Youtube Golf Thread

10,496 Views | 101 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by Unemployed
boy09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bob Does Sports and BustaJack are pretty much the only ones i still watch regularly. I'll throw in an occasional Rick Shiels video.

Surprised so many people have Good Good ranked so highly. Garrett has absolutely zero personality, and the other guys are mostly just annoying. Grant and Micah made the right call leaving.
MW03
AG
boy09 said:

Surprised so many people have Good Good ranked so highly. Garrett has absolutely zero personality, and the other guys are mostly just annoying. Grant and Micah made the right call leaving.

I have a young kid that plays golf. It was hard to find stuff to put on the TV that would entertain him and me, and there's only so much Dude Perfect a person can stand. Anyway, we found Good Good and it was a godsend. No cursing, no drinking, no killing, just guys showing how golf could be fun among friends. Perfect thing to put on for him with enough there for me too.

Fast forward and they do their first putter release and a meet up. I grab a reservation and pack my kiddo up to go meet them. He's excited to meet the funny guy that does flips (Matt). I don't know what I was expecting, but it was swamped. Keep in mind this was like two years ago, and there was a line maybe 250 people long waiting to get. We had a set time, so it wasn't a big deal for us, but as I'm standing there, I'm hearing people talk about driving in from Alabama, Florida, Utah, Colorado, etc. just to be at the event and meet the guys. It blew my mind. I'm sitting here thinking that this was going to be an in and out deal. I clearly did not understand the thrust of Youtube Golf or social media influencers.

Anyway, our time slot opens up and we walk up to the area where they all were. They all couldn't have been nicer to my son. The autographed his hat, took pictures, talked to him. They were cool with me, too. I joked with Bubbie about shoes and why he was playing in air force ones. Talked with pretty much all of them over the course of a 5-7 minute interaction. At one point, I was standing with Garrett and I just told him that I appreciated the content, that it was always positive and uplifting, and that I could put it on for my son and I to enjoy with no worries at all. He gave me this heartfelt response about how they really want to encourage golfers, and in particular young kids, and that it has been his goal to make golf fun for everyone, which was the impetus for doing trick shots to start out. My kid walks up during this point for Garrett's signature, and Garrett is talking with him and he fishes out a prototype of the Good Good golf ball out of his pocket and gives it to my son, and of course the kid is over the moon.

I was pretty impressed by all of them. No ego. No big timing. None of that. I think they all would have talked as long as I would have wanted had the press team not called time for the pictures. I took my kid over and bought some gear from their shop primarily to support their cause. I've purchased a handful of polos and Qzips since then for the same reason.

All of this to say that I get the appeal. They aren't making videos for me, but they are entertaining enough to keep my attention. I'd agree that I've watched less since the gang broke up, but I still watch a fair amount. Doesn't seem to be a problem for them, considering they have like 1.5MM subscribers. Heck, Garrett by himself has 1MM on his personal channel.

I'm sure some of them have developed egos by now along with their success. That being said, that interaction that day cemented Good Good as good dudes in my mind.
E
AG
boy09 said:

I'm not a fan of GoodGood for the same reason, there is just not much there for me. The few times I have seen their stuff, only Bubbie seemed cool.

I think they appeal to the much younger kids, not the 21-40 crowd like BDS & Foreplay.
98Ag99Grad
AG
That's a great story. Thanks for sharing. Always nice to hear when a "celebrity" is normal in person like that. I'm not exactly heir target age (47) but I do enjoy their videos sometimes.
NColoradoAG
MW03 said:

boy09 said:

I have a young kid that plays golf. It was hard to find stuff to put on the TV that would entertain him and me, and there's only so much Dude Perfect a person can stand. Anyway, we found Good Good and it was a godsend. No cursing, no drinking, no killing, just guys showing how golf could be fun among friends. Perfect thing to put on for him with enough there for me too.

Fast forward and they do their first putter release and a meet up. I grab a reservation and pack my kiddo up to go meet them. He's excited to meet the funny guy that does flips (Matt). I don't know what I was expecting, but it was swamped. Keep in mind this was like two years ago, and there was a line maybe 250 people long waiting to get. We had a set time, so it wasn't a big deal for us, but as I'm standing there, I'm hearing people talk about driving in from Alabama, Florida, Utah, Colorado, etc. just to be at the event and meet the guys. It blew my mind. I'm sitting here thinking that this was going to be an in and out deal. I clearly did not understand the thrust of Youtube Golf or social media influencers.

