Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Remodeling my wife's grandparents old house

52,036 Views | 213 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by MoreCushing4thePushing
c-jags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
msechelski said:

one MEEN Ag said:

I've recently started using this method and it hasn't steered me wrong yet.

If you're a weekend warrior trying to get work done on nights and weekends a project will take twice as long and as well as increase in units to get it done.

So a 'one hour' job is actually going to take two days to get it completely done from start to finish. A project that will take a full week of work will take two months to get it fully finished.

It might seem excessive, but when you consider busy lives and trying to spend time with family beyond just working on projects, its about right.

I demo'd the house myself. I originally thought 2 weeks, and took about 6. I've had crews here to put it back together. The hold up is always some special order item (windows, siding, appliances, wall paper) that I ordered outside of their wheelhouse and we have to wait on it.

My dad bought a house when I was in 5th grade and did everything himself except the cabinets. He spent every free minute he had in that house, except for Sundays when he spent time with us. We didn't move into it until I was a junior in high school.

My dad started building the house I grew up in and they still live in in 81 before I was born. They moved in right before I was born. It was a concrete floor till I was about 2. Drywalled ceilings until my dad plastered them when I was 4 or so.

I was too young to really remember most of it but I look back at pictures I realized it wasn't really complete till I was 6.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Taping and floating got done. Texture guy came, and we opted for a hand/skip trowel texture. The lines aren't real pronounced. You almost have to shine a light on the walls for the lines to create a shadow in order to see them. We're happy with it. I think maybe cabinets are next.

aggie2812-2
AG
What windows did you go with? Looking to update the windows during our rehab.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
aggie2812-2 said:

What windows did you go with? Looking to update the windows during our rehab.

Lincoln Windows. Casement wood interior and aluminum clad exterior.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Doors and trim came in today
TXTransplant
c-jags said:

msechelski said:

one MEEN Ag said:

I've recently started using this method and it hasn't steered me wrong yet.

If you're a weekend warrior trying to get work done on nights and weekends a project will take twice as long and as well as increase in units to get it done.

So a 'one hour' job is actually going to take two days to get it completely done from start to finish. A project that will take a full week of work will take two months to get it fully finished.

It might seem excessive, but when you consider busy lives and trying to spend time with family beyond just working on projects, its about right.

I demo'd the house myself. I originally thought 2 weeks, and took about 6. I've had crews here to put it back together. The hold up is always some special order item (windows, siding, appliances, wall paper) that I ordered outside of their wheelhouse and we have to wait on it.

My dad bought a house when I was in 5th grade and did everything himself except the cabinets. He spent every free minute he had in that house, except for Sundays when he spent time with us. We didn't move into it until I was a junior in high school.

My dad started building the house I grew up in and they still live in in 81 before I was born. They moved in right before I was born. It was a concrete floor till I was about 2. Drywalled ceilings until my dad plastered them when I was 4 or so.

I was too young to really remember most of it but I look back at pictures I realized it wasn't really complete till I was 6.
My parents built the house I grew up in, too. If I'm not mistaken, they did everything but the sheetrock. It was a passive-solar house with a breezeway through the middle of the house and nothing but sliding glass doors on the south-facing side.

My mom did dishes in the upstairs bathtub for something like a year or 18 months before my dad got around to putting in the kitchen sink. The stairs up to the second floor didn't have a railing until my sister fell over the side. We had particle-board sub-floor in the downstairs for years.

We got a pool in the backyard before we got central heat and air. Around the time I was in 7th or 8th grade, we moved out for a while so my parents could "finish" the house. They put in a heat pump at that point because the humidity was a losing battle.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Finally finished planing all the old wood floors, and started putting it on the ceiling.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Things are moving at a snails pace right now. Most interior doors are installed and some trim work. Wood ceilings are up, and need to be sealed. Biggest PITA ever, but worth it. Cabinets should be coming tomorrow. Ready to be done with this.

MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
We got a front door. As slow as things are, I'll take a picture of anything at this point. Cabinets started getting delivered yesterday afternoon.

MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Cabinets started going in today. Pictures of mudroom and kids bathroom

MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Kitchen

MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Laundry room

MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Master bedroom. Excuse the safe blocking the light. We're using an exotic wood in the master bathroom, and still waiting on the wood to come in before the cabinets are built.

Aggietaco
AG
That ceiling is nails. Great job and great vision in re-use of materials.
c-jags
vmiaptetr said:

Master bedroom. Excuse the safe blocking the light. We're using an exotic wood in the master bathroom, and still waiting on the wood to come in before the cabinets are built.

Congrats. Cabinets was the first real "this might actually happen sometime soon" moment I had.
kcag96
AG
Update?
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Not a whole lot going on. Painters came by today to prep for painting and staining. Foundation guys came and level some ground for the carport addition we decided to do. Nothing picture worthy.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
They put the framing boards around where the carport slab will be laid. Also adding a walkway to the front door. When painting happens, the brick will be painted white and the door will be painted the current color of the brick. Not a fan of the brick color, but the wife wants something pink on the exterior for sentimental reasons. The door stays natural on the interior.

lotsofhp
AG
This is all so beautiful. Congratulations on all of it. You're the man.

If you ever wanted to, you could sell that place for an absolute mint.

But then again, as Johnny Dutton said on the pilot episode of Yellowstone, "Leverage is knowing that if someone had all the money in the work, this is what they would buy"
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Getting some painting and staining done. Most of the house is white, but there are some rooms that are bold. Those lines should smooth out once the paint dries.

billyjack2009
Love the color and can't take my eyes off that ceiling.
c-jags
It took me a second to realize the OP changed their name.

Looking great love the ceilings.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Got the carport slab and front walkway laid. Working on framing it up.

SPF250
AG
That tree bothers me.
Fairview
AG
May as well save some money and get that car port framed in now while the guys are there because you know that you eventually will to have the ultimate workshop/garage.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Haha. I had a big branch trimmed off. Got the rest of the stump off so the bark can grow over it. Think I might use a piece of it to make a cutting board or something.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I was pretty adamant about not closing it in as a garage. If it has walls, my wife will use it as storage. There is an old dairy barn that I'm floating a few ideas about converting it to. Maybe a workshop. Maybe a guest house. I mistakenly told my son we should turn it into an indoor pool with a retractable roof.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
It's up. Still needs the roof, paint and stain.

Aggietaco
AG
That's a helluva carport.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
And I'm sure my wife will treat it like our bed. I can buy the biggest bed in the world, and I'm only going to get 1 ft. of space from the edge.
Aggietaco
AG
vmiaptetr said:

And I'm sure my wife will treat it like our bed. I can buy the biggest bed in the world, and I'm only going to get 1 ft. of space from the edge.
The trick is to get there first and fall asleep in the middle. So, have at least 2 project vehicles and stake your claim my man.
SPF250
AG
vmiaptetr:
Left my BIL's house last weekend. Pulled out on the highway and, "Ha! I know that house!" Only got a quick glimpse but it looks good from the road.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Finally got my brick painted. Shoutout to Aggie_Family4 for mentioning Romabio paint in another thread. That is definitely the paint for masonry.

MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Pics of the back and inside accent wall (previous exterior wall before addition)

billyjack2009
WOWOWOW

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.