Green tabs on corps uniform?

14,230 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aggiejim70
Warrior 66
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Again, we're talking seniors in the pics I'm seeing on this thread. And Corps staff seniors at that. Its NOT the norm in the Corps, and I'd be interested in seeing pics of pissheads wearing 2 or more rows of ribbons.

What I'm trying to clear up here is the notion that because you see a pisshead wearing 2 or more rows of ribbons, that its commonplace across the Corps for ALL pissheads. When you say things like that on threads like this, especially for those who aren't around campus that often, thats EXACTLY the impression you give them - and its NOT true. Obviously, as you have pointed out, there ARE some who do, but it is NOT the norm, and while you may disagree with it, it is still NOT commonplace across the Corps.

I do NOT believe we have a big problem with ribbons and medals in the Corps. I DID feel we had way too many cords when I got here, and we have since reduced the number by half. Some will agree and some won't with the numbers and types of ribbons, medals, badges, cords, etc that we allow cadets to wear on their uniform - just as in the military. But in the end, I firmly believe that if a cadet EARNS it, just like a soldier, then he/she should be allowed to wear it.

There is NO such thing as a perfect system, and some will agree and some won't, but overall I believe we have a pretty good awards and decorations policy in the Corps today.

I've said all I'm going to say about this. I appreciate all the comments, and differing perspectives. I review all policies every year, including the awards and decorations policy, and we'll look at it again before school starts. Thanks again for your love and support of our Corps. Gig 'em!
joemeister
AG
There is only one ribbon that matters ... Fish Band!
CharlieBrown17
AG
The two close up pictures are class of 17.

Trident15
AG
The only place I see a ribbon problem in the Corps is in the wings due to AFROTC handing out ribbons like candy. Other than that, the only only time you will see a pisshead rocking 3 rows is if they are just a complete stud.
HollywoodBQ
AG
It's funny how people who don't know somebody think they can size them up from the ribbons/medals they wear.
We had a guy in my outfit who was a Zip '89 when I was a fish '92. He only wore 2 ribbons.

• Drum & Bugle Corps
  • Eagle Scout
Turns out, he had actually earned a whole bunch more but never wore them. His story was something like he couldn't pull his shirt as tight with more than two ribbons and those were the two that mattered to him most.
CharlieBrown17
AG
quote:
It's funny how people who don't know somebody think they can size them up from the ribbons/medals they wear.
We had a guy in my outfit who was a Zip '89 when I was a fish '92. He only wore 2 ribbons.

• Drum & Bugle Corps
  • Eagle Scout
Turns out, he had actually earned a whole bunch more but never wore them. His story was something like he couldn't pull his shirt as tight with more than two ribbons and those were the two that mattered to him most.

Sounds like my kind of guy. Three looks sharp imo
Quad Dog
AG
I feel like the Corps has always ebbed and flowed in awards, medals, and rank. Maybe they are just in a high point right now, and will correct back down (or are in that process according to the Commandant's posts.)
93Spur
Since nine is the max, so be it. I am certain that any ribbon worn was duly earned. Once earned, it definitely should be worn. Its not only an example of self accomplishment and something to take pride in, it is also a target to be attained by every underclassman, and should be an inspiration to the fish. I had to pull a photo - by Zip year I had nine, but one of those was Eagle Scout (last I saw, now worn over right pocket). Small wonder I ever made it to class. Glad to see the Green Tabs are having a similar effect.

Unfortunate that some white belts were otherwise unmotivated. So many opportunities. Someone should have shared with them the words of Conrad 'Ito" Alvarado (http://www.themonitor.com/news/local/new-faces-sweep-mcallen-school-board-election-as-bond-divides/article_ac422a64-f6cd-11e4-8393-9bae59d43f17.html) in 1989 to a bunch of fish - "Get off the Quad and join an organization."
A Person
AG
quote:
The only place I see a ribbon problem in the Corps is in the wings due to AFROTC handing out ribbons like candy.

I was a CO class of '15, couldn't agree more. It's a little ridiculous. I know a few people that got to 8 or 9 by butt year without AFROTC, but they were pretty dang squared away/ very involved.

Also, the conversation has sort of moved past this, but I wanted to add that I saw a lot of good in the greentabs. There were plenty of changes during my four years that I still disagree with, but that's not one of them
Ol Jock 99
AG
Green tabs on white belts: whatever. If it works, cool.

Green tabs on pisshead: I have an issue here, and it is easy to explain. Has any tracking been performed on the trajectory of heads who DON'T wear tabs? How many of them rise up to future 1SGs and COs? How many obtain staff positions? I could easy see a guy, based on (assumptions here) how well he runs and does pushups, saying "well, I guess I'm not going to be good enough, so eff it." They might not punch, but caring might be harder.

