Vandy sour grapes

10,187 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TxAgg07
SchizoAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There's an interesting comment thread over at d1baseball.com that you guys might want to overrun.

quote:
Vandy should be ok today, Bama does not have Childress in the dugout to let the players know when Fulmer will be throwing a fastball. Gotta love former coaches knowing what to look for when a pitcher throws a certain pitch, If you think A&M roughed up Fulmer because they are good you are delusional. They are good, but not that good. Fulmer has been known to tip his pitches. And what better person to know that than his Team USA coach from last summer.
AG
Works for me!
Basketball and Chain
AG
L. O. L.
CampingAg
AG
Having a scouting report on a player is cheating!
TxAgg07
AG
Mmmkay
CampingAg
AG
quote:
Fulmer has been known to tip his pitches.

Easy solution: Don't tip your pitches.
CapCityAg89
AG
If he can explain the logistics of that to me, I'll be happy to consider it. Headsets?

On a related note, why don't they allow headsets in baseball? It works for football.
BQ_90
AG
So as the pitcher gets set, he tips his pitchers, so then RC can see that then signal it to the batter, who can't see RC at all? That's pretty impressive.

TempleAg97
AG
If Childress is that good, he deserves a raise and Fullmer better forget about professional baseball. That's some bigtime sour grapes right there.
Treyco10
AG
The broadcasters talked about this for about 2 mins yesterday and BOTH said that the way he shields w/ his glove would make it pretty dang tough for anyone to know what he was throwing...
SchizoAg
AG
quote:
If he can explain the logistics of that to me, I'll be happy to consider it. Headsets?

On a related note, why don't they allow headsets in baseball? It works for football.
Interesting idea. But wouldn't having a coach yapping in your ear all the time prevent you from learning to observe things for yourself?
SchizoAg
AG
quote:
The broadcasters talked about this for about 2 mins yesterday and BOTH said that the way he shields w/ his glove would make it pretty dang tough for anyone to know what he was throwing...
I'm wondering if the "tip" is something else. Like breathing really hard, in preparation for a hard fastball. Childress could've taught the batters what to look for.

Probably BS, but fun to think about.
McGibblets
AG
Sure, Childress might know some of his pitch tendencies a little better, and be able to have the batters a little more prepared for what COULD be thrown, but there's no way he can tell each pitch FROM THE DUGOUT.
Basketball and Chain
AG
This is literally one of the dumbest things I've ever read, and that dumbass goes on and on trying to defend his position.

At least we know that even though Vandy has a proud academic tradition, they have idiot graduates, too.
AGSmith
AG
quote:
We had a good scouting report, and SEC Network put out game plan on the air an hour before the game, for the entire world including the Vandy coaches and Fulmer to see. That should balance out, if not give Vandy a distinct advantage, especially since Fulmer is "the best in the country".
Falcon85
AG
My guess is that Childress called his pitches last summer.
Lance Uppercut
AG
mid90
AG
I really feel bad that Vandy had the SECN air their hitting coach giving the offensive gameplan to the team on a live national broadcast right before the game.

Oh wait, that was us. STFU Vandy
dermdoc
AG
Went to Vandy last year and their fans are very similar to Rice. Think they know everything about baseball and everyone else is beneath them.

Oh and Wahhhhhhhhhh!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
greg.w.h
AG
A better explanation is taking early breaking, and sitting on early fast balls which is what happened...
LSU Baseball Fan
Carson Fulmer is probably still the best pitcher in the nation right now, but he's not as good as Aaron Nola was for us last year. When Fulmer's breaking ball isn't working, he has to rely on his fastball too much, and any good hitting team like LSU or A&M will eventually start timing those and blasting them all over the park.

What was surprising about yesterday's game was that A&M jumped on him pretty much in the first 15 batters or so. Usually when a team pummels an opposing pitcher like that, it takes a trip through most of the order before they start figuring him out. A&M pounced on him immediately.
SchizoAg
AG
This cryptic comment from Vandy's coach makes me wonder if he's thinking the same thing.

mdanyc03
AG
I'd like to think that childress not only learned how he tips his pitches but actually instilled the faulty mechanics by subterfuge while working as his coach.

All in preparation for the game yesterday. Mastermind.
Expert Analysis
AG
Dear Vandy, your coach chose to save Fulmer so he could face us. STFU with your *****ing.
Lance Uppercut
AG
No mystery. Lineup full of guys that feast on fastballs, a coach who told them to wait for fastballs, and Fulmer throwing the majority of his breakers in the dirt where we mostly weren't swinging at them because they were waiting for fastballs.

If Fulmer kept dropping his curve in for strikes consistently, it would have changed things. But he was throwing a lot of the breaking stuff low.
Goose06
AG
quote:
This cryptic comment from Vandy's coach makes me wonder if he's thinking the same thing.

How was that cryptic? He just said Fulmer was not off and that what happened today would help us moving forward. Lets not try and say their coach is making any sort of accusation with that, because there was not even a hint of that in his comments. Same for Fulmer's comments where he gave us credit for a great approach.
Sean98
AG
quote:
If Fulmer kept dropping his curve in for strikes consistently, it would have changed things. But he was throwing a lot of the breaking stuff low.
Jackson57
That's it Sean. The Vanderbilt fan is just looking for an excuse. It's really not rocket science...dude couldn't locate his breaking ball consistently (Childress could have certainly known that fact going in) and we simply sat on his fastball ....and in turn hammered it
Brazos Ag 1970
AG
quote:
"If you don't have a Scouting Report on your opponents, then you ain't tryin'!"
OnlyForNow
AG
The broadcasters were talking about his glove flutter being a tell.
ProudAg16
AG
quote:
Carson Fulmer is probably still the best pitcher in the nation right now, but he's not as good as Aaron Nola was for us last year. When Fulmer's breaking ball isn't working, he has to rely on his fastball too much, and any good hitting team like LSU or A&M will eventually start timing those and blasting them all over the park.

What was surprising about yesterday's game was that A&M jumped on him pretty much in the first 15 batters or so. Usually when a team pummels an opposing pitcher like that, it takes a trip through most of the order before they start figuring him out. A&M pounced on him immediately.
I wouldn't say his breaking ball wasn't working, we just weren't going after it. He has so much movement on it that it usually falls out of the zone if you have enough strength to lay off of it.
Texas 1836
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm wondering if the "tip" is something else. Like breathing really hard, in preparation for a hard fastball. Childress could've taught the batters what to look for.

Probably BS, but fun to think about.
McGibblets
AG
What happened here?
SchizoAg
AG
quote:
quote:

How was that cryptic? He just said Fulmer was not off and that what happened today would help us moving forward. Lets not try and say their coach is making any sort of accusation with that, because there was not even a hint of that in his comments. Same for Fulmer's comments where he gave us credit for a great approach.
I'm just trying to read between the lines. How will this game help them going forward, unless they learned something about themselves that they can fix?

Sure, it helps in a generic sense of "every loss is a learning experience". But Corbin's flatline intonation in his curt reply made me think it might be more than that.
Corded
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.