Finished My Golf Sim!

7,332 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by andrago94
andrago94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Finally finished converting an extra bedroom into a golf sim room. I have the Foresight GC2 with FSX software. Also bought the TGC software.

Room before I started. Ceilings are 9':

I put down 1/2" rubber flooring on top of some laminate floor underlayment to protect the wood floors:

I built the frame out of 1" Schedule 40 aluminum pipe and Kee Klamp aluminum fittings. The frame is suspended from joists in the ceiling. The screen folds up to the ceiling when not in use by a pulley system, so you can still enter the room thru the door. There is a second door to the room for entry when the screen is down.

The finished product. I have SynGreen artificial putting turf on the floor except for where the hitting mat is located.

I also have a TV mounted in the room for watching golf, or anything else while playing. Also bought an HTC Vive headset which is almost as cool as the golf sim.

Mr.Bond
AG
I have a chubby
simongalicia
AG
Looks fantastic!
Whoop04
How much could I expect to spend on a similar setup?
Mr.Bond
AG
quote:

Completely guessing here but I bet he spent at least 3k here. That may be low balling it too
andrago94
AG
It cost about $14,000. Here's a rough breakdown:

Foresight GC2 & FSX Software - $8,000
Gaming PC - $1,200
Putting Turf - $1,000
Rubber Flooring - $500
Projector - $900
Impact Screen & Frame - $1,000
TGC Software - $1,000
Hitting Mat - $400

SLF11
AG
Look out for the cats on the down swing.
BigHitterDaLama
That thing is a real pu ssy magnet......
BigHitterDaLama
quote:
quote:

Completely guessing here but I bet he spent at least 3k here. That may be low balling it too
You're doing my taxes next year.
Mr.Bond
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

You're doing my taxes next year.

Lmaooooo. A guy on here did a nice set up in that ballpark not too long ago I thought
beb06
AG
Looks great.

I finished mine about a month and a half ago and have used it basically every single day since.

Just FYI, I've been using Perfect Golf instead of TGC with my GC2. I've been really happy with it so far. Some great online tours via onlinegolftour.net.
att hello
Very nice!
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
andrago94
AG
I think it is really accurate. My good hits are a slight draw and that's exactly what the simulator shows when I hit one pure. A good buddy of mine hits a low ball with a slight fade and that's exactly what it shows for him. Distance wise it is spot on too. The only thing I am having problems with is driving. I think it is a function of really swinging thru the ball in a small room with a long club rather than anything with the simulator.

You can take the GC2 out to a driving range, which I plan to do this weekend to see if it is capturing my drives right.
andrago94
AG
I have seen nice setups in that price range. I could have saved a bunch by going with Skytrak instead of Foresight and using cheaper components for everything else.
bagger05
AG
I have a really hard time making anything resembling a "normal" driver swing indoors. Even in big simulator setups like at GolfTec or PGA Superstore.
Swollen Thumb
AG
quote:
quote:

I think you may have lost the show case showdown
Whoop04
Not if the other guy bet $0.
powerbelly
AG

quote:
think it is a function of really swinging thru the ball in a small room with a long club rather than anything with the simulator.
This would be my biggest fear.

Love the setup.
The Milkman
AG
So whens the Texags Golf Board party??
CapCity12thMan
AG
I'll bid $3,001 Bob
Yesterday
AG
Very sexy. Good choice on the GC2 as well. Those are very accurate. I have a hitting Matt and an impact screen with a very similar set up like you but thankfully I live on a golf course so no need for the simulator.
Gil Renard
beb06
AG
How are you liking the FSX and TGC software?

I just finished a golf sim in my garage using a GC2 a couple months ago and originally purchased TGC, but changed my mind and went with Perfect Golf instead. I'm liking it so far, but would be interested to get your thoughts on FSX and TGC.
andrago94
AG
On the FSX, I like the driving range feature and the ability to play from multiple tees. I find puting and shots around the green harder to judge versus TGC. Courses on FSX are very expensive as well.

TGC is cool with all of the courses, but the tees are fixed (unless I am missing something), so some courses can be really long.

I've thought about buying Perfect Golf, but have yet to pull the trigger.
beb06
AG
Thanks for the info.

Yes, as far as I understand TGC does not offer multiple tees. That's one of the main reasons I chose Perfect Golf originally. It's really helpful when my young kids want to play.

Nice thing about Perfect Golf is that it's a much cheaper entry point if you want to try it out, since it's a yearly subscription cost for sim users, versus a larger one-time purchase.
johnnypink
AG
I've lightly looked into these simulators. Does anybody know anything about the ES16? They advertise a turnkey simulator setup with everything you would need for $15,000. Is this a good deal or an inferior product? TIA
andrago94
AG
Don't know if anyone has seen this yet, but a new VR golf game for the HTC Vive just came out. It is called TGC VR which is the same as the TGC game for simulators. Since I also have an HTC Vive in my simulator room, I downloaded the game last night.

The game is really well done and has a lot of cool features like a GPS watch on your wrist and a yardage book that you pull out of your back pocket. It's not very realistic on distance as I was bombing my drives over 300 yds. It would be really great if they came out with a golf club controller to use with the game. Maybe something 2-3 feet long with a little weight to it.

Here's a video:

terradactylexpress
So I have a question.

That screen looks like it is pretty close to the wall, so I imagine it is rather tight to prevent you from Swiss cheesing your home. Do you end up playing dodgeball on the rebound?
andrago94
AG
The screen is about 15 inches from the back wall. It is actually a two ply screen with some canvas behind the white fabric. I think the screen deflects about 3 inches when it is hit and the ball drops straight down. I have a slow motion video of this. I have put two dents in the ceiling. Both times hitting driver with the ball teed up and hitting a moon shot. I need the top canopy to extend out another 6 inches or so.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.