irrigation controller wiring question

940 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by CapCity12thMan
CapCity12thMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
had some landscaping done, and there was a spot with 3 valves in it that have been in place since install with some crude irrigation valve covers in place but it was all a mess. Prior wiring and rerouting of controller left a bunch of wires in/around the ground but I cleaned it all up and tested everything and it worked. During the landscaping, one old valve was replaced. landscaper said he tested everything but seems he only tested valves manually and not from the controller.

Went to get irrigation going this weekend and all 3 valves in this spot do not turn on from controller.

I am assuming a wire got cut somewhere, or is it possible all three solenoids got fried/shorted somehow? How can I test when I turn on the valve from the controller (Rachio 2), that there is power getting to valve location? If there is no power getting there, I can assume bad wiring along the way?
agnerd
AG
They will usually get 24 volts when the controller turns them on. If the solenoids aren't getting the voltage, the wires got cut. Check with a volt meter.
CapCity12thMan
AG
not that experienced with a volt meter and how to test it...can you explain? Assume wiring is like this: https://sunshoweronline.com.au/help-centre/how-to-wire-solenoids-valves-to-an-irrigation-controller/
AmC_OldSarge
AG

All of the valves share a common negative wire. Get one of these (Circuit Tester that can handle 24v +) and test each positive wire as they are turned on at the controller. My guess is they cut your wire.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Did your rain sensor get cut?
CapCity12thMan
AG
do not have a rain sensor. landscape guys coming out today to look at it and hopefully fix it. I don't have time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.