Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Windows - Kolbe (Forgent) or Pella (Impervis) for new build?

1,217 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by wmitchell
MAS444
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any recs or comparisons for these two window manufacturers/lines? This is for a new build where it gets cold in the winter (relatively mild in the summer). I've got recs for each. Windows mainly picture style windows (some large) with a few casement and awning type windows.
tgivaughn
AG
Pella has been the gold standard for decades in Texas IMHO but
if costs & R-values are the same
I would select the Kolbe after seeing their details.
IMHO and am sticking to it
MAS444
AG
Appreciate that very much. That's what my quick googling tells me so far as well. If you don't mind, can you be any more specific re: their "details?"
ktownag08
AG
+1 for the Kolbe

Is Anderson an option?
BenTheGoodAg
AG
We replaced our windows with Pella Impervias. They're very nice, we're glad we did it, but they are pricey. Pella warranty is really good and the windows are much quieter than what we had. We have both cold winters and warm summers and they work well for us.

I don't think you could go wrong either way, but I'd vote Pella personally.
MAS444
AG
Ben - Where are you located if you don't mind saying?

Thanks everyone for the responses!
HDeathstar
We used Pella 8 yrs ago and have been happy with them. Not sure I can say we compared brands, just went with the name brand.

We did get a few quotes, one by Pella directly, and one through an independent contractor using Pella windows. The independent contractor was a lot cheaper, so we mentioned it to the Pella representative, and he matched the independent contractor bid. I would have used either one.
tgivaughn
AG
Email me for details for your eyes only
IMHO and am sticking to it
MAS444
AG
Quick googling... @ juno.com email?
BenTheGoodAg
AG
You bet - Amarillo
cadetjay02
AG
If you want to talk to an actual window guy, call Derek at Window E-Store. You can custom build and price whatever you'd like through him or on the site. I've done 2 houses through him.

https://windowestore.com/
wmitchell
AG
Not sure what look you're going for but Pella Lifestyle series could be a good fit too. Depending on options, could be cheaper than Impervia even
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2010
Agthatbuilds
Funny enough, kolbe is the only brand we've ever had significant problems with
Orome
AG
We just got quotes for Anlin windows. How do they compare to these brands?
wmitchell
AG
Hard to compare to Pella Impervia or Kolbe Forgent - the material is different. Anlin is vinyl - the Impervia and Forgent are not.

I don't know a ton about Anlin windows. Pella 250 series, Encompass, 150 series or Thermastar would be more comparable to Anlin.

Kolbe doesn't really play in the vinyl game. Mostly, I see Kolbe as a niche product - they do make a good window.

The window and door industry is consolidating (fast the last couple of years). There are always smaller regional players, but they are getting bought up by the bigger players.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.