Is duct cleaning worthwhile?

2,046 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by CapCity12thMan
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thinking about using this done, but not sure if it's worth the cost. Anyone with any experience?
Pigtails
AG
Yes! Especially for your dryer vent. We did it about two months ago and was shocked at the amount of dust. One newborn and one dog in the house. Our home is a new build.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Dryer Vent? Yes.

HVAC Ducts? No, especially soft ducts. You'll introduce more problems than you solve.
Absolute
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

Dryer Vent? Yes.

HVAC Ducts? No, especially soft ducts. You'll introduce more problems than you solve.

I am in this camp. The flex ducts are so fragile. Plus the 'industry' has a lot of scammer types.
tgivaughn
AG
Dryer, fireplace, kitchen hood all good to clean

Agree with the above with possible exception to metal ducts
IF they won't come apart when cleaned, such as we have.
That said, better than cleaning was sealing them with Aeroseal in 1999 ... but they moved & even left Dallas, so too far away now to service Aggieland.

If Aeroseal needs definition, think Fix-a-Flat for tires but with a pro pressure rig.
IMHO and am sticking to it
MyNameIsJeff
AG
This is the most common scam I see on FB.

You likely have flex duct in your home. I just don't see how any kind of mechanical cleaning method can effectively clean spiral flex duct in any meaningful way without damaging the duct.

If you have sheet metal duct, that's a different story, but regular filter changes should really prevent any need for cleaning.

If you have mold or something, I would look into replacing flex duct rather than attempting to clean.

Edit: Several people mention fireplace/dryer vent. These should be cleaned regularly, but I don't think this is what the OP is asking about.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Yeah, really thinking about HVAC duct.

No kitchen vent to outside or fireplace. Not much in the dryer vent. It's a short, straight shot through the wall, so pretty much full pressure coming out of the dryer before it's outside. No real buildup there.
AgLA06
AG
I'm a big proponent of replacing the flex duct every other unit or so if you have the money. Some of those coming out of houses I've seen during renovations are just disgusting.
tamuags08
AG
We have our dryer vent cleaned out once a year every year. Its a long run and inevitably gets lint throughout the line. There has been 1-2 fires in our neighborhood due to the buildup.
Chase
AG
AgLA06 said:

I'm a big proponent of replacing the flex duct every other unit or so if you have the money. Some of those coming out of houses I've seen during renovations are just disgusting.

Every other unit?
AgLA06
AG
Every other time the system gets replaced.
Chase
AG
AgLA06 said:

Every other time the system gets replaced.
Oh, that make sense. I was thinking autocorrect changed a unit of time to "unit" and wondered. Thanks.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Well, that'll be the next one. We just had a new system installed 3 years ago.
CapCity12thMan
AG
One time I used EcoZapp and it made ice crystals in the ductwork. Good news is all the dust was in the ice so we just chipped it all out and now have clean ducts.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.