Furniture Brands- Sofas

2,618 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by tgivaughn
Max06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm in the market for a new sofa set. Current ones are 20+ year old Bassett and it's time for an upgrade.

Anyone have a brand they love (or hate)?
howdyags12!
AG
My Flexsteel leather furniture has held up very well.
Texker
AG
+1 Flexsteel. We've had a Clayton Marcus loveseat for years that's held up well. Not sure how their quality is now.

Parents have a sectional from The Leather Sofa Company that's very sturdy. Made in Texas.
1988PA-Aggie
Wife and I bought Ethan Allen couch and love seat set a few years ago.

I went in with preconceived notions..."it's way too expensive". Was proved wrong. We priced two other places for comparable sets, easily chose the EA and very happy. We got the set in 6 weeks, they said 8-10. Just about all of Ethan Allen is American made, some parts made in Mexico.

Wait, there's more...they provide in-house design service, for free! They will come to your house, measure, offer design tips. Yes, they are trying (very lightly) to upsell you on other things, but getting free design just in case you are in need of a few more things (lighting, area rugs, tables) was helpful.
DallasAggie89
AG
We just bought a Lovesac and love it. Pricey, but very comfortable.
Matsui
AG
Another vote for Ethan Allan
evan_aggie
AG
Palliser makes a decent couch. My wife made us buy an Arhaus L shaped couch.

$$$$ but seems well made.
FatZilla
AG
Ashley Branded recliners and end tables has been good for me. Plus being able to go in and see them first before buying is nice.

If you have an American Furniture Warehouse near you, stop in there. Great deals and they carry a lot of different brands.
Max06
AG
We ended up settling on a set from Havertys.

We looked at Rooms To Go and La-Z-Boy as well but the quality did not seem nearly as good.
ForeverAg
AG
We just ordered a new ottoman from Basset, I've never bought anything from there but I am convinced they are pretty good quality furniture.

We also have had tremendous success with a flex steel couch that is about 10 years old.

Brands I can't stand, La-z-boy, they appeared to still be stuck in the 1990's and I went in looking for a recliner and they all felt nearly the same thing. Over stuffed, over padded, non modern or transitional chairs with horrible lines and extremely pricey for the perceived quality.
tgivaughn
AG
Those savy in the construction biz drool over Amish Made Furniture BUT $$$$$$$$$$$$
regardless of "forever" tags boasted.
IMHO and am sticking to it
h1ag
AG
tgivaughn said:

Those savy in the construction biz drool over Amish Made Furniture BUT $$$$$$$$$$$$
regardless of "forever" tags boasted.
Maybe it's just my experience, but those Amish furniture stores seem like a big marketing scheme relative to the price and expectation. In every Amish furniture store I've been to, everything is just screwed together standard stuff, but with hard wood instead of MDF cores. The kind of stuff you see on Ana White, for any amateur furniture builders on here.

I was hoping to see big burly hand cut mortise and tenons that last until the wood disintegrates, and this stuff wasn't that. It was more "pretty good furniture, but not heirloom."

That said, I've heard amazing reports from people who drove up a uhaul to central PA, so again, it could just be my experience.
javajaws
AG
ForeverAg said:

Brands I can't stand, La-z-boy, they appeared to still be stuck in the 1990's and I went in looking for a recliner and they all felt nearly the same thing. Over stuffed, over padded, non modern or transitional chairs with horrible lines and extremely pricey for the perceived quality.
Yeah I really don't get them. I love a recliner and even like lots of cushion. But their styling is majority 1980's. I don't get why they don't update their stuff so somebody less than 80 would want it in their home.
tgivaughn
AG
I agree! Not all Amish is true and real, we are lucky to have an outlet in Aggieland but out of MY price range.
hoosier-daddy
Very disappointed in my La-Z Boy purchases. Quality isn't there for the price. 2 recliners and 2 sofas bought in 2019. Issues with all of them. So much for buying USA.
damynair
I'm a huge fan of FAINA Design. At the moment, I only own one of their stunning lamps, but I can't help but dream of adding one of their exquisite sofas to my collection someday. There's just something so captivating about their design aesthetic that sets them apart from the rest.
tgivaughn
AG
https://store.hermanmiller.com/furniture?lang=en_US

well, what did you expect from me?
tgivaughn
AG
haha good to hear your opinion haha
gotta pass this on ala
"the emperor has no clothes" (from the fable)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.