Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Typical cost per LF for new fence

1,411 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by tgivaughn
TarponChaser
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Need to replace our fence in the Atascocita area. I've been quoted $32/linear feet for 6' cedar with a 6" rot board at the bottom and one gate.

That's going to be around $12-13K which seems pretty ridiculous.

What are y'all seeing out there?
MarleyFeed97
AG
There was a thread on this maybe a few weeks ago and as I recall people posting quotes all over from mid 20's to upper 30's/ft.

I'm in DFW but just got a quote for just 78 lf replacing 6' prestained cedar (3 2x4 rails, no gate, no rot board, but incl demo & haul off) on existing steel posts at $25/lf. Seems fair based on others numbers given short length.

I'm wondering what the going rate is for power wash and restaining existing fence?

edited for spelling mistakes
-MarleyFeed97
Aggie71013
AG
As Marley said, $32 isn't on the cheap end, but that's not unreasonable. I got quotes in that range when I redid my fence 1.5 years ago in the Houston area.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I've DIYed in the past because I hate how expensive it's gotten. The materials are probably half the cost. If you can get neighbors to split it can defray the cost.

Have McCauleys or Olshan deliver the lumber and concrete. Rent a skid steer w/auger attachment as well as a concrete buggy. Buy a few cordless framing nailers on your platform of choice (I like Dewalt and Paslode) for you and your crew, give the extras away as gifts to your help. Depending on the number of hands you can knock that amount out over a long weekend.
maverick12
AG
I just got a quote from Texas Fence for $31.50/LF. 6' cedar pickets with a 6" rot board excluding the gates. it was $27.50 when i initially checked in December but apparently they discount their pricing based on demand and seasonal demand is higher now. I also got a quote from Tim's Fence back in December and they were a bit higher.
MS08
AG
$30/LF is about 2.0x what it actually costs. Does depend on your market though. If you can serve as your own fencing contractor, that is the way to go, but you have to have the direct labor source. To mitigate your costs, you could see if you could provide materials, and have the fencing contractor give you a labor only price.
Apache
AG
OP - this is in line with what I'm seeing.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
I just got a quote for materials for 200' of 6' cedar fence with 12" toe kick and cedar cap. I have a pretty good contractor rate from McCoy's and the materials alone were $21.50 a linear foot. McCoy's was about 15% cheaper than a custom quote from Home Depot. So your contractor is probably making about $10 per foot. I'd say that's a reasonable bid.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
ThreatLevel: Midnight
AG
Based on replacing our fence in Spring area over the last two years, you can expect mid to high $20's unless you can catch a sub crew doing a job for someone else and pay them directly to cut out the markup of the parent company (risks involved obviously) or buy the materials for them and pay them for the labor install only.

Either way, if you go this route, be sure not to pay anything up front or there is the chance you'll never see that money or the crew again. If they need $ for the materials tell them you'll meet them at Home Depot etc. or reimburse after invoice/receipt provided etc.
Thanks & Gig 'Em
evestor1
TarponChaser said:

Need to replace our fence in the Atascocita area. I've been quoted $32/linear feet for 6' cedar with a 6" rot board at the bottom and one gate.

That's going to be around $12-13K which seems pretty ridiculous.

What are y'all seeing out there?
Seems pretty reasonable to me. Removing that much fence isnt free either.

I saw a guy on fb marketplace advertising 26/ft with pine in kingwood recently.
tgivaughn
AG
Deed Restrictions and aesthetics are going to bury us!

~$2/lf options
uline.com/Product/Detail/H-1815/Pallets/Heat-Treated-Wood-Pallet

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/studded-t-post-6-ft-125-lb-per-foot
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/feedlot-panel-cattle-16-ft-l-x-50-in-h

If only evergreens could serve as fences (no painting) & survive Texas weather!
IMHO and am sticking to it
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.