Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Pressure Cooker Pork Chile Verde

18,011 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 88Warrior
schmendeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well seasoning to taste is a part of the recipe. If properly salted, it's hard for anything to be "bland".
investorAg83
AG
Robert C. Christian said:

investorAg83 said:

schmendeler said:

I'm having a hard time imagining someone following the recipe and finding it bland.

For east coast people, it may have enough chili spice to think it has good flavor. For me, it lacked spice and depth. More serranos and some diced green chilis helped but the spice still lacked.

So in your opinion is spicy synonymous with flavorful? I agree that this registered maybe a 1 on spicy but, to me, it still has good flavor.

Spicy = flavor...no

But when the dish is practically nothing but peppers and spices and I get nothing but cumin and little bit of cilantro, yes...I think the dish lacks flavor.

I've made something similar before with most of the same ingredients and it had WAY more flavors shine through.
schmendeler
AG
Keep in mind we're talking about a recipe intended to be easily done on a weeknight to be enjoyed within an hour or so. I think it's damn good for that purpose.
investorAg83
AG
schmendeler said:

Keep in mind we're talking about a recipe intended to be easily done on a weeknight to be enjoyed within an hour or so. I think it's damn good for that purpose.

No doubt. Just add some of Trader Joe's dragon sauce to your bowl and you'd be good to go.

https://www.popsugar.com/family/photo-gallery/44547987/image/44547991/Green-Dragon-Hot-Sauce-3
fav13andac1)c
AG
schmendeler said:

Well seasoning to taste is a part of the recipe. If properly salted, it's hard for anything to be "bland".
Oh absolutely. I was only saying if it tastes bland, you didn't add "salt to taste."
schmendeler
Txmoe
AG
aTm_bomb said:

I personally think the pressure cooker version lacks the depth of the Dutch oven method. Low and slow in the oven made this one of my favorite things to cook.

Curious because I want to make this in my Dutch oven. Did you use the recipe in the OP or this one:
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/01/chile-verde-with-pork-recipe.html
HTownAg98
I made it on the stovetop without changing any of the ingredients. Worked just fine.
aTm_bomb
AG
Yes that one.... I cut back on the chicken broth too bc it was a little thinner than I like.
Troy91
AG
Made this recipe Sunday as the first meal in the Instapot.

It came out great. I will probably use jalapenos instead of serranos as it was lacking in heat. The flavor was awesome for such a short cook time.

Thanks for the recommendation.
ORAggieFan
Serranos are typically hotter than jalapeos.
Troy91
AG
Thanks for the info. Then, I will have to add another serrano.
Txmoe
AG
Finally made the dutch oven version of this dish over the weekend and it was terrific. An amazing depth of flavor with the various peppers and tomatillos. Admittedly, I did question whether the juice was going to be worth the squeeze when I was elbows-deep in blistering and peeling peppers but the prep was definitely worth it.

Re: Kenji's recipe, you need to use half or a third of the salt his recipe calls for, and no chicken broth is needed. Will make again but will add more heat from additional jalapenos or serranos; it was pretty mild, even for a couple of lightweights like us.
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
I have a 8-1/2 lb bone-in pork butt in the freezer that I got on sale at H-E-B a while back for like 80 cents a lb. I'm going camping with a large group this weekend and want to cook a variety of this dish in my large dutch oven over a fire. The pressure cooker and dutch oven recipes appear to be drastically different in a few areas:

• Number of tomatillos (4 for pressure cooker vs. 15 for dutch oven)
  • Pressure cooker has fish sauce while dutch oven version doesn't
  • Dutch oven version has chicken stock while pressure cooker version does not
  • 1/2 cup cilantro vs. 2 cups

Any suggestions on which version to use and how I can tweak it to get best results?
aTm_bomb
AG
Dutch oven would require more liquid due to evaporation whereas pressure cooker loses no liquid because it is sealed. That is the reason for more broth and tomatillos.

Dutch oven creates more char and crispyness which creates umami... Fish sauce is designed to recreate that.
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
Excellent- thanks! I hope it is a success!
aTm_bomb
AG
Happy to help. Just allow for plenty of time since you will be doing over a fire and not in an enclosed oven environment. I find mine in the oven is a 4-5 hour cook with lid slightly ajar.

Since your heat source will be below on a fire, you might want to keep elevated above coals so its not like cooking on a stovetop. Also, i find start with a little less broth to start and add if you find its not the consistency you would like.
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
I ended up making the dutch oven version Easter weekend over a campfire. I did cube the pork butt and pre-make the "salsa" (which I may say is very good with tortilla chips) at the house before hand. Everything can't out great and I got great reviews! I will say it was a little heavy on the liquid so I'll significantly reduce or eliminate the chicken broth next time.
CoolaidWade
AG
Made it tonight. Solid!

I followed the directions with no changes and it came out just like the video. So pretty bulletproof recipe although you may run into some hotter then usual serranos and it could pack some heat with two of them. Ours was just perfect. You really never know how hot your serranos are going to be until you cook with them.

