Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Summer Sausage

1,718 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by bularry
humperdink
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mr grandpa loved a Super Bowl boards and summer sausage. I do a family board each year with prizes inspired by my late grandpa. What is your favorite retail summer sausage?

Grandpa would've gone for the cheapest, but his discipline and sacrifice provides for multiple generations. So, cheap will be appreciated and high quality will be enjoyed.
87AustinAg
AG
Usingers
Available at Central Market Deli Counter
dccbq80
AG
Any flavor from Bellville Meat Market.
CrawfordAg
AG
HEB carries Bellville at times ; however, when out I buy the HEB jap n cheese Texas heritage brand and it's pretty good. Their jalapeno has a little bite to it and when placed in their jalapeno saltines it's hard to beat.

Bigballin
AG
I've been happy with Sovacek's and hate to say, Bucee's can be pretty good. Diamond A out of Dime Box has decent summer sausage as well.

Haven't tried the HEB brand and going to give it a try.
JYDog90
AG
CrawfordAg said:

HEB carries Bellville at times ; however, when out I buy the HEB jap n cheese Texas heritage brand and it's pretty good. Their jalapeno has a little bite to it and when placed in their jalapeno saltines it's hard to beat.

I've never noticed the jalapeƱo saltines. I bet they'd be good either way heb's post oak pimento cheese
HtownAg92
AG
Bigballin said:

I've been happy with Sovacek's and hate to say, Bucee's can be pretty good. Diamond A out of Dime Box has decent summer sausage as well.

Haven't tried the HEB brand and going to give it a try.
Slovacek's is pretty solid. Prasek's too.

No need to hate on Buc-ee's. Their summer sausage and cheese packs are perfect to throw in the cooler for a fishing trip or road trip snack.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Readfield's Jalapeno Cheese is by far the best I've found at local HEBs (in CS, not sure how wide of an area Readfield's covers).

Their (well, Ruffino's) jalapeno cheese smoke sausage is also my favorite smoke sausage I can find around here.
Garrelli 5000
AG
The Prasek's jalapeno cheddar at HEB is good.

My favorite is probably Opa's jalapeno cheddar. I've had it more the Prasek's (only recently found it) but you can't go wrong w/either.
Take the trash out staff.
Slicer97
AG
dccbq80 said:

I avoid that place as much as possible because if I go in, I'm guaranteed to leave at least $150 poorer.
HtownAg92
AG
I know we are talking about Houston area, but want to add an old school road trip stop:

Robertson's in Salado

Theirs was my first experience with summer sausage 50 years ago, visiting my favorite cousins and getting ready to float the creek. My aunt made summer sausage sandwiches with Sandwich Spread (another old school product) and white bread, washed down with Big Red. Great memories for a city kid.
bularry
dccbq80 said:

I like Bellville the best, too. I also like Prasek's
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.