Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Best store-bought Picante or Salsa?

15,491 Views | 111 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by MichaelJ
tx4guns
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The NB Arlan's doesn't carry Gunslinger. Spec's does.
RightWingConspirator
AG
Mateo's Hot is good tasting, but I really don't find it hot at all. This is my go-to store bought salsa because I've not found anything better as of yet.
Sugar City Ag
AG
tx4guns said:

Gunslinger Salsa. It's in Spec's. It's my brand, so if you haven't tried it, give it a shot and support an Aggie owned company. Medium hot, fire roasted goodness. It pretty much beats every salsa on the shelf, especially if you like a little smoke. I'm doing a demo tomorrow at the College Station Spec's from 1-4PM if anyone wants to swing by and try it.
I picked some up yesterday - outstanding!
tx4guns
AG
Thank you!
William Larue Weller
AG
Garrelli 5000 said:

I'll give the Gunslinger a shot.

That said my go-to for a few years now is Kylito's.

This stuff has some serious kick to it, very good.
AustinCountyAg
tx4guns said:

It's in most Spec's with delis. If it's not there ask the manager to bring it in, please.
random question, but do you happen to know a Mark Webb?
Sazerac
AG
No Gunslinger at Specs Memorial / dairy Ashford
tx4guns
AG
Don't know him.
tx4guns
AG
You can check store availability here. They let shelves go empty pretty often before stocking up again. I have zero control over which stores carry it or when they restock.

https://specsonline.com/shop/foods/salsas-spreads-sauces/salsa-gunslinger-locked-and-loaded-salsa/
Sazerac
AG
Cool. I'll make it a point to find.
Making any green sauces?
aTm_bomb
AG
JYDog90 said:

This but I prefer the Hatch chili salsa they make. Green label I believe.
Thriller
AG
Is there a store option that is comparable to Torchy's Roja Salsa? My family likes many different styles but this is one that most agree upon.
Texker
AG
tx4guns said:

It's in most Spec's with delis. If it's not there ask the manager to bring it in, please.
Not in Rowlett store last time I checked so will ask next time. Just a note that the homepage needs an edit as there's a text overrun, at least on my screen. Looking forward to trying your salsa. Congrats on your success to date!
showtime
AG
ftworthag02 said:

my wife (teacher) was given a bottle of citas salsa that was purchased at central market. I just tried to look it up on central markets site and its not showing up. Here's the company site:
https://www.citassalsa.com/

Very good!

Cita's is great. In the refrigerated section at Central Market. Also carries bulk sizes and a larger variety at the storefront.
Texker
AG
Texker said:

tx4guns said:

Not in Rowlett store last time I checked so will ask next time.
Put in a request yesterday at the Rowlett Spec's. Grocery manager hadn't arrived but the cashier was helpful. She wrote down the product name and then I showed her the logo just so she'd have a visual reference. Her response was awesome, something along the lines of "oh man, I'd buy it just because of the logo!"

I'll check back next time I'm there.

EDIT: I'll call the grocery manager in the next day or two.
swampstander
AG
I like this stuff drizzled on my tacos, enchiladas, tamales etc and as an ingredient in my Mexican shrimp cocktail.
tx4guns
AG
Thank you! Hope they get it soon!

We will be adding a mild eventually, but we need to be in more stores first. No plans for a green salsa right now, but never say never.
SoTxAg
AG
Author is from north carolina so take it fwiw.

https://www.expressnews.com/food/article/best-salsa-san-antonio-grocery-store-18667065.php
Mustang1
AG
tx4guns said:

You can check store availability here. They let shelves go empty pretty often before stocking up again. I have zero control over which stores carry it or when they restock.

https://specsonline.com/shop/foods/salsas-spreads-sauces/salsa-gunslinger-locked-and-loaded-salsa/

I cleared out the shelf at Specs First Colony on the lunch hour today. Good stuff!
Sugar City Ag
AG
Mustang1 said:

tx4guns said:

I cleared out the shelf at Specs First Colony on the lunch hour today. Good stuff!

I left two jars for you there on Saturday!
Broncos
HEB carries Taco Deli salsas.

The Creamy Jalapeño is delicious. The salsas are also legit.
aggiedata
AG
Found it at the big Specs on Smith Street

Bulldog73
AG
None up in Waco area yet. A
Texker
AG
Rowlett is useless.
G Martin 87
AG
Another vote for Mateo's, but I will make a point of picking up some Gunslinger on our next trip to Texas.
aggiedata
AG
Gunslinger review: After our fajita fest yesterday, I really like it. It has the fire roasted taste with a hint of heat that doesn't burn.

It's a hit at our house.
Hwy30East
I picked up some HEB Serrano salsa over the weekend since I saw it on sale. Very flavorful with a kick! My daughter and I both liked it, but it really jolted her and she couldn't talk for a couple of minutes. Lol! Would buy again.
SpiderDude
AG

This is now available at HEB...at least in the greater Austin area. It's the best creamy jalapeno that I've every had personally and I was on a mission recently to find that best available version in stores and this is it by a mile!!!
HTownAg98
I love that stuff, but it packs a serious punch.
Jock 07
AG
JYDog90 said:

My choice living in CO not having access to a lot of the brands y'all do back home.
Jock 07
AG
Also, I've come to realize I need to stop buying every salsa coming out of TX that I find here, like this one, cause I'm almost always disappointed.
TXAG 05
AG
Jock 07 said:

Also, I've come to realize I need to stop buying every salsa coming out of TX that I find here, like this one, cause I'm almost always disappointed.

Looks like you hated it
Jock 07
AG
TXAG 05 said:

Jock 07 said:

Looks like you hated it

I mean, I'm not gonna let it go to waste. Starving kids and ***** Plus that's been in the fridge for at least a month. If that was Mateo's probably wouldn't have lasted a week.
AggieBarstool
Rick's Addiction, if I'm looking for salsa.

Tobasco's Chipotle variant if I want hot sauce.
philevans
AG
julios mild green or red salsa, refrigerator.
TXlic GIGM61

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.