My second meal with our new instantpot and so far we like it. The first one was a 4 lb whole chicken which cooked in 25 minutes.
Eliminatus
AG
Went ahead and made a pot tonight on the recs here.

Tried it afterwards and it was ok to good. But definitely not great. Feeling rather underwhelmed, I was cleaning up and noticed the unused bottle of fish sauce on the counter. I had completely forgotten it. Oops. Will try again very soon.

Very easy to make but will try chicken next time. Pork is awesome but I HATE trimming pork butts. Almost a deal breaker for me completely. Almost....
fav13andac1)c
AG
Every time I hear someone use descriptor words like "bland" or "underwhelming" when referring to this dish I immediately think "not enough salt." This dish is anything but bland.
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
Made this a few weeks ago but I did it in the crock pot. It was great.
The Milkman
AG
So I'm making a crock pot version right now to eat tonight that is kind of a blend of the related seriouseats recipes.

I did a bunch of chicken in the crock pot last night, shredded it, and saved it for today. Then today on my lunch break I roasted poblanos, serranos, jalapenos, anaheim, and tomatillos. Blended them with a little veg oil, garlic and plenty of cilantro. Added that mixture with some fish sauce back to the shredded chicken in the crock pot with onions, salt, pepper, cumin and chicken stock to thin it out.

Lets see how it turns out!
The Milkman
AG
In case you were wondering it was fantastic.
fav13andac1)c
AG
In light of the cooler weather in DFW, I'm making the chicken version of this recipe this week
HTownAg98
I made this tonight, because cold rainy weather is the perfect time to make this. The one change I did was to make this with chicken instead of pork. So I took a 4.5 pound chicken, cut off the wings and threw them into the pressure cooker on top of all the peppers and onion. I skinned the thighs and drumsticks, and put them in. Then I boned out and skinned the breast meat and fillet, chopped it up into bite sized pieces; and reserved the white meat for later. I put the rest of the skinned carcass into the pot. Clamped down the lid, and let it cook under pressure for 25 minutes. I removed the dark meat and shredded it, removed the wings and carcass, and blitzed the vegetables. Brought everything to a simmer, then added the white meat to gently poach until it was just done. Threw in the dark meat and cilantro, adjusted the salt, and served. The pork version is very good. The chicken version might be better.
Old Town Ag
AG
Pro tip - I grill my pork to add char and add it after pressure cooking veggies. Then cook longer in pressure cooker to tenderize the meat
Txmoe
AG
One of my favorite all-time recipes! My favorite way to use it is to make New Mexico-style stacked green chili enchiladas.
SpiderDude
AG
I'm too lazy when it comes to green chili pork. I just made it today. Literally just season and sear the pork in a cast iron pan until well browned. Add to instant pot (or slow cooker). Cover with a large jar of Herdez Salsa Verde. I had some old homemade Pico ~1c that was about to be tossed so I threw that in. Added half a large white onion finely diced and a handful of chopped cilantro ~1c. Slow cooked all day. Stirred occasionally. That's it. Pork is fall off the bone tender.

After we ate what we wanted in tacos I removed the pork for leftovers. There's a sizeable amount of sauce packed with all that flavor (pork fat)... so what I did with that was added a cup+ of white rice and a can of black beans. Put it on the rice setting to cook. The rice and beans absorb all that good stuff and now you've got "bonus" leftovers.
SpiderDude
AG
In case you're wondering I left the rice and beans to natural release the pressure vs. manual release. The rice was perfect. Not over or under cooked. There wasn't any excess fluid in the end... it was all in the rice and beans. That **** is seriously legit. I ate 2 small bowls even though I'd already filled up on tacos. Possibly the best "easy" meal I've ever done.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Making this as we speak
fav13andac1)c
AG
HTownAg98 said:

I made this tonight, because cold rainy weather is the perfect time to make this. The one change I did was to make this with chicken instead of pork. So I took a 4.5 pound chicken, cut off the wings and threw them into the pressure cooker on top of all the peppers and onion. I skinned the thighs and drumsticks, and put them in. Then I boned out and skinned the breast meat and fillet, chopped it up into bite sized pieces; and reserved the white meat for later. I put the rest of the skinned carcass into the pot. Clamped down the lid, and let it cook under pressure for 25 minutes. I removed the dark meat and shredded it, removed the wings and carcass, and blitzed the vegetables. Brought everything to a simmer, then added the white meat to gently poach until it was just done. Threw in the dark meat and cilantro, adjusted the salt, and served. The pork version is very good. The chicken version might be better.
I liked the idea of breaking down the chicken to cook the breasts separately. Worked really well and provided a nice textural contrast between the chunks of chicken breast and the tender bites of dark meat. Thanks!
HTownAg98
I did it mainly to keep the white meat from getting tough and stringy.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Totally, which that worked really well. The texture was a nice added bonus.
OasisMan
AG
made this last wkd for the 1st time

deseeded 2 jalapenos (wife/kids) -- felt like there was zero heat
would add more salt next time

served with tortillas/cilantro/lime + rice + borracho beans

everyone loved it
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.