Anyway, our time slot opens up and we walk up to the area where they all were. They all couldn't have been nicer to my son. The autographed his hat, took pictures, talked to him. They were cool with me, too. I joked with Bubbie about shoes and why he was playing in air force ones. Talked with pretty much all of them over the course of a 5-7 minute interaction. At one point, I was standing with Garrett and I just told him that I appreciated the content, that it was always positive and uplifting, and that I could put it on for my son and I to enjoy with no worries at all. He gave me this heartfelt response about how they really want to encourage golfers, and in particular young kids, and that it has been his goal to make golf fun for everyone, which was the impetus for doing trick shots to start out. My kid walks up during this point for Garrett's signature, and Garrett is talking with him and he fishes out a prototype of the Good Good golf ball out of his pocket and gives it to my son, and of course the kid is over the moon.

I was pretty impressed by all of them. No ego. No big timing. None of that. I think they all would have talked as long as I would have wanted had the press team not called time for the pictures. I took my kid over and bought some gear from their shop primarily to support their cause. I've purchased a handful of polos and Qzips since then for the same reason.

All of this to say that I get the appeal. They aren't making videos for me, but they are entertaining enough to keep my attention. I'd agree that I've watched less since the gang broke up, but I still watch a fair amount. Doesn't seem to be a problem for them, considering they have like 1.5MM subscribers. Heck, Garrett by himself has 1MM on his personal channel.

I'm sure some of them have developed egos by now along with their success. That being said, that interaction that day cemented Good Good as good dudes in my mind.
Thats a really good story. I noticed last night watching the Desert Open that those guys were the exact same way with the fans there. At one point late in the round there was a producer hollering at people to move and get out of the way of Garrett and Grant's cart. They just kept taking pictures and signing things until people left. The couldnt have cared less about that producer trying to hustle them along. They seemed very genuine.
MW03
AG
Unemployed
AG
David_Puddy
AG
MW03 said:

Apparently, those times are so late because this is being played at a Par 3 lighted course. Significantly less interested now. Supposedly it's a tune up since a lot of those guys were in town for the WM anyway with designs on doing a full tournament at some time.

I only watched a little of it due to this reason. I want to see a full 18 hole par 72 course. Luckily we will get that in June when they host at that Dye course in French Lick
David_Puddy
AG
boy09 said:

Bob Does Sports and BustaJack are pretty much the only ones i still watch regularly. I'll throw in an occasional Rick Shiels video.

I disagree completely & think Garrett is awesome. Other than the pros,he's by far the best player and there isn't a close second. I like to watch good golf & he provides that. He's got an awesome series going now where he plays (and is highly competitive) against top ranked D1 players. He's got a lot more personality than someone like Micah.
tlfw378
AG
I met Matt from Good Good in the Houston airport on my return from Ireland. He actually beat me to the carousel and took my bag off. He read the tag and realized that the bag was not his. I was right there and spent a few seconds to ask about where he was coming from and where was he going. He was tired as much as me, but he couldn't have been nicer. I don't watch Good Good as much as I used to, except Luke or a specific match. I do watch Bryan Bros. I watch more YouTube golf content than any regular PGA event. Only watch the majors last day as a rule.
boy09
AG
MW03 said:

boy09 said:

That's fair. Dude Perfect is a really good comparison now that you mention it. It's just not for me i guess.

Quote:

He's got a lot more personality than someone like Micah.
A 2x4 has more personality than Micah
Unemployed
AG
David_Puddy said:

boy09 said:

I disagree completely & think Garrett is awesome. Other than the pros,he's by far the best player and there isn't a close second. I like to watch good golf & he provides that. He's got an awesome series going now where he plays (and is highly competitive) against top ranked D1 players. He's got a lot more personality than someone like Micah.

Grant Horvat is pretty good.
MW03
AG
RogerFurlong said:

MW03 said:

I'm watching now. Pretty well put together from a conceptual standpoint. Professional commentaries, but also better on cart cams.

