NCAA pulls 7 postseason events out of North Carolina due to LGBT law

4,675 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jml2621
gphid97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I don't understand what you're talking about anymore.

If Atlanta was interested in hosting the displaced Greensboro games this year, the venue the NCAA would be looking at would be Phillips Arena, which isn't available.

I don't understand what anything else has to do with it.

1 - If Atlanta was interested in hosting the Greensboro games, the better question would be why hadn't they ever applied to host first round games in the last two decades?

2 - Why do you assume that the only venue under consideration would be one that has never hosted an NCAA game (Philips) as opposed to the only existing venue in town that has?
bobinator
AG
Because they don't put first weekend sites in stadiums. They're all in basketball/hockey arenas. And Atlanta IS hosting a first weekend site next year, and it's hosting it in Phillips Arena.

gphid97
AG
quote:
Because they don't put first weekend sites in stadiums. They're all in basketball/hockey arenas. And Atlanta IS hosting a first weekend site next year, and it's hosting it in Phillips Arena.

Wrong again. Philips is hosting the regional in 2018, not first round games.

Furthermore, Indianapolis, Minneapolis, New Orleans, St. Louis and ATLANTA have all hosted first weekend games at football stadiums in the last 20 years.
bobinator
AG
Okay, it's the second weekend, but it's still at Phillips. Wasn't your whole point that they don't host games at Phillips?

And from a quick search I think the last football stadium to host a first weekend was in Minneapolis in 2009, and the NCAA has said they're phasing out stadiums for non-Final Four games.
gphid97
AG
quote:
Okay, it's the second weekend, but it's still at Phillips. Wasn't your whole point that they don't host games at Phillips?

And from a quick search I think the last football stadium to host a first weekend was in Minneapolis in 2009, and the NCAA has said they're phasing out stadiums for non-Final Four games.
No, my point from the onset has been that there has not been interest in hosting first round games in Atlanta. Again, it's a second and third weekend NCAA town. Considering that it has been since before Y2K since the city has done so that isn't going to suddenly change because Greensboro lost their games.
bobinator
AG
This might be the most pointless argument I've ever been in, and I pride myself on pointless arguments. We both agree that Atlanta is out, but for different reasons that don't really matter. I suppose it's helped pass the time this week though.
mdanyc03
AG
quote:
quote:
When you pass a law that is purely for grandstanding and has zero practical benefit, you can't get upset if others decide to do their own grandstanding in return.

The practical benefit is that the NC law protects the private property rights of businesses whose rights were violated by an ordinance passed by the city of Charlotte. There would have been no law passed by the state if Charlotte didn't act first.
The law also dictates what bathrooms transgenders (or cross dressers or whatever you want to call them) can use in public (state) bathrooms.

A solution in search of a problem, the only intention was to be symbolic/ provocative, and they got what they were asking for.

Now, to be clear, all sides are completely stupid in this. But that includes the state of North Carolina too.

Saying "here would have been no law passed by the state if Charlotte didn't act first" is pretty much like when my 7 year old hits his sister and then says "she started it."
mikesyracuse1
quote:
This might be the most pointless argument I've ever been in, and I pride myself on pointless arguments. We both agree that Atlanta is out, but for different reasons that don't really matter. I suppose it's helped pass the time this week though.
If it goes to Atlanta and in the Dome. I may buy Bobinator a ticket, but only if he uses the girls bathroom :-)

mikesyracuse1
Spiritofaggieland
AG
quote:
quote:
Has the potential to really screw up the bracketing process, particularly for Duke, depending on where they add. I'm pretty surprised the NCAA went ahead and did it. Good for them.

Go back to your safe space Bob
Duke would prefer to play in the Meadowlands, anyway.
Spiritofaggieland
AG
quote:
quote:
If it goes to Atlanta and in the Dome. I may buy Bobinator a ticket, but only if he uses the girls bathroom :-)

mikesyracuse1

The ACCT will be in Atlanta.

McCrory is an idiot. The NBA and NCAA are not publicly funded. They can do what they want.

A same sex assault in a bathroom is infinitely more likely than a trann-y attack. The second part of HB2 is the most problematic, because it defines gender...

...and what do you do with transgender athletes under 9anti)hormone therapy who transition to a woman's sport in 1 year (current NCAA recommendation).

Now let's see the NCAA get some cujones and take down a banner or two from UNC, who has destroyed whatever is left of the notion of student-athlete.
bobinator
AG
Hell I'll take that deal. Unless the Ags are playing somewhere else.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
Remember that time tu played Washington in China? The bathroom law in NC doesn't come close to the human rights issues they have over there, but I don't remember the NCAA batting an eye about that game. This is political posturing by the liberals in charge of the NCAA and nothing more. Pathetic.
1) There was nothing the NCAA could do about the Longhorns playing in China.

2) I can just as easily call the mistake the NCAA not batting an eye at China rather than the NCAA batting an eye at North Carolina. You've not put forth a dispositive argument, here.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
Seems like a dangerous stance for the NCAA to take. They are supporting the idea that men who have female tendencies should be treated like women and have the right to use female restrooms. Using that logic, it seems the NCAA would have to allow those same men to participate in women's athletics. If that happens, then the whole idea of separate sports for men and women would be extremely blurred. This can't be good. The NCAA needs to stay out of it. Am I missing something?
You're missing the "magnitude of harm" part of the rule-making/decision-making equation. Or at least not addressing it here in this post.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:
When you pass a law that is purely for grandstanding and has zero practical benefit, you can't get upset if others decide to do their own grandstanding in return.

The practical benefit is that the NC law protects the private property rights of businesses whose rights were violated by an ordinance passed by the city of Charlotte. There would have been no law passed by the state if Charlotte didn't act first.
The part of the law that had to do with Charlotte was just one part of a larger law. It was a law passed by social conservatives, and its disingenuous to say otherwise. Read the law, read the legislative transcripts, etc. and it is undeniable this was a social-bill, and not about property rights.

I'm not even saying there is anything wrong with that. Just say "I'm a social conservative" and support the law and then get on with things. Don't hide under false justifications.

Further, governments impede on the full autonomy of property rights all the time. Including the North Carolina state legislature.

Frankie T
My favorite part was when you used critical thinking and advance debate skill to render the mention of the city ordinance meaningless.
jml2621
quote:
quote:
quote:

The part of the law that had to do with Charlotte was just one part of a larger law. It was a law passed by social conservatives, and its disingenuous to say otherwise. Read the law, read the legislative transcripts, etc. and it is undeniable this was a social-bill, and not about property rights.

I'm not even saying there is anything wrong with that. Just say "I'm a social conservative" and support the law and then get on with things. Don't hide under false justifications.

Further, governments impede on the full autonomy of property rights all the time. Including the North Carolina state legislature.

It's moot anyway, because the NCAA is not a state run organization.

IMO, local control, not state or Federal should be dominant in property rights disputes. If you don't like where you are, then ******* MOVE! ...or make your voice heard at meetings, hold people accountable, vote for folks who will change the law. A group of citizens gathered at meetings to keep Blinn out of College Station and the Bypass area. It worked.

If you like the Vegas lifestyle, then stay in Vegas, If you like the family atmosphere of College Station stay or move back. If you Austin, 6th Street, and SXSW, then go for it. US of freakin' A...not the US Collection of Taliban States.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.