Best grass for full shade but can take heat

1,123 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Earth Rider
Earth Rider
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have San Augustine in my front yard, and it looks good except there are some bare areas where there is almost full shade.

I may just go with the artificial grass. I tried planting San Augustine plugs and watered it but it never made it in some spots. Anyways just looking for recommendations.
gabehcoud
monkey (mondo) grass

https://neilsperry.com/2016/10/why-mondograss-is-my-favorite/
ktownag08
AG
If you want to give St. Augustine a go again, could try Amershade variety. If the area never gets sun and is truly "full shade" as you say then do turf or what above poster says.

----------------

Not to thread highjack, but it's in the same vein re grass for partly shady area. Any opinions on best shade tolerant non-St. Augustine variety? I've read Zorro Zoysia, Zeon Zoysia, and even Celebration Bermuda can do well.
OE_Ag11
AG
How traffic and dog resistant is the monkey grass? Been trying to figure out what to grow on our side yard where it's all shaded and the dogs like to run.
Earth Rider
AG
ktownag08 said:

If you want to give St. Augustine a go again, could try Amershade variety. If the area never gets sun and is truly "full shade" as you say then do turf or what above poster says.

----------------

Not to thread highjack, but it's in the same vein re grass for partly shady area. Any opinions on best shade tolerant non-St. Augustine variety? I've read Zorro Zoysia, Zeon Zoysia, and even Celebration Bermuda can do well.
I might try the Amershade. Most of my lawn does great, but I have some 100+year old oaks in my front yard, They seem to keep it bare at a few spots and all I can figure is it is too shade at some spots. Thank you for hte direction.

Earth Rider
AG
It sounds good, but it looks pretty tall. I might try that dwarf variety.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.