Neighbors who don't want to split...

4,505 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by gigemJTH12
Broncos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
the cost of replacing the fence that divides your backyards suck.

(End of rant)
TP Ag '87
AG
I'd say EFF them, do it anyway and put all ugly side facing them.
Jill
AG
My neighbor just recently replaced the fence without asking us to help pay. Good neighbor.
dodger02
AG
No. Neighbors who agree to replacing the fence and splitting the cost just to then tell you "we've changed our minds" when you take them the bill suck worse.
Vernada
AG
Just because you want the fence replaced doesn't mean your neighbors do.... I'd just consider it a bonus if they decided to chip in.
Broncos
If only that were true. They want it replaced. They just don't want to pay for it.
redag06
I share a fence with 5 people. One neighbor even has a shadow box fence.

Dreading that day.
OnlyForNow
AG
Just give them the stringer side and don't give them the flat side.
UmustBKidding
Didn't we just do this. Thought the decision was to built 6" inside your property line and tell them you will never get permission to tie on to it.
dubi
AG
Build it 6" on your property line and leave the old crappy fence up!
bam02
AG
Do them they spend an afternoon tearing down the old fence and gain 6" more backyard across the whole length???
UmustBKidding
6" gap on both sides not a very useful fence for them.
Can trench in a root block under your new fence and plant bamboo in the 6" you own on the other side for extra effect.

dubi
AG
UmustBKidding said:

Can trench in a root block concrete under your new fence and plant bamboo in the 6" you own on the other side for extra effect.

FIFY
Gigemags05
AG
This is what I'd do. Tearing the old fence down is a pain anyways.
Agmechanic
AG
Rip it down and put up electric fence
oldschool87
AG
Broncos said:

the cost of replacing the fence that divides your backyards suck.

(End of rant)
Do board on board, leave every board on board off... I promise you it would not bother me, but will bother the crap out of your neighbor...

If this does not make sense to you, please leave it alone.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
dubi said:

Build it 6" on your property line and leave the old crappy fence up!
Awesome solution!
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
if the old fence has to be removed because it fell or whatever just make sure to build it entirely on your property by about 6 inches , if you have a dog or cat, place their feces on the cheap neighbors side of the fence inside your property line and do so until they pay their half of the fence.
AW 1880
AG
This may be a dumb question but why do folks prefer to have the "good" side of the fence facing inward? Ice always thought it would be best to have the "ugly" side facing inward.

Also, any thoughts on average cost per foot for six foot privacy fence with metal posts and rot board?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
i actually prefer having the stringers so it was easier to climb and look over
FincAg
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

i actually prefer having the stringers so it was easier to climb and look over

I think the previous owners of our place were a bit paranoid/protective. All our fencing have the stringers on inside. We are a corner lot with an alley behind, so only share a fence with our neighbor to the side and they have the smooth side as well.

I feel like they didn't want people to be able to climb easily.
johnrth
I'm hoping to replace my fence soon and haven't contacted the neighbors yet about it. I have 2 back neighbors. One would have to pay about $120 and the other about $50. Hopefully they don't complain too much. I agree I'd have the stringers on my side. My old house had the fence set up so that every other 8ft length had a stringer on your side.
Ulrich
I am about to replace my fence. It touches 6 neighbors. Gonna end up spending way too much time sorting that out.

Cul-de-sac life.
histag10
AG
Ulrich said:

I am about to replace my fence. It touches 6 neighbors. Gonna end up spending way too much time sorting that out.

Cul-de-sac life.

That's how my house in college was. Everyone pretty much just had their own fence that backed into everyone else's fence. It was a pita, but no neighbors to bicker with
Gigemags05
AG
The very worst looking fences there are are the ones where they alternate good side vs stringer side. Horrible idea.

Also, I love having a neighbor who prefers the stringer side. I get the good side with no fuss. 6ft isn't going to keep anyone from looking in no matter which side faces which. Only reason to purposely place the stringers to the yard is if the other side is visible to the public.
The Fife
I haven't done the suburbia thing in a while now and always wondered, why don't people just add pickets to the other side of the stringers so they get a "good" side too? Not worth their time/expense? Too many paper wasp nests get built in the gap between the sets of pickets?
Ulrich
Because people only care about stringer vs no stringer until they have to pay for a double fence. I want the smooth side, but only to make weed eating easier.
Broncos
dubi said:

UmustBKidding said:

Can trench in a root block concrete under your new fence and plant bamboo in the 6" you own on the other side for extra effect.

FIFY

Ha! This could be fun.
hurricanejake02
AG
The Fife said:

I haven't done the suburbia thing in a while now and always wondered, why don't people just add pickets to the other side of the stringers so they get a "good" side too? Not worth their time/expense? Too many paper wasp nests get built in the gap between the sets of pickets?
This was done at my parents' old house - the entire fence turns into a den for mice, and, due to lack of sun/wind exposure to the inside to dry it out, the fence stays wet and rots prematurely.
Bird93
AG
My neighbors recognize the need for a new fence; but unfortunately, they don't have the money to share in the replacement costs. But since they're good people, they offered to do all the demo of the old fence. It'll take a lot more time than I'd prefer, but I'm gonna let them do it because I know they're proud people, and it'll help them feel like they're contributing (which they are).
gigemJTH12
AG
Bird93 said:

My neighbors recognize the need for a new fence; but unfortunately, they don't have the money to share in the replacement costs. But since they're good people, they offered to do all the demo of the old fence. It'll take a lot more time than I'd prefer, but I'm gonna let them do it because I know they're proud people, and it'll help them feel like they're contributing (which they are).
good bull, Bird.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.