Recent offensive struggles?

5,857 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by W
ColoradoMooseHerd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In the video, the guy picking up balls is lucky he did not get killed
Bunk Moreland
no kidding.
Tripacer
Gideon looked like he was hacking away for the fences last night and was missing badly. Maybe that pitcher just had him guessing wrong, but a lot of his swings weren't close.
Bunk Moreland
from what I saw he was missing fastballs right down the pipe a lot last night.

No big deal if it happens here and there. Everyone has an off night. You don't always feel 100% showing up to the park. Some days your timing is just off for whatever reason.

For Ronnie, though, he has been really feast or famine for a while now. And a lot of the feasting has been off subpar pitching.
matt.maggio3
AG
I think there are multiple reasons for the recent struggles, and all of them can be remedied:
1. we are facing better pitching, as the quality of teams we face increase that's bound to happen; as the season goes on, pitchers become more and more comfortable on the mound (unless they are headcases of course). Likely won't change, but no need to press, the more a pitcher throws in a year, the more data points we have to analyze
2. we do have a few dead pull hitters that are trying to make an adjustment to hit the outside pitch away, this will get better as they adjust their swings. Last night's late inning push was a good example of hitting the pitch where it's thrown
3. Because of #1, games are going to be a little closer by nature. It looks to me on the tv that some of our batters are pressing a little too much and trying to force some hits and are starting to be a little less disciplined than earlier in the season. Can be remedied by remaining calm, not trying to take the extra base going 1st to 3rd on a single to center and making me think that Sawyers was coaching again. Close games just take calm and patience and then take advantage of the other team pressing.
4. We started the year off with hot bats. It's a long season and we are 38 games in now. Completely natural to have a slump or a lull. The key is to not let any offensive lull/slump lose games. Momentum will slow down at some point and it has now, but I fully believe this team can start it back up and finish strong. That is the key. I'm ok with the mid season lull we seem to have hit as long as we keep finding ways to win and then be on the upswing come mid may and june. I think that is way better than foot on the accelerator and then hit a wall.

SHSU-AG
Would like to see more of Hinsley. Even though his avg. is low, he either walks or at least puts the ball in play. Doesn't strike out very often.
JeffHamilton82
quote:
from what I saw Gideon was missing fastballs right down the pipe a lot last night.
Yep. Wasn't even fouling them off. Just complete misses. I couldn't tell, but his bat seemed to be just above the ball.
Super12
Horrendous ? Well seems 8 hole hitter had an Ob% .500 and a double . That bottom of the lineup and definatly not to shabby. BTHOhOGS!!!!!
Rocco S
A few points to consider.

When you're used to seeing SEC pitching and a good pitcher from Rice lately, some guy making his first start for ACU can throw off hitters. He didn't have great stuff, but he had great control and had us off on our timing. It's kind of like how a non D1 football team running the option team can give a good D1 defense fits.

Over confidence. We've been hitting the ball well all season, maybe we lost some focus. However, after 2 not so great outputs vs MSU, with the series on the line Sunday, we murdered the ball.

Coaches figuring out how to pitch us. We will adjust to that.

Some really bad base running.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us regain our focus and hammer the hogs this weekend.

matt.maggio3
AG
quote:
Would like to see more of Hinsley. Even though his avg. is low, he either walks or at least puts the ball in play. Doesn't strike out very often.
This caught my attention so I briefly compared Hinsley vs Gideon, at least on paper:
Hinsley/Gideon
SO%: 11.1%/30.4% Hinsley strikes out about 1/3 less than Gideon (6 guys - 3 regulars- have 20%+ SO%s)
OBP: .431/.402 Hinsley gets on base slightly more than Gideon, but not by a material amound IMO
BA: .194/.337 Hinsley does not get base hits as often as Gideon
GDP%: 11.1%/7.6% Hinsley hits into about 1.5x more double plays than Gideon (McClendon is 14.3% FWIW)
RBI%: 27.7%/34.8% Hinsley's ABs produce about 7% fewer RBIs than Gideons

What is more important? Striking out less or generating runs and not generating 2 outs with a single AB?

While the above doesn't take into account the circumstances of the at bats, I see Gideon as having more productive ABs btwn the 2, even though he strikes out a lot.

