Metroplex
Sponsored by

N Texas, Lewisville area ground geology Question? Any A&M Geologists out there?

580 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by Ag CPA
OKC~Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So, I have an old home in N Texas in Lewisville/HV area by the lake less than 200 yards away from the house

There is a big oak tree close to the house and on the base of the tree, there seems to be some gap between the tree roots in the grounds. A few years ago during the summer, as I was watering the tree in drought condition, water just melted away ground soil and disappeared underground near the root.

I be came concerned there was a significant ground void under the oak tree. So, I poured some play sand to the base of oak tree and water, The void sucked in sand and water quickly and I ran out of play sand. I used up 8 bags of 40 lbs play sand. Since then, I have added a few more over the years. 4 more bags.

This winter, some critter dug beneath the patio and decorative ground cover sank in, Once I removed the ground cover, discovered another huge void under the concrete patio. The usual dirt at the level is reddish clay dirt which supports the house foundation. But I don't see any evacuated red clay sand for which whatever critter created the hole.

Once again,I filled the hole with dirt and play sand. Once again, sand and dirt disappeared underground with like there is no end to fill that void. I used up 6 bags of 40 lbs play sand and water. It could probably take more.

So what is going on? red clay sand beneath the lake has pockets of holes? if the critter created an additional void, where is that dirt the critter removed? Is this what is causing the foundation to sink in this area? Why is sand so expensive now compared to a few years ago? may need more like 20 bags more...Adding sand is a good idea?

Any brilliant ideas or suggestions or insight?
fightinags2013
AG
No insight for you, but following.
gabehcoud
mosdefn14
AG
No help with the geology question. Head to f16 for an answer on the inflation question.

Rather than bags of play sand, go buy a yard of sandy loam for $40-$50 depending on where you go...fill the hole then spread the rest out in holes/uneven spots in the yard.
AW 1880
AG
It's not geology, but you can take a look at map soils using the following NRCS web map:

https://websoilsurvey.nrcs.usda.gov/app/WebSoilSurvey.aspx
Ag CPA
AG
Sounds like you need someone with more of a civil engineering background, there are plenty of Ags in DFW that do consulting work on this kind of thing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.