ag
If you decide you are in the market for a bit higher end fully automatic (built in grinder and water reservoir) and decide on a few models you like, consider shopping suppliers for used/refurbished machines.

I did this a while back and got a 3 year old Saeco machine for half the price of the newest model. We had to have a fairly minor repair done on it one time, but other than that it's still going strong 12 years later with minimal maintenance.
Koko Chingo
AG
I have a super automatic - Gaggia Cadorna Prestige. I have had it for 3+ years. I am extremely happy with it.

Check out Whole Latte Love, they have great descriptions and support for all of their products. They also have an outstanding YouTube page.

Many of the products have multiple videos. One may be a review, another a first time setup & use guide, and then maybe a video comparison and contrasting machines with similar features and pricing.

https://www.wholelattelove.com/

https://youtube.com/@wholelattelovepage

Sazerac
AG
What beans are yall using?

I tried some higher end and then basically the entire LaVazza line for super automatics. Recently stuck on Lavazza Crema E Aroma as the best.
Koko Chingo
AG
For big brands I get Lavazza Super Crema from Amazon. The page says they usually sell like 50k - 60k packages a month. So they aren't sitting around. I worry about the less popular beans at HEB because I don't know how long it has been since they have been roasted.

I'm in BCS, locally I like the coffee from What's the Buzz and often get the Guatemala Antigua.there are many others I like, it just seems like that one makes it back to the house more often.

If you are at an HEB that stocks, What's the Buzz coffee beans; here is a tip. Their expiration date is 1 year from the date the beans were actually roasted.

In their own store, the 'roasted on' date is printed on the bag. They used to do it this way in HEB stores but I am told HEB said they have to put an expiration date instead.
FancyKetchup14
AG
As long as the beans are sealed in their one-way valve bags, they're generally fine for 6 months post-roast date. Once opened I try to go through them within ~15 days.

In Houston, my absolute favorite is BlendIn. They're a bit more expensive, but they get some pretty incredible stuff and know what they're doing. Tenfold is also really good and so is Luce. Summer Moon is great, too.
Mathguy64
AG
I originally used Lavazza Super Crema. Now I use Maromas Orphea.
jwoodmd
FitzChivalry said:

Have had this one for 6 years and love it. Easy to use and maintain. Solid grinder comes with it which can help justify the price.

https://www.breville.com/us/en/products/espresso/bes870.html
This one! We have one, daughter has one - everyone loves it.
ValleyRatAg
AG
We have the Philips 4300 and use Lavazza Espresso Barista Gran Crema beans. We've been happy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.