Best Tool For Grout Removal?

1,026 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Third Day Pools
turfman80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need to make a few grout repairs on some floor tiles and also want to refresh all of the discolored grout lines, so looking to remove about 1/8 inch depth on those before regrouting. Is a Dremel tool with their grout removal rotary bit the best way to go?
jt2hunt
AG
Money to hire someone!
ForeverAg
AG
Depending on how much grout you are trying to remove in terms of linear feet, but the manual hand tool with the abrasive edge makes pretty quick work of this but I would not do a huge area with this. I did a bathroom floor with this and it was perfectly fine.
kosmostx
aaaand after going back and rereading the original post I'll just change this to say that the Dremel route was pretty quick when I used it.

Dremel makes bits and an attachment for their tools to control depth that works pretty well.

https://www.dremel.com/gn/en/p/dremel-wall-floor-grout-removal-kit-26150568aa
Jabin
jt2hunt said:

Money to hire someone!
What kind of trade would one look for to do this? I need to replace some grout in a tiled shower and don't want to do it myself.
jt2hunt
AG
Tile guys!
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
How much dust does the dremel throw up?
MS08
AG
Grout Removal tool at Home Depot as well as the handheld grout saw. Each one is $10
62strat
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

How much dust does the dremel throw up?
probably all of it.
Third Day Pools
AG
Angle grinder
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.