Dumb Youth baseball question.

919 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Kansas Kid
Yesterday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When do pitchers stop batting? Got an 8 year old with a good arm and loves to bat. Obviously we have no idea if he'll be good much less great at either down the road but he asked me tonight if he could still bat if he pitches. And I don't know the answer past 9&10u.
Jeff99
In my son's experience, we never ran across players being labeled "PO" (Pitcher Only) until high school ball. You would see a few players before that time period on club teams who made it clear they only wanted to pitch, but that's very rare. Team rosters are rarely big enough before that age to allow that degree of specialization.
mosdefn14
AG
Even in high school (what I remember, 2005ish) if the pitcher could hit but a left fielder couldn't, that's who got DHd for.
The Porkchop Express
In a lot of instances, a quality pitcher is also a top-shelf hitter just because of the athleticsm factor. If he can do both, he's playing somewhere in every game.

When i was a sportswriter in the 90s I went to a tournament when Josh Beckett was a senior at Spring. In the first game he pitched a 17-strikeout no-hitter. In the second game he hit 2 solo home runs, and threw a guy out at home from the track on an attempted sac fly.

If your kid likes them both, lean into it.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Yesterday
AG
We're just starting to get serious about baseball. I used to have to drag him out to throw the ball with me but about 6 months ago something clicked and he's asking to pitch to me every day...to the point I have to tell him no so he doesn't hurt his arm. We've been doing lessons for about 3 months now but he's still playing coach pitch. So no real game action.

As we were watching the game tonight he asked why the pitchers weren't batting. After explaining to him how the DH works he asked if he could still bat in the future. I've watched some 9&10u games so I knew he could in that age group but I didn't know how serious some select ball teams take DH'ing and pitching.

Thanks for explaining y'all's experiences.
docb
AG
Personally I don't think you have to worry about anything like that for quite some time
Kansas Kid
mosdefn14 said:

Even in high school (what I remember, 2005ish) if the pitcher could hit but a left fielder couldn't, that's who got DHd for.

As a HS ump, I can tell you that I have only seen one player that was a pitcher only this year and they had him play JV ball as an outfielder to see if he could become a better batter. Most of those athletic enough to be a good pitcher are also good batters at that level.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.