Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Queso!!

16,644 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by Aggiehunter34
FIDO*98*
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I didn't think it was racist, however, it is an entirely meaningless statement. As if somehow being from Mexico (or wherever) automatically makes you a great cook or an authority on your native cuisine. News flash! There are shiddy cooks in Mexico, Italy, China, India, Spain, France, etc. and they probably outnumber the good ones.
PseudonymK
AG
It's based with a white easy melt. I don't know the rest.
PseudonymK
AG
yeah, fido i get that. But cooking with love from the natural knowledge you get from your culture means more to me.

Oh and that above comment was for the Freebirds thing.
chrisocker
AG
The wife used breakfast sausage once instead of ground beef. I could feel my arteries clogging even more with every delicious dip of the chip.
Nougat
The average Mexican is going to be better at cooking traditional Mexican dishes than non-Mexicans.

Whether or not queso is a traditional Mexican dish is another argument.

Now queso fundido.........
terradactylexpress
There is no argument about queso being a traditional Mexican dish
PseudonymK
AG
oh goodness...it's melted cheese!!!!!
65532ag
What does ones race have to do with food?
RustyBoltz
AG
I'll post mine when I get home because I don't want to type it out right now but it is velvetta based but my major additions are
1/2 can no bean wolf chili
1/2 or 2/3 lb browned sausage

Mom Class of '03,'05 and '09
S
HEY, you food board buttholes need to stop dumping on Keesha...if she likes melted limburger salsa SO WHAT!

This isn't the general board YET!
HTownAg98
I just want to know how she gets queso fresco to melt. I've put it under a ripping hot broiler before, and it barely melts before it burns.
PseudonymK
AG
Queso blanco is the cheese that doesn't melt, queso fresco will turn into creamy goodness.
PseudonymK
AG
I did a little googling. I usually don't but since you seem adamant about proving me wrong.

http://www.ifood.tv/network/queso_fresco_dip
AustinAgChef
quote:
The essential ingredient, i.e. queso fresco is a Mexican white creamy cheese, often obtained from raw milk. However, the cheese is also popular in US, where it is obtained from pasteurized milk due to the health risks associated with the bacteria present in raw milk. The resultant American cheese is slightly different from the Mexican variant in terms of melting ability, with the former having more melting capability than the latter.

Unless you are going to Mexico to get your queso fresco the stuff made here doesn't quite melt. Look, nobody is trying to be a food snob here and nobody is trying to "prove you wrong". We are simply pointing out that queso fresco isn't the best choice of cheese to use for queso. What's so bad about that? Also, queso blanco is similar to queso fresco.

[This message has been edited by AustinAgChef (edited 10/31/2011 6:02p).]
PseudonymK
AG
It was from a Mexican grocery store. On Texas Ave, across from the Family Dollar.
FIDO*98*
AG
Not a single one of those recipes in your "proof source" even resembles the restaurant style queso we are talking about here. They all use the queso fresco as an accompanying ingredient and not as the melted base cheese. Seriously...just give it up
AustinAgChef
It sounds like you are the one trying to prove people wrong. It isn't necessary to tell us where you get your cheese from and chances are that Mexican grocery store isn't selling true queso fresco that is made from raw cows milk.
PseudonymK
AG
quote:
Post your favorite queso recipes
Mine is simple but effective

I just answered the original question. It's a matter of personal taste.
Tanya 93
Good lord

It's just melted cheese dip.

Why the **** is it so important to prove her wrong on WHAT SHE LIKES?
senorchipotle
AG
i like to add a half a cup or so of creme fraiche and some creme of celery to my queso, makes it taste fantabulous. sadly though, the SO likes rotel added, so it doesn't taste as good as it should, unless i make it when she's not around.
PseudonymK
AG
cream of celery? what kind of taste does it give the dip?

Do you still add tomatoes, chilies, or peppers?
investorAg83
AG
I add fresh diced celery to mine. Can't really describe the flavor that it gives...other than it's delicious.
TXAG 05
AG
quote:
Am I the only one that found this a bit racist?
Probably. Not sure why you thought it was racist to begin with.

quote:
I have a hard time letting someone give out incorrect information when it comes to food and cooking and will always give out better/correct information when needed

If her method works, is it really wrong? Get over yourself
fightintxaggie10
AG
1/2 Queso blanco easy melt stick

Entire package of "Salsa Fresca" in one of those combination guac/salsa things at HEB (drain a some of the liquid out, but not all).

