Laser Rangefinder

5,071 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Sazerac
AggieDruggist89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't use GPS or a Rangefinder while playing golf. Always felt I could tell the distance from 150 yards in. Though tall and short pins screw me up once in a while.

Every so often, playing with guys with GPS, they always blurt out...115 yards to the center.. and I can clearly see the pin is 90 yards away or 135 yards. Often times, I'm not even interested in how far it is to the center. I'm interested in how far is it to the pin, then where do I miss it.

I also find GPS golf app or devices aren't as accurate. But I think a laser rangefinder could be useful.

I started to research some and I see all different brands with a price range of $100 - $500.

I don't need anything fancy. I just need to know how far it is to a point I want to hit to or avoid.

Is one laser rangefinder better than the others?
Brenner
AG
I had a no-name rangefinder that I got from ****'s on a black Friday for ~$100, and I would suggest not doing that. It was reliable maybe 75% of the time, and when I would play with someone else that has one then it would show. If you go with a big name (Bushnell, Leupold, etc.) then you should be fine.
khaos288
AG
I bought this one when it was on sale for 100. It's an off brand that has been perfect for me 100% of the time.
BigHitterDaLama
Leupold GX-3i or the 4i.

Best on the market IMO.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Shi it.. 3 responses and 3 different answers

• Don't buy cheap
  • My cheap one works great
  • $400 best on the market recommendation

I was looking at Nikon Coolshot 20. About $170 on Amazon.
grego
AG
I've had a Bushnell Patriot for the last 4 years or so. Works great.
Mr.Bond
AG
quote:
Leupold GX-3i or the 4i.

Best on the market IMO.
LHIOB
AG
I have the Bushnell Pro 1600 and I love it. I bought it refurbished from Bushnell for around $200 about 4 years ago and Ive never had an issue with it.
BEaggie08
AG
I use a Garmin watch and like it for front, middle, back distances. With that information I can make the right club choice 90% of the time. I can also move the pin location around on the green and that is sometimes beneficial. I actually find that it is very accurate when comparing known points to a rangefinder. I'm not trying to convince you to get one. I hope you do whatever makes you happy. The GPS watch is strictly about convenience for me. Its always on me and I just have to look at it. A rangefinder is something else to keep up with, something I have to actively do, and something I'm personally less likely to use as much.

My playing partner uses this Bushnell Tour V3 Rangefinder Slope Patriot. It is pretty cool and has the slope feature, which is not authorized in tournament play, but it's nice when playing a course with elevation change for the first couple of times. It also vibrates when you get the pin, so you have confidence in your reading. With pace of play these days, he often just shoots the guy holding the pin while we wait.
Texmid
AG
I've had a Bushnell Yardage Pro 400 since 1999. It is very accurate and, as you can tell, very reliable. It was about $350 new. Spend the money on a good one, take care of it, and it will last.
boy09
AG
I picked up a Bushnell Hybrid Rangefinder/GPS a couple of months ago when it was on sale for $200. It's a great rangefinder, haven't really used the GPS at all.

I've got friends who have the Tour V3 and the Tour Z6 Jolt, both are great. Another friend has a Leupold PinCaddie 2, it's ok.. Kind of difficult to hit pins over ~150 yards.
gravy97
AG
I have the Bushnell V3 Jolt and love it. I often measure things I don't even need to know about just b/c of lasers and stuff
booradley
AG
you need the watch PLUS a laser

spend the money on the watch, not the laser. most lasers will tell you the distance to the pin.

but all of us would play better if we just played to the middle distance

I look at the watch for EVERY shot. I use the laser for 1/3 of the shots.

and half of that time it doesn't change the club selection I already had in mind from looking at the WATCH...

and the WATCH is always useful on the tee box... or when you hit it so sideways that you can't see the pin...
BigHitterDaLama
I have the Leupold 3 the last few years but had a bushnell before that and never had an issue. Comes down to preference.

CTGilley
AG
I use the TecTecTec and it works great. I have compared it with others and never had a problem.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Just as important for me is how far I hit my clubs. I have an idea how far I hit but I do want to get it dialed in. Granted I know the range balls don't travel as far.

