Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Hebert's Cajun Pot Roast

13,769 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Tailgate88
AggieChemist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have taken to seasoning my pot roasts liberally with Tony Chachere's... but no, it's not the same.
DiskoTroop
Actually had one tonight for Easter supper. It was fine if your neighbors wife can't cook real well like my neighbor but my wife does a whole hell of a lot better starting with plain raw roast.
Tailgate88
AG
I just bought a 3 lb chuck roast, coated it in the spice mix Max posted above, seared it on all sides, chopped up a red onion and threw it in the crock pot with a 1/2 bottle of Shiner Bock. Going to cook it on low until it falls apart, make a gravy with the drippings, and fork it all like with pulled pork. Then eat it on a bun with onions, pickles, and of course.... extra spice! Let's see if it can really be that simple! It's in the crock pot now...

Edit: Massive fail. Don't do that. Will try next weekend again with the recipe below. I have made Gumbo Pages RB&R and Jambalaya and they are great so I am optimistic. I'm sure it will be delicious but the question remains if it will resemble Hebert's.
AggieFlyboy
AG
I have made this recipe multiple times and it never fails.
https://www.gumbopages.com/food/roast-beef.html
Tailgate88
AG
I made the GumboPages recipe that AggieFlyBoy posted above this past Sunday. I almost didn't because I got a late start but I decided even if I had to take a few shortcuts it would at least tell me whether it was going to get close to Heberts. Overall, it was fantastic. Three things I'll do differently next time and it will be verrrrry close to Heberts:

1) It would have been better if I had taken the time to make the beef stock the day before as recommended,
2) It needed more cajun spice mix added. A tablespoon is not enough, and I cooked a 4lb roast (it was the biggest one at HEB) instead of a 5-6 pound roast as the recipe calls for.
3) It needed another hour or two of simmering to get a little more tender.

I also am a little unclear on the role of salt pork. I've never worked with hit before, and i wasn't clear on whether it was the meat or fat part to stick down in the slits, so I did a little of both. I'm not sure how much difference that makes anyway. It's hard to cut the fat into "1/4 inch strips" so next time I'll freeze it partially so it's easier to slice.

The biggest dutch oven I have barely fit the roast, so I browned it first and set it aside. Then I added the spices, marrow bones, 3/4 bottle of Cabernet and an equal amount Kitchen Essentials beef stock. It simmered for four hours, and I flipped the roast twice. I set it aside and reduced the liquid by half, then strained it, shredded the beef and recombined.

It was dang good and the closest thing I've had to Heberts... but like I said next time I'm going to go all in and see if I can improve on it even more.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.