As you can probably guess, this is a bit personal to me. I wasn't the best fish on earth. I would physically behind most of my peers, so I wasn't the best runner and my pushups weren't perfect. I tried hard, but I just wasn't there yet. There is zero way I would have worn pisshead tabs. Yet, through hard work, and just growing up, I had them my zip year. Would I if I had been written-off as a head?? Kind of doubt it.
Spider69
AG
A few of us '69 Spiders had "black" crapper cords to symbolize our last place in Gen. Moore.

Last of the Old Army!

A Person
AG
I can't speak for other outfits, but the Pissheads who wore greentabs in my outfit deserved them. The heads selected as team leaders were selected on a variety of metrics, with physical fitness being one of the smaller components. We also rotated at semester, so that everyone capable of serving as a team leader wore greentabs at some point. Some people take a little longer to get going ( I know that described me to some extent), and I think most cadets in key leadership know that
aggiejim70
AG
quote:
A few of us '69 Spiders had "black" crapper cords to symbolize our last place in Gen. Moore.

Last of the Old Army!

A class of '69 Spider. That's about as low as one can go and still call themselves a human being.

This from a class of '70 BQ. Yeah I'm one of the fish that unplugged the ice cream machines and put the rubbers on your door knobs the night before Federal Inspection.
JR69
AG
In my time in the Corps green tabs were worn by those in command positions only, defined as Commanders, 1st Sergeants, and Sergeants Major. I don't think there were 9 ribbons a cadet could earn or that were authorized back then and there weren't many, if any, prior service types in the Corps.
sharpdressedman
I clearly recall the coeds being very impressed by sabers, sam brownes, boots, spurs, cords, badges and medals/ribbons. The analogy of a male peacock showing-off his feathers comes to mind. Good times. All the other comments about promoting/rewarding leadership and personal accomplishment are also important.
Swing Your Saber
Exactly!
dorm10fish
740A - The Hochmuth cord was worn well back into the 50s, you missed that one (your list is very good). Don't know what the Hochmuth-cord is? We all called it the BQ-cord, because they won it year after year, so the Trigon finally de-empahsized marching ability in its grading. The BQs wore it 8 of the 10 years of the 60s, and most of the 50s also.
dorm10fish
The solid-maroon cord for most years was awarded to those members of the WDT (Womens Drill Team). Like the FDT and SQ, was a plain "arm-pit" cord.
SupernovaAg
AG
quote:
When I was there we just used rank to denote a leadership billet. For example a platoon sgt would wear E-7 rank, while a junior who was not cadre would wear E-6 rank.
That isn't really a good way to do it though. Rank should not be directly related to responsibility. It isn't in the military and when they made this change my senior year it actually made things better.
74OA
AG
quote:
quote:
When I was there we just used rank to denote a leadership billet. For example a platoon sgt would wear E-7 rank, while a junior who was not cadre would wear E-6 rank.
That isn't really a good way to do it though. Rank should not be directly related to responsibility. It isn't in the military and when they made this change my senior year it actually made things better.
Rank not related to responsibility? I'm unfamiliar with that military....
SupernovaAg
AG
Rank is only part of it. Your actual job dictates your actual responsibility. For example most ship captains in the Navy are O-5's. That doesn't mean every O-5 has the same responsibility. Some O-5's are on a shore staff somewhere not in charge of many people but doing other things where others are in charge of 250 men and women on their ship. And for that reason ship captains get a 'Command at Sea' pin to wear.

Translating this example to the corps. Not every senior wearing 3 moons has the same level of responsibility in their outfit as a platoon leader also wearing 3 moons. Doesn't mean they aren't deserving of that rank it just means the rank isn't the only thing that dictates their role. To denote this additional responsibility for platoon leaders they get a green tab.
93Spur
Nothing to see here. Move along.

The current Corps uses the green tabs as its leadership and advisors have elected to do.
Green tabs for leadership positions within the Corps beyond CO is relatively new (last 15-20 years).
Green tabs for COs is somewhat new. Seems to have occurred late 1960s (1967 or so?)
Before the 1960s, I'm unclear whether green tabs were used at all.

Rank used to be based solely on promotion, so we had 4th Year Privates in the Zip class. That also changed, I believe in the 1960s, so that rank was first a class function, then a position function. Thus all sophomores became corporals, even if there was no associated responsibility. A change was made and has continued.

Change within the Corps, whether endorsed or not, is a function of continued life of the Corps, which should be endorsed.
corpusfishy
Corps uniforms are rediculous now. Everyone has a stack of ribbons and a cord. The tabs are just another way to make millennial cadets feel good about themselves.
ag-bq-seventy
AG
aggiejim70 said:

Quote:

Last of the Old Army!

A class of '69 Spider. That's about as low as one can go and still call themselves a human being.

This from a class of '70 BQ. Yeah I'm one of the fish that unplugged the ice cream machines and put the rubbers on your door knobs the night before Federal Inspection.
Ah, the good o'le days.

Your last name wouldn't start with a "W," would it?
aggiejim70
AG
ag-bq-seventy said:

aggiejim70 said:

Quote:

Last of the Old Army!

Ah, the good o'le days.

Your last name wouldn't start with a "W," would it?
Yes it would
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.