Sawyers going back to KSU?

9,489 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Yell Practice
BQ_90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jacob, if Sawyers is the problem I'll come back and eat crow. The other RC here also fired a bunch of offensive coordinators with not much changing.

Jacob_House 27
quote:
Jacob, if Sawyers is the problem I'll come back and eat crow. The other RC here also fired a bunch of offensive coordinators with not much changing.

I'm not saying SawDawg is the problem. No need to eat crow. I was referring to the "buddies" comment.

I'd also say it's safe to say it's a little early to speculate without any statement or explanation for the change from anyone.
agfan92
AG
Whether Sawyers was the main problem or was not the main problem, it seemed very apparent that he was unable to be or provide the solution to that problem.

Here's to the next guy being a solution. . . and best wishes to Sawyers as he moves on.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Childress hasn't "fired" a lot of assistants. There have been two associate coaches...Deggs and Sawyers. Deggs wasn't 'fired' for being a bad baseball coach, and the rest of that previous list of guys have ended up getting promotions from what their station was at A&M. Sawyers is the first one to leave for what I assume isn't a promotion, move home or pay increase.

And like Kendall Rogers was saying, I assume Will Bolt is the first phone call. From Conroe, assistant back in the first years of Childress at A&M, a few championships as a HC during his time at Texarkana, went to Nebraska and vastly improved their offense and tutored a top ranked defense. He's at Nebraska, where he played, but from what I've dug up from a year ago the associate gig at A&M comes with about a 50% pay increase.

[This message has been edited by Lance Uppercut (edited 7/16/2014 6:56p).]
BQ_90
AG
Doesn't seem to me that Rob looks outside to hire anyone. Either former player or somebody he coached with.

Not a recipe for change, just more of the same.

Again I'll eat crow if I'm wrong.

rallydawg
AG
I doubt RC will hire anyone he doesn't know he can control completely
Hop
Staff
AG
Hearing Will Bolt as well. Also heard that Sawyers' move was a mutual decision.
Sea Gull
AG
I hope this doesn't affect recruiting, which I don't think it will. Don't think Andy had a lot of recruiting duties. Seely is the main recruiter, correct?
Rocco S
Bolt's bio:

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=90230

While I'm happy we have a new hitting instructor, as others have said, it doesn't move the needle much for me. I'd rather see us hire from outside the Van Horn - Childress family tree and bring in an entire new philosophy. Bolt seems like a comfort hire.

I am however encouraged by the fact that Sawyers was apparently nudged out the door, more than likely it signifies someone has told RC his seat is heating up.
Rocco S
quote:
quote:
the problem isn't the back seat driver.

This just give Rob another chance to hire one of his buddies and get him paid before they're all fired.

BQ_90, your bitterness is so subtle..

quote:
Hearing Will Bolt as well. Also heard that Sawyers' move was a mutual decision.

So if RC isn't protecting/hiring his buddies, why did he wait till Sawyers had a landing spot at KSU to nudge him out the door? If he wanted to replace him, why wasn't he already let go immediately following the season and a search in place for a new guy underway ASAP before any candidates we might have wanted were off the table?
TXAGBQ76
AG
How do we know he wasn't given his notice, given time to find a new job, etc. it allowed him to,leave with some degree of dignity at least.

Not every firing has to,be ugly and nasty.
CWS94
AG
Great comment TXAGBQ76
85AustinAg
AG
Most coaches of any sport don't go outside of their comfort level, their coaching tree so to speak. Of course he's going to go with guys he knows or is comfortable with. Why is this surprising?
NewAggieBallFan
Rocco S
quote:
How do we know he wasn't given his notice, given time to find a new job, etc. it allowed him to,leave with some degree of dignity at least.

Not every firing has to,be ugly and nasty.

Why does any of that matter?
Captain Pablo
AG
NewAggieBallFan1:20p:

quote:

Well said

Silver Taps
Sawyers was not our big problem. Hope he does well at KSU.

Good Luck Andy.

[This message has been edited by Silver Taps (edited 7/17/2014 3:23p).]
Aggie95
AG
the new coach is going to look like a hero with the new baseball coming to the game next year.
BradC34
AG
quote:
Whoever is the hitting coach for New Mexico.

