Mulch - best quality for best price?

2,902 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Vernada
aggyag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm located in Houston and looking to add all new mulch to my front flower beds. Would like to get this done before weather cools down. I have seen diff types of mulch at Lowes and Ace for around $3-$4 per bag (2 cubic ft). I am not sure if these are good brands and/or if that is a good deal.
Any recommendations of good quality mulch at those prices?
aezmvp
Are you doing rubber or real?
maverick12
AG
I really like the cedar mulch from Austin Wood Recycling at Lowes. Can't recall how much it is per bag, but it doesn't break the bank. I prefer it to the bulk cedar I have bought locally from landscapers.
rebel06
AG
We used Living Earth here in Dallas and it looks like they have several locations in Houston. Highly recommend them.

http://livingearth.net
aggyag
I plan on using real mulch. How much per bag is Living Earth ?
DeBoss
AG
Most local nurseries should carry bulk mulch. I paid $25 for an entire truck bed.
rebel06
AG
I think I paid around $60 to fill up my entire truck bed but I believe they have smaller bags you can buy.
The Fife
rebel06 said:

I think I paid around $60 to fill up my entire truck bed but I believe they have smaller bags you can buy.
Is that in bags? It runs $25 to fill my longbed up with their front end loader from a local landscape supply place.
Throwout
AG
If you can buy it by the truck bed at a local landscape supply company, go that route. It's a ton cheaper. As mentioned earlier, they'll dump the bucket of a front end loader (approx. 1 cubic yard) into the back of your truck. Depending on the type you want, prices for a yard will be anywhere from $20 to $40.
rebel06
AG
It may have been less than $60. Just going off the top of my head.
Ikanizer
AG
I always wait for the leaves to fall off the trees before I put down mulch in the fall.
BrazosDog02
AG
I buy mine in Brenham from the municipal facility. I buy a couple of tons at a time for my garden. IT'S about 20 bucks a ton.

Check it out. Dont get screwed and over think this. It's mulch . For me, one ton fills about 5x8x3 feet in a trailer.
Vernada
AG
If you have a truck buy bulk from Living Earth.

I hated messing with the bagged stuff.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.