Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Are Cedars Dying?

4,274 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Burn-It
TellMeMore
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Seems alot of Cedar trees (evergreen in any case) seem to be turning brown, and size and age don't seem to be a factor. Anyone else notice? I there a cause I haven't heard about?
Picard
AG
Only if you believe in miracles

gabehcoud
I dont subscribe but found this from Oct 27, 2023

https://wacotrib.com/news/local/neil-sperry-biblical-drought-accounts-for-record-loss-of-cedar-trees-this-year/article_07751e20-72a1-11ee-a5eb-ebe8928991f9.html
discobrob
AG
I sure hope so.
Moral High Horse
tree91
AG
I'm seeing several dying around my ranch, and I know of others who have, too. It is very unusual.
rancher1953
I have also several dying on my ranch located in Austin County.
Whitetail
AG
Fire hazard.
TxAg20
AG
I have several large ones dying around my place. I'm not sure what's killing them, but I'll be happy if they all die. I haven't seen any small ones dying naturally, but I have a hand with a chainsaw taking a few hundred small ones out each day.
p_bubel
The recent drought has made them susceptible to secondary parasites and diseases.

"The trees are under such severe stress that it takes one little additional factor like a cedar bark beetle to push the tree into mortality,"

lawless89
It's pretty wild to see here in Brazos county all of the brown cedars now that everything else is turning green.
drred4
Have some monster cedars that have died. Gonna take them down and maybe mill them or use for something. brazos county.
rolling_ridgeag05
Haven't confirmed but have heard from multiple people that if they died from the cedar bark Beatles than chipping them up will keep the insects around longer. Best way to dispose is to burn.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Is the general cedar hate for all species? I understand the cedar fever that just happened the last few months, but what is the overall hatred for them from? Neil Sperry is a fan and recommends Eastern Red Cedars.
The Dog Lord
AG
I believe they're also very thirsty trees which exacerbates some of our water issues.
TxAg20
AG
The cedar I'm referring to is actually Ashe Juniper. It's very invasive in the hill country and a very thirsty, yet durable, tree.

Many people in the hill country whine about groundwater depletion and blame human population growth while ignoring the ashe juniper problem.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Thanks, I had read some things about that. I also have read some other material stating that idea is way overblown and almost a myth that keeps getting fed with misinformation.
bam02
AG
I think it's a myth. Doesn't make sense to me.
Dufflepud
Lots of dead cedars on our land in SE Burleson county - big and small. The yaupons also had a big die back and almost none that survived had berries last year.
TxAg20
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

Thanks, I had read some things about that. I also have read some other material stating that idea is way overblown and almost a myth that keeps getting fed with misinformation.

I have no formal education in the matter of Ashe Juniper and their consumption of water, but this research shows Ashe Juniper to consume about 70% more water vs Live Oak.
https://texnat.tamu.edu/library/symposia/juniper-ecology-and-management/ecophysiology-and-growth-of-ashe-and-redberry-juniper/#:~:text=A%20mature%20Ashe%20juniper%20tree,about%2019%20gallons%20per%20day.

In my area, Ashe Juniper will naturally propagate to saturation and choke out pre-existing oak trees.

Anecdotally, I have a creek that would only flow after a substantial rain. I cleared 95+% of the Ashe Juniper within the creek and about 50' on either side. The creek now flows continuously. Flow will get down to a few gallons per minute if we don't have any rain for several weeks, but the creek bottom now keeps a pool of water where it would go bone dry prior to Ashe Juniper clearing.
Burn-It
AG
I've got very few junipers on our property that appear healthy. Most look dead, lots of big trunks about to be turned into furniture & fireplace mantles.

I'm experimenting with charring some cut up trunks on the outside of my burn pile to see how they turn out when milled.
AKA 13-0
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.