Animated GIF of play at plate

6,733 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by BeatHellOutOfTU
pirmag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The ball was nowhere cöose to on time and he was blocking the plate
TexasRebel
AG
Jenna, he had the ball when the collision was made...that's fine.

Smith avoided the collision like he should, and got the plate. The umpire not admitting that he did not see the play was inexcuseable
ColoradoMooseHerd
pirmag

The ball was there before the runner
Zen Guerilla
I believe that y'all should be going for the sweep tomorrow. I think you will find Longhorn fans in general happy for the win, but no one is proud of the fact that he Horns gave up an 8-3 lead with our NCAA's best club ERA. Hopefully though the outcome of last nights game only makes both teams play their best baseball from here on out.

From the looks of today's game (Saturday 3-0 win by the Ags) y'all are already on the right track of putting that tough play in the past and moving forward. Sunday's game will be intense to say the least.
CharlieTheUnicorn
quote:
I think you will find Longhorn fans in general happy for the win, but no one is proud of the fact that he Horns gave up an 8-3 lead with our NCAA's best club ERA.

all of them except the dumbass girls behind us in 206.
AggieBB
AG
quote:
Never touches the plate with his left hand. It gets hooked by the catchers leg and comes up over the plate. Pay attention to the plate outline from the beginning and see where his hand ends up. It never touches the plate. It's in the air the entire time.
Very close, but the right call.

How long have you been completely blind?
bqce
AG
I think the sip catcher did a great job of selling the tag too. If an ump doesn't see the play and sees a defensive player react, it probably pushed him to call him out.

Why doesn't he ask for help on that? I've always asked another ump for help if I'm blocked from seeing the play.
TexasRebel
AG

what was blocking him?
CharlieTheUnicorn
bqce, i don't think this guy cared at all if he saw anything.
91AggieLawyer
AG
From Rebel's pic, it appears there is no way he can see the runner's hand, thus landman may have hit on the reason for the missed call. My guess is he didn't think the runner touched the plate or didn't see him before the tag. Sort of the Don Denkinger play in reverse.

What's upsetting about this play is that for years, umpires pretty much lived and died by "if the ball beats the runner, he's out," and vice versa. Not only did that not take place here, if you read the NCAA rule on base obstruction (not interference -- that's when the offensive player does something wrong) if he was prevented from touching the plate by a catcher WITHOUT THE BALL, then it should be obstruction and he should be awarded the base.

Umpires are going to miss calls, but not only is this miss very bad (any B12 umpire has too much experience to miss this), he should have had a feeling he missed it and got some help. A partner is there for a reason and sometimes he'll bail you out. He may have to take a week off for this or go without a tournament assignment.
bqce
AG
I agree. He sucked that whole play in every way. He didn't see it. He made the call based on the catcher's reaction. He failed to ask for help on a play he didn't see. Other than that, I'll give him an A+ for sip suckage.
Jelly Bean
what are you talking about "a play he didnt see"? He is staring right at the play the whole time
birddogman
BillE1976
AG
The catcher was straddling the baseline before he got the ball. He can't do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aggball2010
AG
quote:
He is staring right at the play the whole time

then he is obviously being paid off, or blind as a bat, and I cant figure it is the latter of the two...

The Girls in 206 were the worst fans of any school I have ever been around... Without a doubt...
bqce
AG
quote:
He is staring right at the play the whole time

Actually, no he's not. Check the video in this article:

http://www.kbtx.com/sports/headlines/44628062.html
ABATTBQ87
AG
when I umpire the plate in HS & LL games I try to get in the "Third Base extended" position. I want to see the plate, the runner, the catcher and the ball. I don't think that this umpire positioned himself correctly.
Adam87inSA
AG
We go for the *SWEEP* on Sunday.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
From Rebel's pic, it appears there is no way he can see the runner's hand, thus landman may have hit on the reason for the missed call. My guess is he didn't think the runner touched the plate or didn't see him before the tag.

That's actually not at all what landman said.

Landman said you can see that his hand never touched the bag, thus the umpire made the right call.
A Net Full of Jello
AG
quote:

when I umpire the plate in HS & LL games I try to get in the "Third Base extended" position. I want to see the plate, the runner, the catcher and the ball. I don't think that this umpire positioned himself correctly

This is what my main concern is. I cannot figure out why he is in the position that he is in. People can say that Arthur was in his way, but with where Arthur was standing, he shouldn't have been blocking the ump had he actually been in proper position to see the play.
AggieBand2004
AG
quote:
From Rebel's pic, it appears there is no way he can see the runner's hand, thus landman may have hit on the reason for the missed call. My guess is he didn't think the runner touched the plate or didn't see him before the tag

The most infuriating thing to me, is something that isn't being discussed here, and invalidates whether or not he could see Smith's hand... Rupp was holding the ball in his non-gloved hand when his glove made the tag on the runner, something that was directly in plain sight of the ump.
Look at the gif again, and you'll clearly see his right hand pulling the ball out away from the glove, as his left (gloved) hand reached down to tag the back.
EVA3
AG
Landman, where do you get your crack?
TXAggie2011
AG
From the Longhorn guy who out in right field, probably.
AG1996
land man

wrong son. look at the dirt fly just as his hand goes over the plate and then hits the dirt. Obviously no dirt on the plate, but as soon as his had slides off the plate dirt flys. No your theory holds true assuming his hand never hit the plate and went down right next to the plate, which is bs all the way. Way safe. you guys lost that game.
RaiderRed2008
If you look at the kbtx video its pretty easy to see why the call was missed...He was safe by a mile, but the A&M guy jumping around and the Umpire got tangled up a bit and right at the moment of the slide and when the catcher caught the ball, the UMP was trying to move the guy out of the way so he could see. It looks like the Ump was trying to get in good position and the A&M guy jumped infront of him....But he was safe by a mile.
TAMU1990
AG
He was safe
Aggie Jurist
AG
Ump is out of position. He can't even see the plate. What lousy mechanics.
Tag77
HOLDEN, M. D.

You want to edit your post? Kid is clearly out of the way of blind sip lover!
TexAgs1992
There is no question he was safe, and if he "was not", Rupp blocked the plate before he had the ball so Adam would have to run him over.
monarch
S
That is a freakin' bad call- Adam's hand is crossing the plate kicking up dust and Rupp is turning and also not in possession of the ball, both at the same time. The last frame shows the ball like an ice cream cone and Adam's hand is clearly on the plate.

That was a hose job.

"Get your licks in while you can..."
Michael Carroll
AG
Wow! That's not even close.
BeatHellOutOfTU
AG
the girls in 206 didnt do ****... they just screamed for their team... I tought yelling at them was a bit much.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.