2016 Summer Baseball

24,423 Views | 128 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mdanyc03
MMantle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
But, Hop, he is only guaranteed to lead off an inning once per game.

His other ABs may often come with men-on-base, when we turn the lineup over, you don't need a table-setter then, you need someone who can swing the bat, and drive home runners.

RR
Foxo
AG
But he will always have the 2, 3 and 4 hitters behind him.
MMantle
AG
No disagreement.

But, if you bat Choruby leadoff, he'll be following the 8- and 9-hole hitters. these guys are, usually, 2 of the weaker hitters in your lineup, don't want 3 in a row.

RR
Foxo
AG
Homan was not the first high average and speedy 9 hole hitter in recent years.
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:
No disagreement.

But, if you bat Choruby leadoff, he'll be following the 8- and 9-hole hitters. these guys are, usually, 2 of the weaker hitters in your lineup, don't want 3 in a row.

RR

So all of those teams over the past 120 years that put a fast, contact hitter with marginal power in the lead-off spot have been wrong all this time?
mdanyc03
AG
Yes, that is correct.

mdanyc03
AG
https://cornerthree.net/2014/07/29/the-batting-order-where-managers-cost-their-teams-wins/

MMantle
AG
Great article, thanks for sharing.

I never thought much about it, but I think you're right, Hop, I do feel differently about the leadoff hitter than most others.

When I coached HS kids during summer ball, many years ago, my one-hole guy was always one of my best athletes.

Yes, he had to be able to run, but more important, I wanted one of my best hitters up there, very similar to when Brodie batted first for Ags.

RR
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:
But, Hop, he is only guaranteed to lead off an inning once per game.

His other ABs may often come with men-on-base, when we turn the lineup over, you don't need a table-setter then, you need someone who can swing the bat, and drive home runners.

RR
I'm sure there's been a study done that I haven't seen, but being the first player in a lineup will be the leadoff hitter in any inning much more than any other lineup spot. Obviously the #1 spot gets a minimum of one leadoff opportunity, and with weak hitters at #8 and #9, the odds are pretty good they will leadoff multiple innings.

OBP is the primary criteria for that top spot. If that player has a high OBP and just happens to have some power as well, that's a bonus. But what doesn't make sense is to put a hitter with power in the #1 spot who doesn't walk that much and strikes out a lot.
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:
Great article, thanks for sharing.

I never thought much about it, but I think you're right, Hop, I do feel differently about the leadoff hitter than most others.

When I coached HS kids during summer ball, many years ago, my one-hole guy was always one of my best athletes.

Yes, he had to be able to run, but more important, I wanted one of my best hitters up there, very similar to when Brodie batted first for Ags.

RR
And I'm not saying anything differently because I'm talking about putting the best hitter in terms of OBP in the top spot which is usually one of the best athletes.
Foxo
AG
Brazos Valley:

Lichty's hitting has picked up and average now up to 0.259. Metten at 0.378.
Tex100
AG
Gage Bock just posted that Corbin Martin will be on his show tomorrow after a big summer at Cape Cod.
Foxo
AG
Wisconsin Woodchucks @ChucksBaseball 2h2 hours ago

.@GeorgeJanca HOMERS AGAIN!! Janca didn't homer in his first 188 at-bats this summer, now he has home runs in back-to-back ABs! 6-0 'Chucks!

@GeorgeJanca: 3-5, 2 HR, 4 RBI, 2 R

+

Kendall Rogers ... Aug 11:
Heard @AggieBaseball RHP Corbin Martin was 95-98 out of the pen tonight for @FalCommodores. Big-time rising prospect for 2017. #mlbdraft

+

And from professional baseball Aug 11:
Helena Brewers @helenabrewers Aug 12

Ronnie Gideon goes yard in the bottom of the 3rd to put the Brewers up 2-0.. Gideon's 10th HR of the season, his hit streak now at 15 games!

+
Aug 10
Hunter Melton Retweeted
[url=https://twitter.com/GJRockies] GrandJunctionRockies @GJRockies [/url]Aug 10
NOTE: Hunter Melton's 5th inning grand slam is the Rockies first since Kevin Padlo's on August 21, 2014 at Idaho Falls
29 retweets 68 likes

+

Mr.Ackar07
Nick Choruby and the Savannah Bananas won the Coast Plain League Championship Series last night with a 9-7 win over the Peninsula Pilots. The Bananas won in their inaugural season.
MMantle
AG
Savannah Bananas???

Really??