Gigemaggies123
quote:

No big deal if it happens here and there. Everyone has an off night. You don't always feel 100% showing up to the park. Some days your timing is just off for whatever reason.

For Ronnie, though, he has been really feast or famine for a while now. And a lot of the feasting has been off subpar pitching.
isn't this what got notte benched early in the season before the injury
matt.maggio3
AG
quote:
A few points to consider.

When you're used to seeing SEC pitching and a good pitcher from Rice lately, some guy making his first start for ACU can throw off hitters. He didn't have great stuff, but he had great control and had us off on our timing. It's kind of like how a non D1 football team running the option team can give a good D1 defense fits.

Over confidence. We've been hitting the ball well all season, maybe we lost some focus. However, after 2 not so great outputs vs MSU, with the series on the line Sunday, we murdered the ball.

Coaches figuring out how to pitch us. We will adjust to that.

Some really bad base running.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us regain our focus and hammer the hogs this weekend.

Agree with everything stated. Although Sunday games should have more offense than Friday and Saturday games given the pitcher is typically 3rd best pitcher, likely a larger talent gap than friday to saturday starters, and bullpen likely to be less sharp if used the days before.
Sean98
AG
quote:
quote:

isn't this what got notte benched early in the season before the injury

Except with Notte early on it was all famine.
Sean98
AG
quote:
quote:
This caught my attention so I briefly compared Hinsley vs Gideon, at least on paper:
Hinsley/Gideon
SO%: 11.1%/30.4% Hinsley strikes out about 1/3 less than Gideon (6 guys - 3 regulars- have 20%+ SO%s)
OBP: .431/.402 Hinsley gets on base slightly more than Gideon, but not by a material amound IMO
GDP%: 11.1%/7.6% Hinsley hits into about 1.5x more double plays than Gideon (McClendon is 14.3% FWIW)

What is more important? Striking out less or generating runs and not generating 2 outs with a single AB?

While the above doesn't take into account the circumstances of the at bats, I see Gideon as having more productive ABs btwn the 2, even though he strikes out a lot.

Not asking you to dig this up but knowing how many of those at bats took place with RISP would be a key metric.
Super12
It's nice that the research was done but , defense wins championships . With that said can hinsley play 3rd? If not then this discussion is irrelevant !!
MaroonStain
AG
36 games into a season and most teams will start to get away from fundamentals and starting reacting to the point of overreaction. It's a staff's job to refocus on fundamentals before bad habits and mistakes become a mountain.
MaroonStain
AG
In short, we will see if this squad has the discipline to get out of a "slump." Hopefully, we see it to succession through the post-season.
MMantle
AG
Agree with Bunk, the pitching gets a lot tougher in April and May, a lot different than what we saw in Feb and March.

I also like going to the opposite field, but you're not going to change the swings of Melton, Gideon or Nottebrok, they're all-or-none guys, with big swings, that won't change mid-season.
Sean98
AG
quote:
Agree with Bunk, the pitching gets a lot tougher in April and May, a lot different than what we saw in Feb and March.

I also like going to the opposite field, but you're not going to change the swings of Melton, Gideon or Nottebrok, they're all-or-none guys, with big swings, that won't change mid-season.

Melton and Gideon went the other way a lot early in the season.
matt.maggio3
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Hinsley/Gideon

Not asking you to dig this up but knowing how many of those at bats took place with RISP would be a key metric.
Good questions. As mentioned, I didn't take into account the circumstances, and I'd have to get someone who keeps score every game to pull that data. But RISP and runners on in general would definitely impact 2 of those stats (GDP% and RBI%).
BeatHellOutOfTU
AG
Oh my gosh our offense sucks! Lol 10 - 0 in the 5th
RGLAG85
AG
Worry...worry....worry, nash.....nash.....nash

Baseballs a funny game.
W
AG
to quote former astros pitcher Joaquin Andujar...when asked to describe baseball in one word...he famously replied:

"you never know"

----
the Ags scuffle to score 3 runs vs. lowly ACU...and then plate 21 runs in less than 2 games vs. the Hogs (against two future high draft picks: Killian and Jackson)
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.