Nobody will remember who was #1 in April

2,616 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by Adam87inSA
Adam87inSA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nor will anyone remember who was #1 in May.

Here are the ONLY things that Aggie baseball needs to concern itself with, in chronological order:
Earn a National (top 8) seed
Prove to be the best team in College Station the first weekend of June
Win the College Station Super Regional the second weekend of June
prove to be the best team Omaha June 14-24

The rest is noise.
AgLA06
AG
Adam87inSA said:

Here are the ONLY things that Aggie baseball needs to concern itself with, in chronological order:

The rest is noise.

This is just cope.

And the best part is there isn't any reason we still won't be #1 going into all of that if we take care of Ole Miss and win the Arkansas series.
buda91
AG
Agreed.

But first: Control the things you can control. One series, one at bat, one pitch at a time. Wear the right socks. Drink the correct bourbon. Don't jinx it.
cs69ag
AG
What gets remembered are teams that were NO. 1 all year, and then lose
their super regional on their home field and not go to Omaha like Tenn in 2022.

Or a team like Ole Miss, the last team to get in the field of 64, and win the NC with
23 losses for the year.

I will pass on going over 1989 again.
dixichkn
AG
cs69ag said:

What gets remembered are teams that were NO. 1 all year, and then lose
their super regional on their home field and not go to Omaha like Tenn in 2022.

Or a team like Ole Miss, the last team to get in the field of 64, and win the NC with
23 losses for the year.

I will pass on going over 1989 again.
Yeah let's not go there. That was the birth of BAS
milner79
Adam87inSA said:

Win the College Station Super Regional the second weekend of June and don't get trampled by soccer hooligans

The rest is noise.

cords12
It's all about getting hot at the right time. Best to get the slump out of the way now, even though I can't stand losing to the corn dogs! Friday and Saturday were tough to watch, but we fought through it and rebounded on Sunday!
The Marksman
AG
AgLA06 said:

Adam87inSA said:

The rest is noise.

This is just cope.

And the best part is there isn't any reason we still won't be #1 going into all of that if we take care of Ole Miss and win the Arkansas series.
The fact that the only important thing is being a top 8 national seed is "cope?" Your history says you're not usually on the baseball board so I'm not surprised...
AgLA06
AG
I am. I just don't post all the time.

I've generally been on the game threads.

This kind of BS post insinuating that only regulars get an opinion is one of the reasons I don't post more. It's beyond high schoolish.

The point of the thread is to justify why it's not a big deal we aren't #1. Which makes no sense as we can still be #1. Of course we want to be as highly seeded as possible. It's to the team's benefit all the way through.
Gyles Marrett
1 vs. 3 means far less in baseball. I like our chances in Omaha. I hope we are all having this are we #1 or #3 argument come this fall in the zoo as well.
BadMoonRisin
AG
We can't bat or pitch like we did this weekend and hope to do well in Omaha.

BUT, feeling this way will definitely help us out int he post-season.

That's all that matters. The boys will figure it out.
Leto Agtreides II
AG
AgLA06 said:

I am. I just don't post all the time.

I've generally been on the game threads.

This kind of BS post insinuating that only regulars get an opinion is one of the reasons I don't post more. It's beyond high schoolish.

The point of the thread is to justify why it's not a big deal we aren't #1. Which makes no sense as we can still be #1. Of course we want to be as highly seeded as possible. It's to the team's benefit all the way through.
We want to be as highly seeded as possible without being #1 though
Gyles Marrett
BadMoonRisin said:

We can't bat or pitch like we did this weekend and hope to do well in Omaha.

BUT, feeling this way will definitely help us out int he post-season.

That's all that matters. The boys will figure it out.
I think Schloss is heavily experimenting with the pitching options currently. I expect come post season time our weekend starters won't be the same 3 it's remained so far and we will see as heavy of doses needed to win of Asch, CC, Sdao, and Rudis. Seems he's really working right now to just try to find who will step up in the moment to add to that list.

Edit to add I think Stewart and Badmaev have come pretty close to the circle of trust on the mound at times.
safety guy
AG
Where we end up at the end of the regular season is not nearly as important as how well we are playing at the beginning of the tournament. I want us to be a top 8 seed, win our regional and host the super. But because the tournament does not reseed teams after each round, there are things that we don't control that could help or hurt. Heck, we could be a national 7 seed and have an easier path to the finals than the 1 seed or visa versa. Remember 2017. We had 2 straight teams in 15 and 16 that were great and should have gotten to Omaha. But we lost to tcu 2 years in a row in the supers. But we were a regional 3 seed in 2107 but got massive breaks and ended up in the cws. So I will just enjoy the games and trust that coach will have us very prepared.
dermdoc
AG
Adam87inSA said:

The rest is noise.

Somebody will remember. This is Texags.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Adam87inSA
AG
Touche
W
AG
well, actually...

on the midweek radio broadcast after the Ags went to #1...

they mentioned all the prior years that A&M reached #1 in the polls
Adam87inSA
AG
safety guy said:

Where we end up at the end of the regular season is not nearly as important as how well we are playing at the beginning of the tournament. I want us to be a top 8 seed, win our regional and host the super. But because the tournament does not reseed teams after each round, there are things that we don't control that could help or hurt. Heck, we could be a national 7 seed and have an easier path to the finals than the 1 seed or visa versa. Remember 2017. We had 2 straight teams in 15 and 16 that were great and should have gotten to Omaha. But we lost to tcu 2 years in a row in the supers. But we were a regional 3 seed in 2107 but got massive breaks and ended up in the cws. So I will just enjoy the games and trust that coach will have us very prepared.

Agreed.

Here's the thing. NCAA Tourney field is announced and seeded what, May 27th or so? THAT is when our ranking (and only the Committee's ranking) matters.
Not what our poll ranking was in March, or April, or early May.

As Schloss has said, THE most important thing to him is that the team is healthy going into the NCAAT.

But, apart from team health, does is really matter if A&M is #1 or #2? I would argue that there really isn't much of a difference there. But there's a HUGE difference between being #8 vs #9. The former is guaranteed to host a Super IF they win their Regional. The latter needs help to host a Super.

IF we get to Omaha, then once we get to Omaha the match-ups will be a crapshoot. VERY unlikely that chalk holds all the way through the Regionals and Supers.

So, the main thing (apart from team health) is to host and win our Regional, then host and win our Super. Then let the chips fall in Omaha and prove we are the best there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.