RR
Hop
Staff
AG
Choruby led the team in hitting at .400.
Foxo
AG
1. Stephen Kolek, rhp, Mat-Su (So., Texas A&M)

A year after Corbin Martin was named the circuit's best prospect, another Aggie landed atop the list as the physical righthander Kolek flashed the type of movement and velocity on his fastball that made some think he could be a first-round pick in due time. The younger brother of 2014 No. 2 overall pick Tyler Kolek, Stephen pitched in just 12 games for the Aggies as a freshman but impressed anyway, striking out 21 in 30 innings and posting a 3.30 ERA. He was even better for the Miners this summer, striking out 32 in just 37 innings and finishing with a 2.45 ERA. Already 6-foot-3 and 210 pounds, Kolek used a cutter, two-seam fastball and sinker, all of which sat 89-92 mph this summer, to overpower opposing hitters. Other pitchers on the circuit might have thrown harder, but few boasted more movement on their pitches than Kolek. The hard sinker is his best pitch currently and if he is able to add strength and velocity down the road as Miners' coach Ben Taylor expects he will, the pitch will be downright lethal. He pitches off his variety of fastballs but his secondary stuff isn't below-average either. The changeup has good sink in its own right and has a chance to be an average pitch down the road while the curveball needs refinement but did show good depth at times. Despite his size and how hard he throws Kolek doesn't put a lot of effort into his delivery and his motion is very clean. This allowed him to throw all of his pitches for strikes in any count and keep hitters guessing. Kolek's command came and went this summer but that was at least partially attributed to the movement on his pitches.

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/179601/#XkDDTPXU4JErwlMG.99

+ + +

Postseason Recap: The Mat-Su Miners failed to finish off their historic regular season with a championship in 2015 but they were back in the finals again after owning the best regular season record again this summer. This time they sealed the deal, sweeping the Peninsula Oilers in two games. Stephen Kolek (Texas A&M), Mick Vorhof (Grand Canyon) and Jordan Floyd (Kansas State) combined to hold the Oilers to just five hits and first baseman Jake Scudder (Kansas State) rapped out three hits and scored twice as the Miners took game one, 3-1. Game two was not as close as designated hitter Jacob Hughey (Long Beach State) and Garrison Schwartz (Grand Canyon) led the way with four hits from the leadoff spot and two RBIs from the three-hole respectively. Tyler Wyatt (Grand Canyon) got the win with three scoreless innings of relief before Floyd slammed the door on the series-clinching win.

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/179601/#TUMGiSIjz8WGVqLC.99

Foxo
AG
COLLEGE STATION, Texas Texas A&M junior pitcher Corbin Martin was named to the 2016 All-Cape Cod League team, the prestigious summer league announced on Wednesday.

Martin was named to the 30-player player All-Cape Cod League squad as a closer.

He appeared in 14 games for the Falmouth Commodores, logging six saves and a 1.15 ERA. He logged 22 strikeouts and issued only three walks in 15.2 innings.

Martin helped lead the Commodores to a 29-15 record to claim the West Division title. Falmouth advanced to the Cape Cod League Championship Series, falling to the Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox in a best-of-three series. He made three postseason appearances, logging two saves and striking out seven in 3.2 innings.

The Cypress-native appeared in 12 games for the Aggies in 2016, including three starts. He finished the year with a 1-1 record and 30 strikeouts in 24.2 innings of work. As a freshman, Martin was 2-0 with a 2.95 ERA in 14 relief appearances.

Foxo
AG
Mitchell Kilkenny named top prospect in Northwoods League:

1. Mitchell Kilkenny, rhp, Madison (So., Texas A&M)

Kilkenny worked out of the bullpen for Texas A&M this spring but impressed when he did get opportunities, posting a 1.67 ERA and 29 strikeouts in 27 innings. He started five games for Madison and showed the best combination of stuff and projectability of any pitcher in the league. Listed at 6-foot-4, 202 pounds, Kilkenny has a lean, athletic frame and his motion is loose and easy. He stays upright throughout, throws from a high three-quarters arm slot and works quickly. Kilkenny works with a four-pitch arsenal and throws them all for strikeshe had just three walks in 32 innings this summer. He works 90-94 mph with his fastball, throws a changeup and curveball in the 77-80 mph range and a cutter from 87-91 mph. The latter pitch might be his bestit has excellent depth and deception, especially when it's thrown down in the zone, and hitters were often helpless against it during the summer.

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/texas-ams-mitchell-kilkenny-sits-atop-northwoods-leagues-prospects/#ZEL7AvMvfLheCVuB.99

dirkjones
AG
Heard Kilkenny ended the summer with a hurt elbow, maybe partial tear to the UCL. Is going to rest it and see how it responds.
mdanyc03
AG
What are the range of possible outcomes here?
dirkjones
AG
If he has a partial tear, the eventual outcome does not seem to promising to me. Seems like just waiting to tear completely. Another returning pitcher had a procedure post season on his arm but he is said to be feeling good now.
mdanyc03
AG
So tommy John surgery and he'd basically be done at a&m?
Mr.Ackar07
quote:
So tommy John surgery and he'd basically be done at a&m?
He'd be a red shirt with 3 more eligible years left, plus he is not a draft eligible sophomore, so he would back for 2017 one way or another unless he transferred.
mdanyc03
AG
I was assuming 18 months for tommy John surgery.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.