82k online watching live. Not bad at all
Francis was cracking me up with all his commentary, pretty funny watching him talk crap about Steve.

Nice "behind the scenes" vid from Foreplay

98Ag99Grad
AG
Some good videos right now on Bryan Bros and Horvat with Rahm if you want to see some good golf played
Southside AG
AG
Good recommendation, those are long videos but really cool to see that side of Rham.
Ag_in_Moscow
That was a very interesting side of Rahm to see. He delivers good-natured trash talk so deadpan that for a bit it's hard to tell if he's actually serious or not, then he smiles or otherwise lets on that its all in good fun a few moments later. He looks like he would be a blast to play a round with.
tamu2009
AG
Grant was electric in the Bryan bros vid with rahm. 2 hole outs for eagle in the first 2 holes in front of rahm was insane.
Thisguy1
I haven't watched a ton of their new stuff, but Grant has always seemed like the best golfer of the bunch.
E
AG
The Bob Does Sports & Rick Shiels 36 Pints of Guinness Challenge was a pretty good watch

Fun fact... the Good Good Deset Open has more then twice the views of the last LIV Tournament
NColoradoAG
We had Robby Berger do a Cameo for a bachelor party last weekend. Did a pretty solid job.
Hanrahan
AG
BDS and bryan bros have solid content. FP singlehandedly made BDS into an actual golf powerhouse. Without him its just two funny guys that suck at golf, at least FP adds some actual golf to the channel, and is hilarious in his own right. They have a lot of cross over with grant so I watch a lot of that now too.

I agree with others than don't like garrett. He is the least entertaining youtuber, has a not made for TV personality, and while he seems like a solid player, he doesn't seem to actually like to play on camera in front of anyone... just my opinion obviously, but seems others share it...
98Ag99Grad
AG
Rick Schiels 10 stroke challenge vs Sergio dropped today. Played at Spanish Oaks in Austin. I believe this was filmed in November.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Max Homa vs BDS, the rematch. New today.
AgBQ-00
AG
I enjoy The Average Golfer. He does a series called Off the Beaten Path, where he goes to some lesser known courses in the UK. Very well shot and a nice relaxing watch.
TXAGGIES
Bryan Bros had Rahm on a few videos, one with Grant. Rahm seems like a guy i would love playing with.
Ag_in_Moscow
TXAGGIES said:

Rahm seems like a guy i would love playing with.

I agree, and I was surprised by that. Rahm has such an intense game face come tournament time that I didn't expect him to be so much fun in a casual round. He quickly moved up my list of pros I like.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Wesley Bryan currently in second place in the opposite field event in the Domincan. One shot back early in round 3.
RogerFurlong
His film crew is flying down for his last round. Will be an awesome video if he wins. I'll be watching this over the rbc for sure.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Solo 2nd. Took a course record to keep him from winning. Still a great week for cash and FedEx points.
cab559
AG
Anyone watching the Q today?

Micah is shooting a high number. Not sure how that guy has a you tube following - he's not good and doesn't have any personality to go with it.
TecRecAg
AG
Being cousins with Garrett and getting in to Good Good did his YouTube career a ton of favors.

I'm not sure id say he's not good. He's probably beating 90% of golfers at your local muni on any given day
aggiebonzo
AG
George Bryan is head and shoulders above all the YT golfers as far as skill. I think he just lacks the dog mentality that his brother has on the course.
Unemployed
AG
aggiebonzo said:

George Bryan is head and shoulders above all the YT golfers as far as skill. I think he just lacks the dog mentality that his brother has on the course.
I like George but he doesn't have the mentality. Makes a lot of excuses and tries to convince himself that his bad shots are actually good.

Had a two shot lead going into the par 5 18rh and hit his 3rd shot into the water. Ended up losing in the playoff.
tamu2009
AG
That was a rough finish.

Not to pile on Micah but I thought he withdrew after 3 straight doubles. They quit showing him until he made an eagle on 14.
Unemployed
AG
tamu2009 said:

That was a rough finish.

Not to pile on Micah but I thought he withdrew after 3 straight doubles. They quit showing him until he made an eagle on 14.
Probably didn't want to show him on screen with those ridiculous highwater pants.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.