Letter from "A. Cadet" to General Ramirez

28,677 Views | 207 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Picadillo
ABATTBQ87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
FMJ doesn't explain the hazing death in the 80s Corps of Cadets

Do you know what happened that night in August of 1984 to cadet Goodrich?
lb3
AG
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:
A frog died of heat stroke sometime after getting aired out. Perhaps we should blame We've Never Been Licked?

Why do you find it necessary to blame a movie for what happened?

His name was Cadet Goodrich, and he was a frog class of 1987; a classmate that I never had the opportunity to meet.
lb3
AG
HollywoodBQ
AG
lb3 - I got the reference. I disagree about Pulp Fiction being required viewing though. Don't get me wrong, in my business I am "The Wolf".

I'm glad you mentioned the details about the culture at JSC. I'm having a struggle in my business where our culture is terrible and getting worse. I've traced root cause and it's not fixable. In fact, I agree with you that it takes replacing every single leader in the management chain including those who sit by and let it happen because they don't want to get in a fight.

The discussion I'm about to have with my boss is that if he continues to let the office bully run his game then he is complicit in the results. You can be a man and say something (and possibly lose your job) or, you can just say that that's the way it is and ignore it because you're afraid to rock the boat and don't want to lose your job.

Time will tell what happens at my work but as things are going, I can tell you when it started going bad. And I'm watching the leaders who are responsible. As I'm often the lone voice of dissent. There's a lot of in-breeding and buddy-buddy promotion of Yes men. Makes for a bad culture.
KnocknessMonster
AG
hi

[This message has been edited by KnocknessMonster (edited 9/16/2013 11:52p).]
Angry Beaver
AG
So someone released this letter to the public?!
Scruffy
AG
Before the op did, the author did.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
This kid is going to go real far in life. If you're going to write a letter to a General, then put your name on it and stop being a pansy!
E King Trill
AG
Dear A. Cadet,

You chose to serve the university and the Fightin' Texas Aggie Corps of Cadets. Suck it up and drive on.

A. 2LT
USA, IN
Texas A&M '12
PUP2012
AG
Mr. Will.johnson89,

Do I know you? There were only so many WILL JOHNSONS in the Corps class of 12....that also happened to have commissioned into the Army.

Pup
Trident 88
AG
quote:
A frog died of heat stroke sometime after getting aired out.

Was it a heat stroke? As I recall, we were told that Goodrich had an undiagnosed heart defect and collapsed/died during the crap out.
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:
we were told that Goodrich had an undiagnosed heart defect and collapsed/died during the crap out.

This is correct
My Dad Earl
AG
quote:
Mr. Will.johnson89,

Do I know you? There were only so many WILL JOHNSONS in the Corps class of 12....that also happened to have commissioned into the Army.

Pup

I think you're on to something here...
cokebottleag
AG
quote:
I wish I could say that the main thing I learned in the Corps was leadership. But the truth is that what was really valuable was discovering how much crap I could take without quitting. That knowledge has been more useful than anything I might have been taught about leadership.

This x1000.

My class figured this out after a month or so. After that it was just a waiting game; could we outlast whatever the sophomores threw at us?

This "A. Cadet" seems to dislike everything about the Corps, why exactly is he in it? Just quit dude if you can't take it.

Edit: Removed a bit to dicuss privately w/ Aggie 509th.

[This message has been edited by cokebottleag (edited 8/14/2013 1:15p).]
Aggie 509th
AG
quote:
One COL who was very approchable told us that several senior officers/NCOs recieved substantial kickbacks from it, and he had his own hand slapped when he started poking his nose around.

Cokebottleag,
I highly, highly doubt this. I have been a CTO since '07 (I see you are '08) and I surely would have heard of something like this going on if it was true. You know me...I am 1SG Cassle. Please call me and give me the name of said COL. My office number is 458-4279.
PUP2012
AG
quote:
I think you're on to something here...

If I remember correctly he had red hair...

The plot thickens.
E King Trill
AG
Yes guys this is Will Johnson. Haha, just trying to make a point to A. Cadet that if he's going to gripe he should be willing to put his name behind it.
PUP2012
AG
WILL!!!! How's the army treating you?

