Randomly Tripping Outdoor GCFI

703 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 87IE
PlanoAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EDIT POST: GFCI

I have a GFCI (#1) on the back of my house that feed my gazebo lighting/fan, another GFCI(#2) in the gazebo, and my pool light. It does not feed the other pool equipment (pumps, etc.). About every couple of months, GFCI#1 will trip and won't reset for a few days. This doesn't happen around rain so I know it's not rainfall getting things wet.

• This past Tuesday, it tripped during the night.
  • Wednesday it would trip automatically after attempting to reset it.
  • Thursday night it would trip a few seconds after resetting it.
  • Friday morning it would trip a few minutes after resetting it.

Based upon the duration after resetting and when it trips again, it sounds like something is getting wet downstream of GFCI #1 that is tripping it and over time it is drying out?

This is important because my Aggie baseball lucky watching spot is out in the gazebo. When GFCI #1 trips, it obviously trips GFCI #2 which leads to my lucky gazebo TV.

TexAg1987
Is your pool light on?

If not, try disconnecting different branches coming from the GFCI one at a time until you figure out which one is making it trip.

Mine started tripping when my pool light started getting condensation inside.
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

Is your pool light on?

If not, try disconnecting different branches coming from the GFCI one at a time until you figure out which one is making it trip.

Mine started tripping when my pool light started getting condensation inside.
The pool light comes on when the GFCI is reset. I don't think it's the pool light as it works for a few months before starting to trip. This is repeating behavior. I would think that condensation in the pool light would produce a constant tripping. This is cyclical.
Sazerac
AG
Replace the GFCI first. It's cheap and easy. These things do go bad, especially if they trip for a good reason.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Quote:

This is important because my Aggie baseball lucky watching spot is out in the gazebo. When GFCI #1 trips, it obviously trips GFCI #2 which leads to my lucky gazebo TV.
Step 1 - Save Aggie Baseball - If G2 is directly downstream from G1, move that branch from the LOAD terminals on G1 over to the LINE terminals on G1. That will prevent G1 trips from taking out G2. If there are other outdoor outlets between G1 & G2, you shouldn't do this since they are protected by G1.

Step 2 - Diagnosing Trips - follow TexAg1987's advice - disconnect the other branches from G1 one at a time until you figure out which one is causing issues.

Moisture is likely, but there could be other factors. Bad GFCI, temperature, humidity, bad wirenut/connection, etc You don't really know until you isolate it better.
87IE
AG
Replace GFCI2 with a regular outlet and see if it continues.. I don't think there is a real benefit to having them wired in series.

It's Laken Riley, not Lincoln you idiot
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.