Mouse-Rat Traps

2,284 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by 91AggieLawyer
IslandAg76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have a problem in my garage. Caught a couple with my conventional traps but now the traps are being sprung and nothing caught. Actually have had a couple mouse traps disappear---assume a rat setting it off and running away with trap, but don't know.

What is the best traps to get rid of these guys?
water turkey
I like the electrocution traps. Looks like a little mail box. Put peanut butter in the middle, they go in and get fried.
bam02
AG
Order one of the 5 gallon bucket trap door lids on Amazon. I caught/killed like 5 rats in my attic with one all in a day or two. Made for a nasty rat soup but it knocked out my rat problem.
buddybee
As mentioned by water turkey, get the rat zapper traps. Have several of them and they work like a charm.

Chase
AG
IslandAg76 said:

Have a problem in my garage. Caught a couple with my conventional traps but now the traps are being sprung and nothing caught. Actually have had a couple mouse traps disappear---assume a rat setting it off and running away with trap, but don't know.

I've had great luck with these

Tomcat Rat Snap Trap- Pack of 4
https://a.co/d/08IxZzy

water turkey
buddybee said:

As mentioned by water turkey, get the rat zapper traps. Have several of them and they work like a charm.

I killed 7 kitten-sized rats in 7 nights with one. Wiped them out.
tgivaughn
AG
Agree with all above
+ Tomcat Glue Boards, even the cheaper strips
+ Great Stuff BIG GAP filler

the pros use poison but then comes the rot smells if in attic
IMHO and am sticking to it
Chase
AG
tgivaughn said:

Agree with all above
+ Tomcat Glue Boards, even the cheaper strips
+ Great Stuff BIG GAP filler

the pros use poison but then comes the rot smells if in attic

If you mean the Great Stuff to stop the rats getting in, stuff copper wool in there, too. They dislike it and they will chew through Great Stuff.
Serious Lee
you just need to anchor your traps. screw them down into some wood. for really big rats, put two of them neck and neck with the business ends facing each other, like this

P.H. Dexippus
AG
A24 may be overkill but it's the same technology they use to knock down the invasive stoat population in New Zealand.

Or just do it the old fashioned way.
agchino
AG
Another +1 for electronic traps. I live near a creek and have problems with my outdoor cabinets and bushes and such.

Electronic traps are basically100% hit rate. They would get wary of the different snap traps, or it might catch a leg or whatever. Poison didn't seem to knock them back.

Only real problem I had with the electronic traps was the ants would find the bait and then I'd have to rebait between rat visits.
IslandAg76
AG
Thanks-ordered some electronic and some of the new, more traditional spring type with teeth.

Gonna get the Bas&$rds!!
Leggo My Elko
AG
I have mice/rat problems everytime a neighbors field near my house gets cleared/mowed. I've done poison and sticky traps.
2wealfth Man
AG
i also drive small nails sticking upward on the business end of the spring traps
IslandAg76
AG
GOT ONE.. ..first night with the electric trap.
AgTrip
Here's a DIY that gets quite a few. You can put water in the bucket so you don't have to deal with relocating!

aTm2004
AG
Do it the American way

P.H. Dexippus
AG
Looks safe
HalifaxAg
AG
P.H. Dexippus said:

A24 may be overkill but it's the same technology they use to knock down the invasive stoat population in New Zealand.

Mrs Frisby will just make more...
RaeBooth
Sticky traps are the best
hijakeroo123
AG
Chase said:

IslandAg76 said:

These traps work amazingly well with peanut butter in the cup; we used them for a couple of years at my old office until the building owner finally filled gaping holes in the exterior which were allowing all kinds of critters to enter.
Chase
AG
hijakeroo123 said:

Chase said:

IslandAg76 said:

These traps work amazingly well with peanut butter in the cup; we used them for a couple of years at my old office until the building owner finally filled gaping holes in the exterior which were allowing all kinds of critters to enter.
Yep, peanut butter is what we used.
91AggieLawyer
AG
HalifaxAg said:

P.H. Dexippus said:

Mrs Frisby will just make more...

Never seen anything like that with rats. One evening when I was out on a walk at my g-father's farm with my dad, g-father and the dogs, they got a hold of a snake and gave him the same treatment these dogs are giving the rats. The snake didn't last very long.

Don't screw around with farm dogs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.