Any WWI Aggies Buried in Paris American Cemetery ?

8,346 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Rock1982
ag-bq-seventy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

From Rabid Cougar's link. Hmmmm. Fifty-seven. Not 55 as in today's campusology. And if you look at the photo of the West Gate (WWI) memorial, their appear to be only 52 names.

Wonder what the difference is.
When I was a student, there were 52 names, 52 flags, etc.

And for those who say I'm wrong, I have my Fish Handbook to prove it.

Don't know when or how it got changed.
CanyonAg77
AG
Seems like the number morphed to 55 by my time. I don't know if I have an old Cadence, but I can look.
Rabid Cougar
AG
ag-bq-seventy said:

CanyonAg77 said:

From Rabid Cougar's link. Hmmmm. Fifty-seven. Not 55 as in today's campusology. And if you look at the photo of the West Gate (WWI) memorial, their appear to be only 52 names.

When I was a student, there were 52 names, 52 flags, etc.

And for those who say I'm wrong, I have my Fish Handbook to prove it.

Don't know when or how it got changed.
No one says you're wrong. We just have numbers from different sources that are all over the place and we cannot figure out why.
Quad Dog
AG
I remember it being 55. I can imagine the number changing over the years as records change and improve.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
1949 Directory of Former Students lists 51 WW1Casualties including Easterwood - all wjth rank and class .

This directory . also . lists WW2 casualties by class and gives info on how they died plus more personal info .
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quick perusal of 49 directory:

Not on Longhorn Shield but in directory :

Allison Elmer C. '19

Barfield C '19

Curtis Manson F Pvt '10

Easterwood Jesse L Lt '09

Woodson JM '18

Not in directory but on Lponghorn Shield

Butts, John William

This would be 52 in directory including Butts.

My count on Longhorn Shieldl is 47 - plus the 5 from directory equals 52 !

When my head clears I will try to reconcile the difference to 57.

From Canyon's list from Tex.Go To War - Burford, Suber, and Hays are not on Longhorn Shield or Directory .

52 plus these 3 equals 55. Which appears to be the right number ! 55 !

Open to corrections.

Canyon found my error re: Memorial now corrected to read " Longhorn Shield " .
CanyonAg77
AG
Where did you get a list of who is on the memorial? The photo you copied above is from the "Longhorn" yearbook, not the memorial.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Started with the 49 Directory, then the picture of the Memorial, then the AGGTWar comments you posted.
CanyonAg77
AG
Your eyes are better than mine, or you have access to a much better photo of the memorial. None of the photos posted here are legible.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Sorry ! It was your photo from the Longhorn instead of the Memorial ( to my old eyes they looked the same ) !
CanyonAg77
AG
No problem. I was just wondering if you had info the rest of us didn't have.
AEK
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

Major Benjamin F. Wright '11 was commander of the 3rd battalion of the 141st Inf. Regiment of the 36th Division.
He was from Waco.
he was killed 8 October 1918 in the assaults around St, Entienne, France.

1st Lt. Graham B.Luhn '12 was also killed on this same day in the same area. He was Company Commander of Company D of the 141st Inf.Regiment.

Just to clarify it is St. Etienne-a-Arnes, which is close to Sommepy-Tahure. There is a memorial there on the battlefield. It is about an hour and half west of Verdun. Most of the US KIA from this battle are buried in the Meuse-Argonne American Cemetery. It was a bad day for the 36th.
JPB83
Sorry to get into these comments a few years late, but . . . the Brazos County World War I Centennial Committee, if you haven't seen it, has worked on this issue of the fallen Aggies of World War I. While there are complications regarding U.S. Army privates in the Student Army Training Corps on campus who died of the flu, there are 63 Aggies who lost their lives in WW1. The Gold Book and 1920 Longhorn list most of them and no one seems to know why there are only 55 names on the monument and for the Memorial Trees around the drill field -- other than they just didn't know. The time frame the Committee used was the same criteria to be issued a WW1 Victory medal -- April 6, 1917 to January 10, 1920.

Currently, the Committee is compiling its activities from the Centennial to include in a publication which will correct some of the misinformation as well as add to it, i.e. burial information. Stay tuned . . .
Rock1982
AG
I wonder if Charles Teague is related to Tiger Teague?

https://corps.tamu.edu/olin-e-teague-32/
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.