NCAA pulls 7 postseason events out of North Carolina due to LGBT law

4,676 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jml2621
mikesyracuse1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
[url]http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/17533335/ncaa-pulls-7-championship-events-north-carolina
[/url]

Now Duke and UNC will have to travel more than five miles to play in the early round.

It will be interesting to see where they move the NCAA games that were scheduled in Greensboro

Mikesyracuse1

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - The NCAA has pulled seven championship events from North Carolina, including opening-weekend men's basketball tournament games, for the coming year due to a state law that some say can lead to discrimination against LGBT people.

In a news release Monday, the NCAA says the decision by its board of governors came "because of the cumulative actions taken by the state concerning civil rights protections."

Mikesyracuse1
bobinator
AG
Has the potential to really screw up the bracketing process, particularly for Duke, depending on where they add. I'm pretty surprised the NCAA went ahead and did it. Good for them.
AggieTFA06
AG
NCAA has no business shoving politics down our throat by picking certain issues while ignoring others. They should not be punishing the entire state.

F*** liberals and their political correctness
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
Method Man
Shouldn't the NCAA worry about athletics and leave the laws to the lawmakers?
GE
AG
quote:
Has the potential to really screw up the bracketing process, particularly for Duke, depending on where they add. I'm pretty surprised the NCAA went ahead and did it. Good for them.
Good for an intercollegiate athletics governing body to take a political stand on a fringe issue that impacts less than a percent of the population at the expense of its own members?
VanZandt92
quote:

Go back to your safe space Bob
Tango Mike
Is there any organization in America more ****ed up than the NCAA?

edit because I apparently don't know the difference between > and <
greg.w.h
AG
Yes: the universities that are the member institutions. Though this action is a response to the culture of the member institutions. Or at least trying not to be conservative at all.
94chem
When it comes time to make decisions that don't matter - i.e. don't impact D1 football or the NCAA tournament, the NCAA will let the delusional, coddled, paper tiger professors feel like they have some power by punishing schools over stuff like this. As I've said in another thread, NC didn't have an epidemic of people using the wrong potty, but they decided to make a law against it anyway. So what. Then, rich/white/liberal/elite/Yankees all of a sudden really care about North Carolina's potty laws. Now, because the fate of the free world, according to these elites, depends on punishing North Carolina for its transgressions, the NCAA throws its white/liberal/elitist professors a bone, recognizing a golden opportunity to get a bit of support from these liberals. If pulling a regional from Greensboro is what it takes to keep the plantation running, then so be it. Those people in Indianapolis are not as stupid as we think sometimes, and when they've got dupes like bobinator on their side, it validates their single goal - there's a harvest in January.
mdanyc03
AG
Stupidity all around if you ask me.

I can't feel sorry for the state of North Carolina. When you pass a law that is purely for grandstanding and has zero practical benefit, you can't get upset if others decide to do their own grandstanding in return.

TMartin
Love it. Finally we have found the sole reason for the existence of the most worthless orgaization in the U.S.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
Is there any organization in America more ****ed up than the NCAA?

edit because I apparently don't know the difference between > and <

NBA? nFL? Globally FIFA & the international Olympic committee?
bobinator
AG
quote:
Good for an intercollegiate athletics governing body to take a political stand on a fringe issue that impacts less than a percent of the population at the expense of its own members?

Sure. If they think it's important, then do something, and I don't think the number of people impacted is really relevant. And the NCAA wouldn't do anything "at the expense of it's own members" as a whole. If most schools were against this, it wouldn't have happened.

The NCAAs power is so ridiculously limited, that I say good on 'em whenever they try to take a stand somewhere.
bobinator
AG
Will be interesting to see where the NCAA moves it because it could really throw off the geography of the whole tournament. My guess is they'd try to keep it in a similar geographic area, but there's not really anywhere that close. Maybe Nashville?

My first guess would have been Louisville but it's so close to Indianapolis which is already a host site. Buffalo, Milwaukee and Indianapolis are so (relatively) close together already that they almost have to move it south.
94chem
I see the Final 4 headed to the Bristol Motor Speedway.
mikesyracuse1
quote:
Will be interesting to see where the NCAA moves it because it could really throw off the geography of the whole tournament. My guess is they'd try to keep it in a similar geographic area, but there's not really anywhere that close. Maybe Nashville?

My first guess would have been Louisville but it's so close to Indianapolis which is already a host site. Buffalo, Milwaukee and Indianapolis are so (relatively) close together already that they almost have to move it south.

Another option may be Atlanta.

Mikesyracuse1
bobinator
AG
The Hawks are at home, so unlikely. The Predators are on the road that weekend though, so that helps Nashville also.
GE
AG
quote:
quote:

Sure. If they think it's important, then do something, and I don't think the number of people impacted is really relevant. And the NCAA wouldn't do anything "at the expense of it's own members" as a whole. If most schools were against this, it wouldn't have happened.

