Home Improvement
Sponsored by

How can I mill/cut this profile?

1,994 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Whitetail
barnacle bob
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need to have similar profile to the cut cut in 6x6 cedar.

I have had similar milled in past using a specialty CNC company off internet. This was more affordable than expected and turned out great. This worked to replace small pieces below 24"

I now have a need for this profile on ends of an 8' run. Too big to ship.

What would I search to find locally (Houston). I find a lot of CNC options but for non-wood material.

How did the old timers do this? What tool would I need, not afraid to try myself…

TexAg1987
how to cut a 4x6 decorative rafter tail for Pavilion (youtube.com)
agnerd
AG
barnacle bob said:

How did the old timers do this? What tool would I need, not afraid to try myself…
If you don't have too many to do:

...to get it close and

...to finish it up.
javajaws
AG
Could also rough cut with a sawzall then cleanup with the belt sander.
aggie_wes
AG
A band saw and sander would be the most straightforward way to do it

redaszag99
Scroll Saw or Jig Saw
Jack Squat 83
AG
Throw together some outfeed/support tables and do it on a good bandsaw with someone helping swing the end of the 8' around for you, softly. IMO that's the only way to get it cut through evenly and save a bunch of sanding or timbers.
Pretty sure most of you don’t know me.
ABATTBQ11
AG
You could try a coping saw. Otherwise, rough cut with a sawzall and finish with a belt sander
barnacle bob
AG
I tried the jigsaw method on profiled 4x4s and the blade did not stay straight, ruling that out for 6x material.

I found a 3" router bit, I think this profile is simple enough to make a pattern to follow and knock it out with several passes.

ABATTBQ11
AG
Yeah, a typical jigsaw would never cut square at that depth.

Be VERY careful with a router bit that long. Make shallow passes and remove minimal material to reduce the chance of it biting or the bit walking.
Whitetail
AG
barnacle bob said:

I tried the jigsaw method on profiled 4x4s and the blade did not stay straight, ruling that out for 6x material.

I found a 3" router bit, I think this profile is simple enough to make a pattern to follow and knock it out with several passes.

Where are you at?

I have a bandsaw that would make quick work of this. IMO, best done on a bandsaw, I wouldn't fool with doing it on a router.

Heck I even have a 14 inch Jet bandsaw that I could sell you. (It is old, but functional)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.