Passive garage ventilation

4,009 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Fife
G. hirsutum Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can't remember if I've talked about this before but I've had this idea for some time.

My garage door faces almost straight south and catches a lot of sun throughout the day. If I leave the door cracked 6-12" everything stays much cooler in the garage as well as in the house. I notice my t-stat stays a degree or two cooler and seems like it reaches temperature faster when it kicks on in the afternoon in the middle of summer. I keep my attic door cracked open as well. So in theory the cooler air down low will be pulled into the garage and the warmer air will go up into the attic space and out the vents in the roof. The problem is it is a pain the butt to crack the garage door open using the clicker in my truck because it doesn't respond that fast and I can't get it just right, and my wife forgets to crack it.

My idea is to just put a few vents on the bottom of the garage door permanently. There is a company called windeevent that makes a product just for this but they are $150 which is insane. I think I could just put two $3 soffit vents in my garage door to do the exact same thing. Would that actually get the job done? What about security, could someone just kick in those vents easily? My biggest concern is hurricanes. We live close to the coast and with a south facing door how would that hold up with 70-80 mph winds? I've heard of roofs coming off because a garage door opened up. Would putting in a louvered vent like an AC vent be better so I could close it if the winds get up? Am I dumb for wanting to do this?
n_touch
I have looked into this as well since the washer and dryer are in the garage and it gets so humid during the summer. I think the vents they sell are worth it. They look nice and it seems that they would be safer than just the flimsy soffit vent guards. The other thing is you are able to open and close the vent as needed with the higher dollar option versus just having it always vented.
87IE
AG
For the summer months why don't you just adjust the travel on your garage door opener to not close all the way?

You should have 2 adjustment screws on the opener to limit up or down travel.

That won't be a suitable solution if you don't want it cracked at night but you won't have to time using your remote or worry about the wife forgetting. You can also change the adjustment if you know a storm is coming.
TSJ
AG
A coworker of mine doubled up some of the mylar backed styrofoam sheets into each section of his garage door. He said it kept the garage much cooler when he was work on his project car. Plus you don't have to you door open.
water turkey
They sell garage door insulation kits. Looks pretty easy to install.
The Fife
TSJ said:

A coworker of mine doubled up some of the mylar backed styrofoam sheets into each section of his garage door. He said it kept the garage much cooler when he was work on his project car. Plus you don't have to you door open.
This is what I came here to recommend.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.