Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Replacing 50 gal Gas Water Heater - Fair Price?

4,303 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Guitarsoup
Chase
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bronco6Gen said:

You need a permit to swap out a water heater? For real?
You need permits for everything now.

Want to replace a door or window? Permit
Want to put up a shed or fence? Permit
Want to replace some brick? Permit
Want to pour a small patio or a sidewalk that ISN'T at the street? Permit
Want to put in a sprinkler system? Permit
Any exterior remodelling outside of painting? Permit
htxag09
AG
Bronco6Gen said:

Most cities require it, yes.

I'm in Houston and heard rumors of the city keeping an eye out for people disposing of water heaters on heavy trash day and checking if they had a permit a few years ago.
bonfarr
AG
htxag09 said:

Bronco6Gen said:

Most cities require it, yes.

I'm in Houston and heard rumors of the city keeping an eye out for people disposing of water heaters on heavy trash day and checking if they had a permit a few years ago.

I thought it was due to the code upgrade that now requires an expansion tank. Do you just pay online for it if you do the work yourself?

I was just looking on City of SA website and if you replace more than 25% of your fence that requires a permit. I have built a lot of fences and never had to pull a permit and never been asked about one.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
Sea Speed
AG
I've done a LOT of work without a permit(nothing structural)and the only issue I have run in to was when I was looking to install a pool, we went over the impervious coverage limits with driveway expansions and wouldn't have been allowed to do concrete decking.

For a lot of stuff, permits just seem like a wayfor the CAD to raise your home value and take more of your money.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Here's the real risk you face not having permits: If you have a related home issue to work you performed, ie your house burned down due to wiring you installed, and it doesn't meet code, then you'd be liable. Even if it does meet code, they would probably still fight you on it in a claim. Having it permitted theoretically means you got inspected and it meets the local codes and moves the liability to others. However, as many of us know, there are plenty of contractors out there that do shoddy work and inspectors that miss it, so it's not a guarantee that it was done right.

That said, the government is way too chummy with telling citizens what to do and not do. Permits, being an extension of that, have gotten way out of hand.
Army instead of Ag
If you think that plumbers are trying to over price there services you need to think about all the overhead and liability that comes with owning a plumbing company. I am very sure that many of you are capable of swapping out a water heater but would you be willing to stand behind it in someone's home that you don't know or what goes on inside the home.Also don't think that the water heater that you are buying in a box store is the same as you get from a supply house.
Sea Speed
AG
Are you seriously arguing that $1500 in labor for a garage water heater replacement is justifiable?
ForeverAg
AG
Army instead of Ag said:

If you think that plumbers are trying to over price there services you need to think about all the overhead and liability that comes with owning a plumbing company. I am very sure that many of you are capable of swapping out a water heater but would you be willing to stand behind it in someone's home that you don't know or what goes on inside the home.Also don't think that the water heater that you are buying in a box store is the same as you get from a supply house.

A Bradford White water heater from a supply house is around $540 when I bought last a few years back which is actually more affordable than you can find at Home Depot or Lowes. Anyone can walk in and pay that as a house account...

Moral High Horse
We paid 1500 in Austin a few months ago. Garage, expansion tank, some welding, etc.
Army instead of Ag
Not trying to argue at all but the $1500 that you think they are clearing is not what they have in a service call.
I don't work for Baker Brothers but I will use them as an example. They have to pay someone to answer and book the call, and remember you called them,they have to reach out to you in their marketing which is not cheap. You have the cost of sending newer trucks to your house, they can't send junker trucks because they have scheduled this call around your schedule and if they are late getting there more than likely you will get on Facebook and bash them. More than likely they will replace the heater along with new supply lines as well as a flood stop. They will also have to pay another person to process billing. Then you have all your liability insurance that they are required to have by the State. After that you have to pay the plumber and hope you as the owner have some left for the company.
Sea Speed
AG
Do other businesses not have overhead where they don't need to charge $500 an hour for labor? I'm certain there is markup on the equipment as well which is fine. I have ZERO problem with businesses making money, but gmafb if you think $2500 or $3400 is reasonable for a garage water heater replacement.
htxag09
AG
Yeah. As someone who's career is in supply chain and negotiating with salespeople, this argument is a nonstarter. Nobody is saying plumbers aren't allowed to make a profit or they need to be losing money on my job to give them my business.