Birmingham has a lot to do with that. His guys raked when he was at NMJC and now they rake at UNM. The guy can teach hitting.
75AG
AG
quote:
Sawyers was not our big problem. Hope he does well at KSU.

He may not be our biggest problem, but Sawyers was clearly a big problem.
Captain Pablo
AG
We can argue all day about what the "problem" is/was.

It will never be settled unless someone has 100% knowledge of whether, and to what extent, Childress involves himself with the offense, either by direct technique coaching, or general philosophy

I think its foolish to think a baseball manager is completely uninvolved with the offense. And frankly, almost all of the offenses around college baseball are bad. It's a product of the INSANE decision to kill offense in baseball.

That said, about the only time we as fans saw Sawyers on an island was when he was in the 3B box. And that is where we all witnessed mind boggling ineptitude at times

The best thing we can do as fans, IMO, is hope a fix is on the way. Support the new guy and see how it all turns out.

I am not optimistic that such a band aid approach will make that much of a difference, but we'll see.

Hopefully things will turn around and we can soon witness that ever-elusive 3rd single game CWS win in program history

[This message has been edited by Captain Pablo (edited 7/18/2014 8:25a).]
JohnnieBB
AG
Well said Captain!
Mark Fairchild
AG
AMEN, Capt.

Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Phil Garner
quote:
Does the lateral move mean RC gave him a nudge?

No.
Kemo Sabe
Childress is reminding me a lot of Dennis franchione. He keeps his buddies employed to make sure they cover for him.
W
AG
I tend to think there was a nudge. It wasn't just a bad weekend in the 3rd base box at the regional. Remember twice during the season a player (the same player) ran thru a Sawyers' stop sign...and scored. The most notable being the game-winning run in the midweek game vs. Columbia.

and further considering that the Ags were among the last 4 teams in the regional field...if A&M loses to Columbia...the maroon-n-white might not have made the postseason
_mpaul
AG
So he's getting nudged for not being aggressive enough? Lord help us!
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
So he's getting nudged for not being aggressive enough? Lord help us!

That's not what he said
W
AG
Sawyers appeared to have lost his 'touch' in the 3rd base coaching box. It happens in sports.

similar to win a golfer loses his putting stroke. Hits the short ones too hard...and leaves the long ones short
rallydawg
AG
Interesting observation Kemosabe...
agfan92
AG
This is a really important hire for Childress on many levels. RC's coaching strong points don't appear to lie with the offensive side of the game. I don't think he'd argue that. He needs a strong hire in that spot to balance out his own strengths/weaknesses and for the program to move to the next level in SEC ball.

He's also on his 3rd hire to run the offense. If this one doesn't get us "there" then the fingers are going to have to start pointing to RC. Exactly what "there" is can be debated, but most areas on the offense must get significantly better than the last few seasons. Fast.

Whether you're in the "RC is the real problem" camp or part of the "replace Sawyers and all will be well" crowd, this hire should ultimately prove you right or wrong.

Just my opinion, but in baseball terms I think the "Childress era" is now batting with a full count. He didn't strike out looking (Sawyers moved on). While he probably doesn't need a home run, I think it's going to take a solid extra base hit with this hire to move the program forward. Here's to hoping. Gig 'em!

[This message has been edited by agfan92 (edited 7/22/2014 3:23p).]
txag72
AG
Sawyer was a HUGE problem. How can a team not look at some of the things he did and say "Seriously, this is the baseball mind we have behind us?"
Kemo Sabe
So when is this new hire to replace sawyers going to take place? Is there some kind of holdup? Bolt and Taylor are the only two names that seem to be possibilities. Any other names out there?
Captain Pablo
AG
If there is a perception Childress is on the hot seat, yeah, I can see how it might be tough getting your first choice...

On the other hand, with Childress's favorable (to him) contract, and an AD who is more about managing expectations than winning championships, it seems unlikely that he is on the hot seat

We'll see what happens...

[This message has been edited by Captain Pablo (edited 7/29/2014 8:10a).]
mazag08
AG
Some of us were never on the Sawyers bandwagon. He never really did much of anything here.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.