Business & Investing
Sponsored by

how much hard metals do you guys have?

1,804 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by Hoyt Ag
Logos Stick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
what percentage of your portfolio.

I might have 1%.

I'm thinking about making that much larger. The interest on the US debt is about to dwarf entitlements. That's never been the case. I'm an older person and am truly starting to worry. First time I've been concerned.

Please help me. Thanks!
NoahAg
Only gun metals!
Aggiemike96
AG
Deleted.
YouBet
AG
Guess I'm way less than 1% and not even sure ours counts. It would require melting down a lot of stuff.
Sims
AG
0.000%, for what it's worth.
JSKolache
AG
The time to buy metals was one year ago, or better yet 5 years ago. Buy low, sell high still applies.
topher06
I don't know. I used to have some but I kept them in the same bag as my guns which got lost on that fateful fishing trip.
LMCane
Logos Stick said:

what percentage of your portfolio.

I might have 1%.

I'm thinking about making that much larger. The interest on the US debt is about to dwarf entitlements. That's never been the case. I'm an older person and am truly starting to worry. First time I've been concerned.

Please help me. Thanks!
I concur brother Logos

I see a huge amount of inflation and pain and the devaluation of the dollar is inevitable

I was thinking hard about driving downtown to the US Mint Shop on 9th street and picking up some physical. but I just can't square holding coins in a vault versus in my Fidelity brokerage at this point in time.

I now have more than 4% in commodities and Bitcoin (of a million dollar portfolio)
pfo
AG
Gold miners, bitcoin and oil and gas producing minerals make up a large portion of my portfolio. The dollar is doomed. Not only is the gov refusing to cut spending, but they aren't even talking about reducing spending.

Some in gov are actually trying to destroy America and the dollar, while others in gov are way too stupid to realize that's exactly what they are doing. But either way, it's going to continue. Gold has been money for 5,000 years, that's a track record no fiat currency will ever match.
Joseph in Cypress
AG
Serious questions here and no judgement, I'm trying to learn something here… I'm guessing you are doing this as a hedge against dollar falling apart correct? If so why not get and etf instead? Is it to hedge against collapse of society and have a form of tender?
Joseph George '92
Dave Robicheaux
AG
pfo said:

Gold miners, bitcoin and oil and gas producing minerals make up a large portion of my portfolio. The dollar is doomed. Not only is the gov refusing to cut spending, but they aren't even talking about reducing spending.

Some in gov are actually trying to destroy America and the dollar, while others in gov are way too stupid to realize that's exactly what they are doing. But either way, it's going to continue. Gold has been money for 5,000 years, that's a track record no fiat currency will ever match.

Gold with be useless as a bartering item when it comes to Armageddon. Bullets, medicine, seeds, gas, oil, all things that will be more useful.
Joseph in Cypress
AG
I have always thought the same.
Joseph George '92
EliteZags
AG
I have a Creed - Human Clay vinyl that my wife's boyfriend keeps on my shelf
Heineken-Ashi
Dave Robicheaux said:

pfo said:

Gold with be useless as a bartering item when it comes to Armageddon. Bullets, medicine, seeds, gas, oil, all things that will be more useful.

Please explain a previous major world conflict where gold was useless.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
I bleed maroon
AG
Heineken-Ashi said:

Dave Robicheaux said:

pfo said:

Please explain a previous major world conflict where gold was useless. both sides had nukes.

FIFY. If Armageddon occurs, this is probably all moot.

I think we all agree there is a lot of precedent for precious metals holding their value better than alternatives during rough times, but the idea that it will protect you if society completely breaks down is probably not worth worrying about, much less investing on that thesis.

But hey, if any true believers want to persist, why continue to think of the price of gold in terms of dollars? Wouldn't cans of spam per ounce of gold be a better medium of exchange?
Outdoorag011
An ETF doesn't give you what precious metals are all about: real tangible wealth.
jagvocate
AG
~20% of net worth … and climbing

Heineken-Ashi
I bleed maroon said:

Heineken-Ashi said:

Dave Robicheaux said:

pfo said:

Please explain a previous major world conflict where gold was useless. both sides had nukes.

I think we all agree there is a lot of precedent for precious metals holding their value better than alternatives during rough times, but the idea that it will protect you if society completely breaks down is probably not worth worrying about, much less investing on that thesis.

But hey, if any true believers want to persist, why continue to think of the price of gold in terms of dollars? Wouldn't cans of spam per ounce of gold be a better medium of exchange?

People buying metals for a society breakdown event are few and small between. People converting fiat money to the longest running historical store of wealth is what's happening. Not to necessarily use it as money, but to convert it back should they need to upon future economic stability being restored.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
I bleed maroon
AG
Heineken-Ashi said:

I bleed maroon said:

Heineken-Ashi said:

Dave Robicheaux said:

pfo said:

People buying metals for a society breakdown event are few and small between. People converting fiat money to the longest running historical store of wealth is what's happening. Not to necessarily use it as money, but to convert it back should they need to upon future economic stability being restored.
Nice pivot.

As I already said, almost all agree on my 2nd point. Care to comment on items 1 (nuke war makes gold moot) and 3 (if dollars are doomed, why do we set the price of gold with them)?
ac04
he commented on them in the first sentence. doomsday is not why the vast majority of people are buying.
I bleed maroon
AG
ac04 said:

he commented on them in the first sentence. doomsday is not why the vast majority of people are buying.
Fair enough! A world war sounds pretty doomsday to me, but what do I know? Maybe I was just being a bit argumentative - my apologies.
highpriorityag
5%
Hoyt Ag
AG
This has always been my thought. I have a lot of firearms and a ton of ammo and even more reloading supplies. I tend to buy it up when I see estate sales or on the cheap on FB. People don't know what it is worth so I swoop it up. Powder and components will be worth a lot if we collapse.

As far as PMs, I maybe have $25k on hand.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.