And I think a Laser Rangefinder will be very helpful on the driving range.
ORAggieFan
quote:
Shi it.. 3 responses and 3 different answers

• Don't buy cheap
  • My cheap one works great
  • $400 best on the market recommendation

I was looking at Nikon Coolshot 20. About $170 on Amazon.

I have this Nikon bought from Amazon. I really like it. In about 20 rounds probably two flags I couldn't hit (no reflectors or wind).
Mr.Bond
AG
Not a fan of the GPS watches. I play with a guy who wears one and his is always +/- 8-10 yards off. Its a garmin too
boy09
AG
I don't think I could play with a watch on. That would drive me nuts.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Watch adds weight to my arm...will slow down my already slowing down swing
ClassOf17
quote:
I don't use GPS or a Rangefinder while playing golf. Always felt I could tell the distance from 150 yards in. Though tall and short pins screw me up once in a while.

Every so often, playing with guys with GPS, they always blurt out...115 yards to the center.. and I can clearly see the pin is 90 yards away or 135 yards. Often times, I'm not even interested in how far it is to the center. I'm interested in how far is it to the pin, then where do I miss it.

I also find GPS golf app or devices aren't as accurate. But I think a laser rangefinder could be useful.

I started to research some and I see all different brands with a price range of $100 - $500.

I don't need anything fancy. I just need to know how far it is to a point I want to hit to or avoid.

Is one laser rangefinder better than the others?

I just use the standard bushnell one. It was $200 and I love it. Distances are absolutely spot on. Couldn't ask for anything else better
inozips
AG
Was given a Laser Link, damn handy. Use it on the range too. Could not have been much over $100.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I go with the gps. I like the front/middle/back. Every approach I'm just as concerned about where my room for error is as I am about knowing where the pin is.
Mr.Bond
AG
https://texags.com/forums/60/topics/2757493

In case you are looking
Ag81Golf
quote:
I don't think I could play with a watch on. That would drive me nuts.

I have the garmin watch. Wear it in the winter but not summer. Only time I am in the sun is to play golf and don't like the tan line it leaves on my arm. I just attach it to my belt loop. Works great.
aginlakeway
AG
I was going to post a for sale post, but I figured I would jump on this thread ...

I have a brand new Bushnell Tour V4 still in pouch, haven't even opened the battery door on it ...

$299 retail in stores and online.

http://bushnellgolf.com/Laser-Rangefinders/Tour-V4

PM me with a fair price. I'm thinking 225 including shipping?
sweet greggo
AG
I have a used bushnell v2 slope (slope does not work but regular range finder function works fine) for sale. I upgraded to the v3 that has a working slope. PM me if you want pictures.
Yesterday
AG
Get you a used one on ebay. I've been using a used bushnell for five years now and it works like a top. Another great advantage to a laser is that you can use it on the range to dial in your distances. A GPS won't do that. The downside to a laser is that you always need line of sight, but in most cases you can walk adjacent to your target until you find it.
LHIOB
AG
I also recently purchased one of these holders for easy access. Its awesome.

REMARCH11
AG
Bushnell, don't even waste your time with anything else!
bdgol07
AG
Tell me more about this mount
LHIOB
AG
quote:
Tell me more about this mount

http://caddiebuddy.com/laser-rangefinder-golf-cart-mount-holder-4-bushnell-callaway-nikon/?gclid=COf-uN_K5s0CFQyHaQodDLMCOw
Its pretty great. But also for extremly lazy people.
bdgol07
AG
I like it. With all the crap I have (humidor, drink, phone, portable radio, cigar holder, and all the ancillary crap that seems to accumulate) this could be a nice little space saver
Yesterday
AG
Sometimes it takes me 30-60 seconds to find my laser in one of the compartments, baskets, pockets etc and then I freak out for 1-2 minutes thinking I lost it before I find it.
LHIOB
AG
quote:
I like it. With all the crap I have (humidor, drink, phone, portable radio, cigar holder, and all the ancillary crap that seems to accumulate) this could be a nice little space saver

Yeah, I got tired of digging thru my crap in the cart. The first time I used it I left it on the cart so just be sure to make a mental note.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.