^Delicious. And you can tweek this slightly and its really hard to mess up. Its freaking awesome.
TXAgChad04
Green onions/chives are a nice addition to any queso, as well as venison pan sausage...
investorAg83
AG
Here's my recipe (doesn't use the Easy Melt since I can't find it anywhere)

1 block Velveeta
1 block of regular American
4 cans Rotel
1 bunch diced cilantro
2 bunches diced green onions
7-10 diced celery stalks
juice of 2 limes

You can cut it with a bit of milk if necessary (but it probably isn't).

Combine everything, heat, accept the praises from everyone.
Gator2_01
AG
I use a bechamel sauce for my base:

2 T butter
2 T flour -> make a rouge

mix in 1 C milk

Simmer bechamel until it thickens and then fold in your desired cheese(s)

I typically will use a mixture of queso fresco and jack cheeses.

Once cheeses are melted I'll mix in a mixture of sauteed garlic, onions, and peppers along with cumin and sausage (if desired). Once it's off the heat I then mix in some cilantro and tomato.

Yum.

AG
So just came across this, kinda intriguing. Have not tried it, but might this week.

8 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese (or a mix of cheddar and pepper Jack—see note), grated on large holes of a box grater
1 tablespoon corn starch
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
2 teaspoons Franks Red Hot or other hot sauce

Procedure

Add cheese and cornstarch to large bowl. Toss to combine. Transfer to medium saucepan. Add 1 cup evaporated milk and hot sauce. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly with whisk until melted, bubbly, and thickened (about 5 minutes). Mixture will look thin and grainy at first but will thicken and come together after heating. Thin to desired consistency with additional evaporated milk. Serve immediately with fries, tortilla chips, burgers, or hot dogs.
IFeelLikeLarryDavid
quote:
8 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese (or a mix of cheddar and pepper Jack—see note), grated on large holes of a box grater
1 tablespoon corn starch
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
2 teaspoons Franks Red Hot or other hot sauce

Is this the Serious Eats recipe? If so, I found it to be pretty uneventful.
BurnetAggie99
Mexican Asadero cheese is the best type to use for making this cheese dip recipe. If you cannot find it, you can use Chihuahua cheese or Monterey jack instead. The Monterey jack will give more of a Tex-Mex flavor to the dip, but the other two are more authentically Mexican. This sauce makes enough for two people, so double the recipe if need be.

What you will need:

•4 oz finely chopped green chilies
•2 teaspoons ground cumin
•1 cup finely shredded Asadero cheese
•1/4 teaspoon salt
•2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
•1/4 cup Half & Half

How to make it:

Add the chilies, cumin, cheese, salt, onions, and Half & Half to a double boiler and warm it over a moderate heat, stirring it well until everything is well blended together. Serve it with hot flour tortillas, tostadas, chips or as a sauce for burritos, tacos or your favorite Mexican dish.
BurnetAggie99
My Grandma's Dip: Yield: about 2 cups
Ingredients:
1 tbsp. canola or vegetable oil
ÂĽ cup onion, finely chopped
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
12 oz. white American cheese, shredded*
4 oz. Monterey jack cheese, shredded
ÂĽ-2/3 cup milk
1 tomato, seeded and finely diced
2 tbsp. cilantro, minced

*White American cheese can be found at the deli counter in most grocery stores.

Directions:
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and jalapeño to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add both of the shredded cheeses and ¼ cup of the milk. Whisk or stir until completely melted. Mix in the tomato and cilantro, and add additional milk gradually as necessary to achieve desired consistency. Transfer to a warmed serving bowl and serve immediately.
bonfirewillburn
AG
Maybe...?

It does seem pretty basic, but it has a unique technique.
HTownAg98
It's similar to a fondue. The recipe I use to make fondue calls for tossing the cheese in a little flour before you add it to the wine. When it starts to melt, it looks like a mess that won't ever smooth out and come together, but it eventually does.
MichaelJ
AG
I thought Velveeta was american cheese...?
CaveDwellinAg
AG
Grilled my Freebirds friend on the recipe and she said she doesn't know what all is in it, but queso fresco is the cheese they use
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.