****Aggies vs. Missouri-Saturday****

40,933 Views | 578 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Southlake
C5Aggie03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We've lost 2 games!! The sky is falling.....
Geriatric Punk
AG
Fire Childress.
Agnzona
LOB was a killer today. Let's take the rubber match!
dallasag00
AG
Let's keep things positive. Can still win the series against the first place team in the east tomorrow. I'll take that happily!
Phil Miller
I won't go to any more baseball games
trouble
AG
quote:
I won't go to any more baseball games

It was you
Tanya 93
FIRE MAX!
W
AG
just got back from a tough loss at BBP...the defensive miscues were costly today vs. the weak-hitting Tigers. The pitching was adequate. I expected the offense to score more than 3 runs. The Ags need a big and long game from Kent tomorrow. Can't keep going to the bullpen in the 6th inning.

Gideon's ejection was a big play in the game. It shortened the Ags bench by one player and that handicapped Bolt somewhat in the 8th & 9th innings. Going forward Kopetsky needs to be pinch hit for in critical situations. His AB was terrible in the 8th inning -- struck out on 3 pitches -- a non-competitive at-bat in the clutch. Also I would have liked to seen Choruby straight steal second base in the 9th. That's his job. Sometimes he will have to steal the base to get into scoring position.

And finally...while Gideon & Melton give the Ags a huge advantage over other teams by hitting 6-7 or 6-8 in the batting order...I think it's time to move them up into the top 5 or top 6 in the order. And also move Banks into the 3-hole. Nau is not an SEC caliber 3-hole hitter. He is hitting .257 in league play with zero x-base hits. That won't work. Can't give Nau AB's ahead of Banks and Gideon. We saw that today
sharpdressedman
quote:
Why no try at a safety squeeze with Birk?
This. Worst case the runner is out at the plate but tying run is in scoring position at second and the winning run on first. Best case game over and Ags win.

And, late in the game with runner on first, the third baseman must protect the line to prevent an extra base hit. Putting Melton at third cost us dearly.
W
AG
I will add...another excellent game for Barash today. He may start again tomorrow to contain the Missouri running game
AggieBB
AG
quote:
Why no try at a safety squeeze with Birk?
This was the only rational option in that situation. I don't even think it crossed Bolt's mind.
CypressAg09
AG
Umps strike zone was not consistent today.
Super12
@ sharp dressed man, You have absolutely no idea ! Bolt lines up the defense according to tendencies they have scouted and pitch location. I do agree however that there are some questionable positioning by the coach , but Melton is our very beat option.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Melton was there because Gideon was ejected, and either one of them there are prone to mistakes at third. But you wouldn't want to take at bats from either of them if you don't have a lead.

I wouldn't say a squeeze with Birk is the "only solution". He doesn't have a single bunt on the year (or last year), but a number of SF to the outfield. His just didn't get deep enough. Asking him to drop a bunt on a squeeze may be asking more of him than you think.

There's a lot of second guessing going on because of the nature of today's game, but the staff didn't do anything mindless or stupid today. The most questionable play may be Kopetsky hitting with 2 outs, but the replacement options in that situation are mostly bigger strike out threats than his is or coming off the bench with averages near .100. That might have been Hinsley's AB if he hadn't already been forced in, or you might have given it to Moroney (who before today had one less K that Kopetsky in half the ABs). I would agree with moving up Banks and Melton however.
MAROON
AG
quote:
quote:
Just not our day. Error, walks, and too many left on.

Come back and win tomorrow

Can never leave too many on.

runners LOB means you have runners to leave on base.

No need to want an RBI put out... I'd prefer an RBI single...

complaining about too many runners LOB is like complaining about too few third downs.

What weak sauce.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Hate to belabor a point, but we should have tried a safety squeeze with Birk's AB.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
West Texan
AG
Hindsight is 20/20, but letting Birk hit away there isn't a bad decision. Yes, he had been struggling, but it wasn't like he had 4 Ks on the day; he was still putting the ball in play and put it in play there in the 9th. A sac fly would have tied it and he just wasn't able to get it deep enough. Tough break. Maybe a safety squeeze would have worked, but having a little faith in your 2 hole hitter isn't a horrible call.
AggieBB
AG
Birk is struggling mightily right now at the plate. The chances of him driving in the run off Mizzous closer were far less than him simply getting a bunt down. I know he hasn't bunted much this year, but if he's going to be a 2 hole hitter he has to be able to get a bunt down.
AggieBB
AG
quote:
quote:
Just not our day. Error, walks, and too many left on.

Come back and win tomorrow

Can never leave too many on.

runners LOB means you have runners to leave on base.

No need to want an RBI put out... I'd prefer an RBI single...

complaining about too many runners LOB is like complaining about too few third downs.
Lolwut?
Southlake
Pretty underwhelming. Thought they were better.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.