Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Window Install Nail Fin vs Block

870 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by The Pilot
The Pilot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Getting bids to replace windows and latest contractor is pushing for fin install vs block frame install. Issue with the house is it's mostly stucco so fin install would involve a lot of stucco work. Is this option work pursuing? This is my third bid, I'm expecting it to be the highest, the other two contractors never mentioned fin install, probably because block frame is much easier to install.
Agthatbuilds
Always do flanges when able.

Otherwise, you're more likely to have water leaks and definitely air leakage.
The Pilot
AG
Definitely able to but would require cutting into stucco on about 20 of 22 windows.
Ikanizer
AG
I had to have 6" of stucco removed around several windows on a north facing wall so they could be re-sealed. They put a trim piece around each window to hide the work. Looks good. Other windows on my house are less vulnerable to wind driven rain. It doesn't take much of a leak under stucco to cause many long term problems.
The Pilot
AG
Ikanizer said:

I had to have 6" of stucco removed around several windows on a north facing wall so they could be re-sealed. They put a trim piece around each window to hide the work. Looks good. Other windows on my house are less vulnerable to wind driven rain. It doesn't take much of a leak under stucco to cause many long term problems.
Stucco trim piece? Some of my windows already have a stucco trim piece and others do not. Did the window guy repair the stucco work or did you have a stucco guy do that work?
RogerFurlong
The Pilot said:

Getting bids to replace windows and latest contractor is pushing for fin install vs block frame install. Issue with the house is it's mostly stucco so fin install would involve a lot of stucco work. Is this option work pursuing? This is my third bid, I'm expecting it to be the highest, the other two contractors never mentioned fin install, probably because block frame is much easier to install.
I'd ask for pictures of jobs each company did with stucco.
Agthatbuilds
The Pilot said:

Definitely able to but would require cutting into stucco on about 20 of 22 windows.

Understood. I can tell you when I'm replacing windows in masonry, I remove the brick/stone/stucco every time so I can properly tape and flash the windows. Otherwise, you're putting a lot of faith into the "pookie" and the person applying the caulk. You can trim it out but, as said, it's tough to make it look good in stucco retro fit.

I'd also suggest that you insist the contractor use a good sealant like NP1 over a cheap one. It'll blend better with your stucco anyway. Then be sure to check for dry or cracked sealant every couple years and replace as needed.

I have done flangless, but only in areas that are totally covered by a structure and has no way for water to intrude.

Anecdotal story- we were brought into a remodel where the client previoulsly had all the windows replaced in a big 115 year old brick house. All of the windows failed. They opted to do flangless and it led to major issues, including a major mold issue. We removed the brick around the windows and replaced with flanged windows and the problem was resolved. Its a pain in the ass but, imo, the right way.

One thing to check is if your existing stucco trim pieces are actually efis (foam). A lot of times I find the foam to have totally disintegrated leaving only a paint shell.
Ikanizer
AG
The Pilot said:

Ikanizer said:

Stucco trim piece? Some of my windows already have a stucco trim piece and others do not. Did the window guy repair the stucco work or did you have a stucco guy do that work?
I hired a stucco guy to fix four leaking windows that were installed when the house was built. They fabricated the trim pieces out of styrofoam and covered them with color matched stucco. I mentioned this experience because the windows looked great but it took years before the leaks under stucco to inside of house became noticeable. Better for you to make sure they do it right because the replacement crew could be long gone by the time you see a problem.
The Pilot
AG
Going to go with the nail fin install and add the stucco trim piece to the windows that currently don't have them. The ones with the stucco trim piece will get that part repaired.
RogerFurlong
The Pilot said:

Going to go with the nail fin install and add the stucco trim piece to the windows that currently don't have them. The ones with the stucco trim piece will get that part repaired.
Post pictures of it before/after if you don't mind.
The Pilot
AG
Will do. Will be a couple months as windows are supposedly 2-3 months out.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.