The NCAAs power is so ridiculously limited, that I say good on 'em whenever they try to take a stand somewhere.
I feel pretty confident that more people in North Carolina and elsewhere will be directly negatively impacted by this decision than by the bathroom law. The fact that an organization involved in athletics is making a decision like this based on politics is an absolute joke.

Remember that time tu played Washington in China? The bathroom law in NC doesn't come close to the human rights issues they have over there, but I don't remember the NCAA batting an eye about that game. This is political posturing by the liberals in charge of the NCAA and nothing more. Pathetic.

FWIW I would have the same opinion if they took the other extreme and kept the NCAA tournament out of California a number of years ago when they first legalized gay marriage. Or California when it introduces gun laws in violation of the 2nd amendment.
OldAg68
AG
Stupid and absurd.

NCAA should stick with athletics.
Matsui
AG
The NCAA should be more worried about the rapes at Baylor.
mdanyc03
AG
nm
letters at random
Before the leftist values police made an issue of this, people went into the bathroom of the gender that they looked like, and nobody made an issue of it. But they wanted to wave their leftist values in people's faces and make it illegal for business owners to make their own choices about how to handle these issues, and then all hell broke lose. I just wish liberals would go back to acting like liberals instead of acting like the new civic secular religion enforcers.
bobinator
AG
Well if the NCAA is going to be liberal I say they go all the way and move Greensboro's games to Austin. Only seems fair.
gphid97
AG
quote:
The Hawks are at home, so unlikely. The Predators are on the road that weekend though, so that helps Nashville also.
The Atlanta games would be held in the Georgia Dome/Mercedes Benz Stadium rather than Philips Arena, so the Hawks schedule is irrelevant. With that being said Atlanta is typically more of a second or third weekend NCAA venue so yeah, it's unlikely.
monarch
S
Will be interesting to see where the NCAA moves it because it could really throw off the geography of the whole tournament...

Everything will now be played in San Francisco County.

Book it.
bobinator
AG
quote:
quote:
The Atlanta games would be held in the Georgia Dome/Mercedes Benz Stadium rather than Philips Arena, so the Hawks schedule is irrelevant. With that being said Atlanta is typically more of a second or third weekend NCAA venue so yeah, it's unlikely.
This is a weird statement. It's been the second/third weekend, so it's been in the Georgia Dome. We're talking about the first weekend, so it would be in Phillips Arena.

Law79
AG
Seems like a dangerous stance for the NCAA to take. They are supporting the idea that men who have female tendencies should be treated like women and have the right to use female restrooms. Using that logic, it seems the NCAA would have to allow those same men to participate in women's athletics. If that happens, then the whole idea of separate sports for men and women would be extremely blurred. This can't be good. The NCAA needs to stay out of it. Am I missing something?
VanZandt92
I'm so pissed I can't see straight. I live right by the Greensboro Coliseum.
Tom Hagen
AG
quote:
When you pass a law that is purely for grandstanding and has zero practical benefit, you can't get upset if others decide to do their own grandstanding in return.

The practical benefit is that the NC law protects the private property rights of businesses whose rights were violated by an ordinance passed by the city of Charlotte. There would have been no law passed by the state if Charlotte didn't act first.
DrZ
AG
I am not very knowledgeable on the specifics of the NC law that is at the center of the issue HB-2.
It appears to me to be the same as the Houston fight we had last year. It is really only about the bathrooms. In fact NC has broken them out as pre surgical and post surgical. Once the transgender has had their surgery then they are considered that sex. Prior to that they are considered "cross dressers" and must use the bathroom of sexual origin.
There are a lot of cities that fall in this category. Why is NC at the center of this.
gphid97
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
This is a weird statement. It's been the second/third weekend, so it's been in the Georgia Dome. We're talking about the first weekend, so it would be in Phillips Arena.

Except that Philips Arena has NEVER hosted a single NCAA tournament game in its history.
94chem
quote:
Am I missing something?
Read my first post. Follow the money.
bobinator
AG
quote:
Except that Philips Arena has NEVER hosted a single NCAA tournament game in its history.
This is true, but it's hosting a regional next year. So I'm guessing they could get it ready to host first weekend games this year if they needed to.
gphid97
AG
quote:
quote:
This is true, but it's hosting a regional next year. So I'm guessing they could get it ready to host first weekend games this year if they needed to.
Precisely. They also could have bothered to apply for a first round hosting spot at some point over the last twenty years or so, but apparently no one was inclined to do so. So I'm guessing that the powers that be here in Atlanta have deliberately opted to continue to host regionals and Final Fours, which was the point of my initial reply.
bobinator
AG
I don't understand what you're talking about anymore.

If Atlanta was interested in hosting the displaced Greensboro games this year, the venue the NCAA would be looking at would be Phillips Arena, which isn't available.

I don't understand what anything else has to do with it.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.