Chevy ditching the Malibu

5,538 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 22 days ago by Buck Turgidson
TheCurl84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just heard this news. The interesting part is that the Corvette will be the only remaining Chevy car that is ICE. I'm not sure if, by "cars", they are including small SUVs and "crossovers". But this news seems to run contrary to the other news about the decline in production of EVs. Not sure what to make of it.
sts7049
AG
who cares, the malibu is a piece of ****
Kraft Punk
TheCurl84 said:

Not sure what to make of it.

I can help here

Chevy is dog****
BMX Bandit

They are converting the plant with a Malibu is made to a plant to make the bolt EV.

So it looks like any decline they had in production of EV will ramp back up

EVs are going to be forced on us. Probably probably won't be able to buy a non-EV in 20 years and will be banned from roads in 40.
BMX Bandit
sts7049 said:

Wake up.

Your profile says "oil and gas" and yet you say "who cares"?
sts7049
AG
BMX Bandit said:

sts7049 said:

Wake up.

nobody cares about a low selling POS rental fleet vehicle as a means for "saving ICE"
TheCurl84
AG
sts7049 said:

BMX Bandit said:

sts7049 said:

Wake up.

nobody cares about a low selling POS rental fleet vehicle as a means for "saving ICE"

Pretty much missing the point.
nortex97
AG
I don't know anyone who has ever even considered shopping for a new Malibu. Fleet car, through and through. It's a shame, because before it became Obamamotors the Malibu and Impala were still relatively famous nameplates, even though they really couldn't compete with the Accord/Camry etc.

Ford doesn't have any new cars for sale either (unless you count the mustang or Obamastang), so the only nominally "American" ICE sedans for sale from the once-big 3 would be the ancient Daimler-chassis Dodge Charger I guess? I think they are planning to kill that off finally too.
TTUArmy
Get your SRT Hellcat Redeye Widebody soon?
TTUArmy
CHARGER SRT HELLCAT REDEYE WIDEBODY

MSRP* starting at $93,370

Teslag
AG
I think it's just the demise of the sedan in general. Of the top 25 best selling vehicles, only 4 are ice sedans. The mid-size and small crossover SUV's killed the market. For about the same price you got more room, more cargo space, and similar performance and mpg.
TheCurl84
AG
nortex97 said:

I don't know anyone who has ever even considered shopping for a new Malibu. Fleet car, through and through. It's a shame, because before it became Obamamotors the Malibu and Impala were still relatively famous nameplates, even though they really couldn't compete with the Accord/Camry etc.

Ford doesn't have any new cars for sale either (unless you count the mustang or Obamastang), so the only nominally "American" ICE sedans for sale from the once-big 3 would be the ancient Daimler-chassis Dodge Charger I guess? I think they are planning to kill that off finally too.

And yet everything else I read says that EV's have been an economic disaster for the automakers. I suppose either the government subsidies are rich, or the penalties are brutal.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Isn't Camaro ICE?
Is it discontinued?
Not that I care.
Buck Turgidson
TTUArmy said:

Get your SRT Hellcat Redeye Widebody soon?

You forgot Superbee and Scatpack.

TheCurl84
AG
Teslag said:

I think it's just the demise of the sedan in general. Of the top 25 best selling vehicles, only 4 are ice sedans. The mid-size and small crossover SUV's killed the market. For about the same price you got more room, more cargo space, and similar performance and mpg.

Good points. I've never really understood the perception that these small SUVs offer more space and more cargo space. I've never felt like there was more space when I've driven them.
Buck Turgidson
AggieDruggist89 said:

Isn't Camaro ICE?
Is it discontinued?
Not that I care.

Yes it is discontinued. However, Dodge chickened out on making the Charger replacement all electric and is supposedly going to offer an ICE variant as well. By that I mean they will have both EV and ICE variants at the same time.
mm98
AG
sts7049 said:

Rental companies everywhere care
Teslag
AG
TheCurl84 said:

Teslag said:

Good points. I've never really understood the perception that these small SUVs offer more space and more cargo space. I've never felt like there was more space when I've driven them.

Perception is a powerful marketing tool. Look at minivans and full size SUV's. The minivan has more room and more cargo space yet when people have several kids, especially when they get older, mom feels she needs something "bigger" when the full size SUV is actually smaller. But they perceive it to be and that's what sells.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
usmcbrooks
BCR
Sedans are being discontinued by most manufacturers. SUV are all that sell.
lb3
AG
What will the FBI drive now?
FJB24
BCR said:

It's the government BS that has made SUV's basically replace smaller sedans. Now of course it's also the government 'helping' everyone move to even more inferior EV's, though Americans basically reject that but for a sliver of the market. GM and Ford are basically UAW brand names, subservient to Democrats, so this is no surprise.
Cen-Tex
AG
I bought a Malibu several years ago for work and paid for it through mileage reimbursements. It was comfortable to drive and economical to operate. Sold it a few years later to a small family needing a 'starter car'.
MouthBQ98
AG
The hatchback and wagon and small SUV markets merged and have killed off most specialized designs in those categories. Now they are just "suv", or tall wagons really.
Teslag
AG
FJB24 said:

BCR said:

It's the government BS that has made SUV's basically replace smaller sedans. Now of course it's also the government 'helping' everyone move to even more inferior EV's, though Americans basically reject that but for a sliver of the market. GM and Ford are basically UAW brand names, subservient to Democrats, so this is no surprise.

There were plenty of choices for domestic sedans 10 years ago. Nobody wanted them.
MouthBQ98
AG
What I don't get is the idiotic obsession with the impractical electric when hybrids are so much more versatile
Teslag
AG
Hybrids are a spork. ICE owners don't want the extra expense and worry of a battery, and BEV owners don't want them because they are lifeless and you still need to purchase gas.
TexasAggie73
AG
The 2025 Camry will all be hybrids.
MouthBQ98
AG
40-50mpg and 500-600 mile range and 5 minute fill ups?

Give me the "spork." Keep your EV toy. Fun but impractical for most drivers.
nortex97
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

What I don't get is the idiotic obsession with the impractical electric when hybrids are so much more versatile
Agreed. Of note; Tesla today (or yesterday?) ramps up layoffs in China.
AG
I watched this last night. I suspect this is why the malibu is going away. EPA playing games with trackwidth x wheelbase = MPG

fc2112
I've bought Malibus before for my teenagers to drive to school. Ten years ago, they were cheap and adequate.

Now, Honda and Toyota just own the small to midsize sedan market. I have a 2018 Accord that's my daily driver with over 100,000 miles that I'll keep driving til it dies. Great car.
Teslag
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

40-50mpg and 500-600 mile range and 5 minute fill ups?

Give me the "spork." Keep your EV toy. Fun but impractical for most drivers.

People don't want practical. There's a reason so many soccer mom's drive a full size SUV instead of a minivan. Or why so many people drive trucks but will never tow or haul anything. And yes, why so many Tesla owners have an EV instead of a used Honda Civil which is cheaper to run and more environmentally friendly.
Ag_of_08
AG
Doing away with it after this year. They'll have on ICE version with an i-6, the "performance" models will be an EV with fake shift points, and electric "exhaust" speaker, and "digital nitrous"
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.