But, just as you state they have a business they need to run, so do I. Yes, households and expenditures should be treated just like businesses do. If they aren't covering all their overhead they'll go out of business. If I don't do my due diligence and pay 2-3x of what's "normal" for every service out there it's not too far fetched to think I'll be going bankrupt or, at a minimum, not be able to afford the upkeep of my home.

$3,500 for a water heater install in a garage is asinine. Trying an argument that it barely covers their costs is even more asinine.
JP76
A gas 50 gal rheem with new stainless supply lines, new nipples, and gas line
, etc will run about $900-$1000 for all materials. Electric will be about $75 to $100 less

A hard heater install non attic takes me ~4 hours worst case excluding getting the heater.

In Texas you can get around having an expansion tank by code as long as you install a thermal pressure relief ball valve on the cold side of the heater.

Its not rocket science to swap one out but they don't always go easy

Sometimes the heater won't drain because the valve gets clogged

Sometimes the shut off valve is frozen or bad and has to be changed out

Sometimes you have to replumb the t&p bc the new heater is in a different location

Also on gas you have to get on the roof to adjust /recaulk the rain collar so if you have a steep roof that can be fun.

Pinochet
This is such a weird, uninformed argument. I'm sure you've gained all the tribal knowledge about just how expensive liability insurance is, so why don't you tell us how much that costs per job? Go ahead and tell us how much per job it costs for the marketing. And tell me why in your example, the person answering the phone isn't doing the billing. Is it because there is enough work to have one person doing each of those jobs and then spread it even more so cost per job is even less?

At $3500 total with a $500 supply house water heater and a man hour or two of time, what makes up the $3000 of costs?
The Dog Lord
AG
bonfarr said:

So I told that company that I was getting additional bids and they gave me the talk about quality of work yada yada yada. My wife used to do some Marketing work with another reputable named company and she called them for a second quote while I was at work today and she was supposed to call me when they had an estimate. She calls me when I am about fifteen minutes from home and says yeah they seem great and they have a $300 off coupon special right now and they can do it tonight. I ask how much less their bid was and she says well actually it was a little more than the other one, $3400 after the discount, but they can do it tonight. I raced home and got into the garage before those dudes had the new equipment out of the truck and told them no and asked my wife if she was effin crazy and told her if she needed a hot shower tonight so bad I would put her up in the JW Marriott down the street tonight and still be $900 better off.

I got a bunch of recs from the neighborhood Facebook site and a guy is coming tomorrow to do the same work for $1625.

I've received a lot of recommendations for Chambliss Plumbing. Used them recently to diagnose a water heater element issue. Only cost me $135. Don't have any experience with them other than that but may be worth a shot to get a quote.
bonfarr
AG
I've heard good things about Chambliss as well, lots of people in my hood use them. The guy I hired has done two replacements in the last 2 months in my neighbors homes and all good recs.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
cz308
Was quoted $1900 for a 50G gas garage replacement and I laughed. No way! Took care of it myself.
DripAG08
AG
Just replaced ours in the garage. New 50 gal tank from Lowe's is $800 and the labor is pretty simple. Go at it yourself!
RightWingConspirator
AG
I just got a quote in The Woodlands for $2300 install which was pure labor. The Rheem unit we have will be replaced under warranty, but it w as still $2300 for an attic install on one unit. We have two, but the other one is fine. I'm thinking of going tankless at this point as this water heater lasted 5.5 years and we have a water softener system.
Guitarsoup
AG
bonfarr said:

Sea Speed said:

bonfarr said:

BenTheGoodAg said:

bonfarr said:

Plumber came today and immediately said it had an internal leak and needed full replacement and gave an estimate of $2500.
We are missing some details, but I think $2500 sounds high.

Call me skeptical - was there actually water in the pan? Calling it an "internal" leak is an odd description. You'd likely still see some evidence of a leak other than the pilot being out if water is getting into the combustion chamber.

