****The Open****

16,627 Views | 228 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Harry Stone
agsalaska
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Man that was unbelievable.
Goat Man
AG
That was fun to watch. I was rooting for Phil but happy for the swede to get his first major. I am afraid I would have skipped Church today if not for DVR.
agsalaska
AG
I was rooting for Phil yesterday but for some reason today I started just going for birdies. I thought last year's PGA was the best non Tiger golf I had ever seen. This topped that, at least by the final two. Really exceptional.
bagger05
AG
Just got done watching. INCREDIBLE golf. How much do you think Mickelson would've bet that -6 today would've been good enough?

Stenson was SO clutch. Most fun I've had watching golf in a long time. Just incredible stuff from both of those guys.
AustinCountyAg
You could tell after the front nine that Henrik wasn't going to lose. He wanted it more than Phil
Goodfield Nohit
In what other major is it allowed for still photographers to take photos at 12 frames /second in someone's backswing?

That's ****ing bull****, and I don't care who won, they did it to both players.
BowhunterAg83
AG
Great golf!
best two day battle in golf history !
diehard03
quote:
You could tell after the front nine that Henrik wasn't going to lose. He wanted it more than Phil

And yet, after he holes out a crazy 50' putt to go up 2, we find ourselves wondering if Henrik will give it up when Phil is nicely on the green going for eagle and he's in the thick stuff.

I don't think it's a matter of wanting it more...it was a matter of one guy getting 1 more superhuman play than the other to take the championship. Great day of golf.

DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, Stenson ran in a few putts on the back that Mickelson didn't. That was largely the difference. The scramble for birdie on 16 while Mickelson's eagle putt made a hard left to stay out was absolutely huge. That wasn't willpower. That was just golf. Same with the drive on 18 that was a foot from disaster.
bdgol07
AG
I think I saw that the final group shot a best ball score of 59 today.

Absolutely crazy good golf
Mr.Bond
AG
quote:

Pretty absurd way to word this. Phil wanted it just as badly. Phil wins that tournament 99 percent of the time. He ran into a player who was in that 1 percent zone.
DannyDuberstein
AG
This isn't an NBA or hockey team locking down on defense with effort. "Wanting it more" has absolutely nothing to do with creating success in a final round of golf major. In fact, if anything, it can be detrimental. They both wanted it and both played in a manner that would have won almost any major.
Unemployed
AG
quote:
Phil just got beat by a better player today. He shot a -6 in the final round and you think he got beat because he didn't want to win as badly as Stenson?
t - cam
AG
quote:
quote:

Pretty absurd way to word this. Phil wanted it just as badly. Phil wins that tournament 99 percent of the time. He ran into a player who was in that 1 percent zone.

I'm pretty sure 17 under wins about 99% of majors. Sometimes you fall on the wrong side of history.
AustinCountyAg
Most of y'all are missing my point. My "wanted it more" comment was mainly me saying that it was becoming obvious (to me and the group of guys I was watching with, maybe not to some of you Phil lover boys) that Henrick was going to win. For as great as they were playing, it seemed like (to all of us) Henrick was going to find a way to win no matter how well Phil was playing.....it seemed like "he wanted it more" because he outplayed Phil and didn't back down all weekend, as evident by his scoring record. Me saying "wanted it more" was probably the wrong words. Simply making the point that to us he wasn't going to be beat after watching the front nine..... I apologize for all who's blood was pumping over my inappropriate language and offending comments

Not to mention both players were getting lucky breaks on the course so don't use that argument. That is part of golf.
jonj101
I understood what you were saying. Not being critical but even when I hear announcers make that statement I find it silly. It just seems like a stretch to try to explain something which boils down to one guy is playing better than the other one.

Its almost like an attempt to fabricate drama or trying to explain something in an unnecessarily epic fashion.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
Not to mention both players were getting lucky breaks on the course so don't use that argument. That is part of golf.

Well I've got my popcorn

AustinCountyAg
quote:
I understood what you were saying. Not being critical but even when I hear announcers make that statement I find it silly. It just seems like a stretch to try to explain something which boils down to one guy is playing better than the other one.

Its almost like an attempt to fabricate drama or trying to explain something in an unnecessarily epic fashion.

Yeah I can understand that
diehard03
quote:

it's golf too. Phil missed the cut @ Masters, US Open, Players, no wins this year...yet 3 2nd place finishes across 17 events (and 3 other top 10 finishes)...and went OFF at the Open....and the only reason he didn't win was because some other guy went crazy too.

It's tough to explain.
Harry Stone
AG
phil's last 2 runners up in majors have been to record performances. spieth tied tiger at -18 in the 2015 masters

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.