Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

American Cheese for a soup recipe

1,454 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by sanitariex
frenchtoast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
One of my favorite breweries has a green chile beer cheese soup that I love, and I managed to get the recipe from one of the servers before they shut down operations late last year. It's actually a very simple recipe, and the cheese ingredient is American cheese. Even though my first thought is "ewww... Kraft singles", I assume that its creamy meltiness is a big factor in why the recipe works.

So, two questions:

1. Where does one go to buy American cheese in largish quantities? None of the grocery stores near me carry anything but the sliced singles and Velveeta (which from my research is pretty smilier to American cheese).

2. Are there any decent cheeses to substitute? I'd honestly like to try cheddar instead, but don't think it would melt as well.

LPHA
AG
https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/2379170
frenchtoast
I had totally forgotten about that thread. Can't believe it's up to 19 pages. I'll have to set aside some time to dive into it. Thanks.
12thMan9
AG
frenchtoast said:

One of my favorite breweries has a green chile beer cheese soup that I love, and I managed to get the recipe from one of the servers before they shut down operations late last year. It's actually a very simple recipe, and the cheese ingredient is American cheese. Even though my first thought is "ewww... Kraft singles", I assume that its creamy meltiness is a big factor in why the recipe works.

So, two questions:

1. Where does one go to buy American cheese in largish quantities? None of the grocery stores near me carry anything but the sliced singles and Velveeta (which from my research is pretty smilier to American cheese).

2. Are there any decent cheeses to substitute? I'd honestly like to try cheddar instead, but don't think it would melt as well.

Where the heck do you live? You can buy foot long bricks of cheese at HEB, Randall's/Tom Thumb, Kroger in the deli dept.
Ronnie '88
frenchtoast
An American cheese desert, apparently
Tanker123
Deli sections in grocery stores might have American Cheese.
FIDO*98*
AG
If you don't have a deli that will cut off a big chunk of American cheese, just buy Kraft Deluxe. It's packaged as slices but the slices aren't wrapped and should be much easier to use and it's a better quality than the singles
JJWAGGIE
AG
recipe?
CrawfordAg
AG
This
B-1 83
AG
I thought here was a distinct difference between what a deli will whack off the block vs the "cheese food type product" they put out in singles.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
rafkennel
rafkennel
H-E-B sells American cheese in 16oz blocks in the cheese section. It's HEB brand.
sanitariex
AG
Where's this soup recipe?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.