Freshman of the Year

3,776 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by akm91
Killzone3abc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone know Grahovacs odds for SEC or National Frashman of the Year? I'm not really sure who he's competing with right now either.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Freshman of the Year, Give it to him!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Sean98
AG
Killzone3abc said:

Anyone know Grahovacs odds for SEC or National Frashman of the Year? I'm not really sure who he's competing with right now either.
Google Drew Burress, read the stat line and come to grips with the fact that GG will be a distant, respectable second in the voting.
keysercade
AG
Sean98 said:

Killzone3abc said:

Google Drew Burress, read the stat line and come to grips with the fact that GG will be a distant, respectable second in the voting.
Wow.
bulverdeaggie93
AG
not sure Gavin ends up 2nd to that guy… SEC baseball vs weaker ACC… GG has more runs, 4 fewer HR… total bases right there… other kid runs a little… i'd say other kid maybe favorite right now… but GG could end up #1
bulverdeaggie93
AG
Georgia Tech pretty poor team… A&M top 5 nationally… has to weigh a little into it
RED AG 98
AG
Yup. Kinda like Bmont and the Golden Spikes award. He wins it at this pace many years but right now it is Condon's to lose.
Killzone3abc
AG
Sean98 said:

Killzone3abc said:

Forgot about Burress. His stats aren't THAT much better though. Grahovac could conceivably catch up if he went on a tear and Burress hit a slump, but as it stands I agree that Burress looks like the favorite between the two.
Burress
.355 AVG | 15 HR | 40 RBI | 1.296 OPS | 28 BB | 27 K | 6 SB
Grahovac
.319 AVG | 11 HR | 39 RBI | 1.042 OPS | 20 BB | 42 K | 0 SB
you moran
AG
12 HR now. I would agree that Burress leads right now but I wouldn't say Grahovac is a distant 2nd. Grahovac power/run producing numbers in SEC play are both impressive and better than Buress's power/run producing numbers against his ACC opponents.

Burress's batting average went up again though while Grahovac added a bomb.

Still a lot of baseball left though.

Update update - GG with 13 HR now.
Sean98
AG
Figured it was due an update given that Gavin has been named SEC Freshman of the Week.

Still think Burress is the leader, but GG, or the universe in general, didn't like my "distant" comment, so he just went and had a crazy weekend. It's hard for me to judge how much differently they get pitched, or the different competition (ACC still stacked in the Top 25).

Burress now hitting .374 on the season and .386 in conference. His OPS is almost 300 points above Gavin at this point. They've played NC State, UNC, VaTech so it's not like they've just feasted on nobodies.

Pretty clear any team in the country would kill to have either of them.
Sean98
AG
Oof... just looked at GaTech's next 5 conference series...

@ Virginia
Miami
@ Clemson
Duke
@ FSU
McInnis
AG
To me it seems like Grahovic is a bit ahead of where LaViolette was this time last year and that's saying a lot.
5StarShield
AG

CapCityAg89
AG
What's crazy is one of these guys WON'T win. Any other year and either runs away with it.
Sean98
AG
5StarShield said:

Gavin with almost 20 extra ABs. Being in a good offense not only gives him lineup protection, it's also given him 5 games worth of extra ABs compared to Burress.
Sean98
AG
No joke.
you moran
AG
Official ABs. There is about a 7 plate appearance difference. Of course that's because of more walks and sac's by Burress. The dude gets on base aside from his power.

But Grav has gotten better in conference play (9 of his 13 HR are against SEC teams, .783 slg and 1.148 ops conference only). Burress' ba and ob are slightly up in conference (impressive) but the slugging has come down (.677). So there is trending data in favor of Grav in terms of power production. Of course that could all change quickly.
you moran
AG
On a different note, Burress reminds me of the Aggie big 3 from the '89 team. Byington, Knoblauch and TNT all about the same size as Burress (Burress listed at 5'9, 175). Their size is probably the big reason all of them made it to campus.

Grahovac is a big dude. Glad we got him on campus (NIL?) but how impressed would we be if Chestnut had Burress's numbers as a fish
Sean98
AG
I didn't look close enough. Thanks for pointing that out.
Killzone3abc
AG
So Grahovac is the clear favorite for SEC Freshman of the year at least right?
trouble
AG
It's starting to look that way
Sean98
AG
If he finishes the season with 6 straight SEC fish of the week awards I'll say he is the front runner.

On Drew Burress watch: 6-14, 4 walks, 3 RBI 2 2b, 1 HR in the series win over UVa.
Killzone3abc
AG
Who is his competition for SEC Frashman of the year? Burress is his competition for National Frashman of the Year, and the guy doesn't seem ctachable right now in anything other than HR numbers. Who are the notable freshmen in the SEC this year? The pool doesn't seem as large as that insane 2023 Frashman class with LaViolette (A&M), Petry (USCe), Irish (Auburn), Jordan (MSU), Jones (LSU), and technically Condon (UGA). I think there are some really good frsshman pitchers in the conference this year, but I couldn't tell you their names.
Gyles Marrett
I've watched both play, and even if I removed my bias and had to take one for the next two years...I'd still take GG.
aggiedadofpanda
AG
Burress wins National Freshman of the Year, Gavin wins SEC Freshman of the Year. He is going to be a PROBLEM for the SEC the next couple of years.
akm91
AG
Ga Tech's RPI is 60 right now. Wonder if that's going to factor into the voting at all.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.