I agree with you 112% on this A. Cadet crap. If I really think more into this couldn't he have been using this time to study instead of crafting this letter?
WildAg08
AG
I was in The Corps. I was terrible at it (nearly kicked out 3 times) but I had a lot of fun.

This kid obviously doesn't belong. I agree with the uniform rental comment above and strongly suspect that its some sort of racket.

Edit: Removed unnecessary commentary. Old grudge against a CTO. I'm sure 509 is good people.

[This message has been edited by WildAg08 (edited 8/13/2013 10:29p).]
cokebottleag
AG
quote:
WildAg08

He's the best kind of people.

There were certainly bulls that I thought were NOT interested in fair treatment, and specifically saw first hand (during my little brother's 'trial' farce for drinking underage) that if you were in the wrong outfit, you were guilty until proven innocent. We straight up had the court tell us (after finding him innocent, with NO evidence to bring it to trial in the frist place) that "well, we can't get you this time, guess you got off".

It was then that I lost all faith in the cadet commandant's office and in the Corps. The Cadet Court is a kangaroo court, and is a sad, pale mockery of actual UMCJ proceedings.
WildAg08
AG
I had the exact opposite experience in a very similar situation. As a white belt in one of the undesirable outfits I was used to dealing with the bulls on a regular basis.

Then a new gungho CTO shows up and decides to launch a whole investigation that completely ignores guilt/innocence.
kayok09
The kid makes some valid points. I understand the corps is supposed to be difficult, but he makes valid points and "suck it up" is not really a constructive response.

Having to live 3 to a room freaking blows. I remember those rooms, and while yes, whitebelts can be a little creative with spacing, that is just not acceptable living conditions.

And people, lets be real here, none of these cadets volunteered. They were voluntold.
Trident15
AG
All cadets have been un-tripled unless they chose to stay three to a room. We have empty beds on the quad right now due to fish attrition. It wasn't an ideal situation but housing and Commandant's staff have worked hard to get cadets into normal occupancy rooms as quickly as possible.
kayok09
That is good to know Trident15.

The new dorms look nice. I'd like to go in and check one out next time I am in Cstat
olarmy69
You know my son lived 3 to a room his fish year and I thought that was cool. I didnt complain and he didnt either. I just called housing and told them to adjust my paying room for him. They were kind to do it and I left it at that. This little ***** if he goes into the military better get use to sleeping 20 to a room.

My son will tell you Huslin' 1 grew hair on his balls
CanyonAg77
AG
I posted this on page 2, but it bears repeating.

quote:
Cadets are now being forced to live 3 to a room

In the "compare to the service academies" slant, lots of USAFA cadets got to triple up as 4 degrees (fish) in the old days, dropping to 2 person rooms the other 3 years, and a few firsties (zips) got single rooms. But beginning in about 2010, they began about a 5-10 year remodling of all the dorms. They don't have extra dorms or apartments like A&M, so as they demo a dorm, all those cadets get slammed into 3 person rooms, some of them all the way to 3rd year, and nobody has single rooms anymore.

Regardless, wonder how our precious snowflake A. Cadet would have fared at Aggieland back around 1916?

[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/agrilife/5349376113/]Tent City
4FANTRASHCANDRIVER01
AG
Give this guy a commission, he'll fit right in with all of the belly aching in today's military.
texrex
Living conditions in Obannon Hall at TBS were much worse than the corps. 6 people shared a 2 room suite (each room was the size of a corps room). Hot water was rare, everything was moldy, and it was always hot and stinky. And yes, I complained about it every day!
Ulysses90
AG
What year were you at O'Bannon Hall? I wasn't great in 1990 but it wasn't nearly as bad as you describe. On the other hand, the new quarters that replaced O'Bannon are in a different league altogether. Thay are more like the Hampton Inn or La Quinta than the old O'Bannon and Graves Halls.
texrex
I was there in 2009. Graves hall was not great, but not too bad. The new places that were being built as I was leaving were actually very nice.
chuckpaddick
weasel66
AG
3 to a room with air conditioning would not seem to bad to me. 3 to an un-air conditioned room borders on criminal
Picadillo
If true, he/she is a whiner. It's an honor to be in the Corps and the concerns expressed appear petty and self serving. Highway 6 runs both ways.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.