Water heater located in garage and there was about 1/2 in water in the drain pan.

Idk if you're handy, but this is about the easiest job you can do plumbing wise around the house. It should take you a couple hours and the cost of thebwater heater, which can be had for significantly less than a grand. There is absolutely no chance I pay that much for a garage water heater replacement. That job will take the plumber like an hour if there is nothing unusual about the job. Hell for 2500 bucks id upgrade to a real nice on demand gas unit.

If it was electric I would give it a shot but I know nothing about working with gas appliances. The plumber also mumbled something about a permit, is a permit required to replace a water heater?
Nah. The gasline is super easy. Mine screwed on and off like a water line to a sink and had a cut off near the water heater. I replaced the gas line when I did my water heater.

I did mine two years ago. Bid was like $1800 to replace in attic with cheap $300 water heater. I bought the best one that would fit. Mine was more complicated, because my attic sucks, but in a garage, you can easily do it in an hour or two with no problems. Also added water cut offs up there so if I need to replace it again, I can just shut off the water there, and not to the entire house.
bonfarr
AG
Guitarsoup said:

bonfarr said:

Sea Speed said:

bonfarr said:

BenTheGoodAg said:

bonfarr said:

Plumber came today and immediately said it had an internal leak and needed full replacement and gave an estimate of $2500.

Call me skeptical - was there actually water in the pan? Calling it an "internal" leak is an odd description. You'd likely still see some evidence of a leak other than the pilot being out if water is getting into the combustion chamber.

Water heater located in garage and there was about 1/2 in water in the drain pan.

Idk if you're handy, but this is about the easiest job you can do plumbing wise around the house. It should take you a couple hours and the cost of thebwater heater, which can be had for significantly less than a grand. There is absolutely no chance I pay that much for a garage water heater replacement. That job will take the plumber like an hour if there is nothing unusual about the job. Hell for 2500 bucks id upgrade to a real nice on demand gas unit.

If it was electric I would give it a shot but I know nothing about working with gas appliances. The plumber also mumbled something about a permit, is a permit required to replace a water heater?
Nah. The gasline is super easy. Mine screwed on and off like a water line to a sink and had a cut off near the water heater. I replaced the gas line when I did my water heater.

I did mine two years ago. Bid was like $1800 to replace in attic with cheap $300 water heater. I bought the best one that would fit. Mine was more complicated, because my attic sucks, but in a garage, you can easily do it in an hour or two with no problems. Also added water cut offs up there so if I need to replace it again, I can just shut off the water there, and not to the entire house.

My issue with working with gas is always having that doubt that I did something wrong and gas would be leaking into my home about to blow my family up.
Guitarsoup
AG
bonfarr said:

Guitarsoup said:

bonfarr said:

Sea Speed said:

bonfarr said:

BenTheGoodAg said:

bonfarr said:

My issue with working with gas is always having that doubt that I did something wrong and gas would be leaking into my home about to blow my family up.
Totally reasonable You can get Natural gas detectors for like $20.
double b
AG
Recently replaced my 40 gal tank with a high efficiency RHEEM tankless for $2500.
RightWingConspirator
AG
I just paid $5500 for a Rinnai unit. We are now tankless. We're in the Conroe/The Woodlands area.
jpd301
AG
My plumber pulled a permit from my city for water heater replacements when I had mine done a few years back. Paid about 3400 for two 50 gal + code upgrades etc

In addition to the expansion tank and other code upgrades right at the water heaters the inspector checked the entire house for CO detectors in or outside each bedroom. It was part of the City code related to the fact that its a gas water heater.

We had an air mattress blown up in our study t day inspector came and he considered that room a bedroom as a result and made us install an additional CO detector which made me have to get a second inspection after I had put one in. Wouldn't let me just drag the air mattress out of the room. Ugh...
El_duderino
Just went through this as well. 50 gallon electric for $530 from lowes and maybe 2 hours start to finish for the install including the time to drain the tank. Didn't even bother calling for a quote since it's 3 connections and 2 wires.
Guitarsoup
AG
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.